Parents Path to team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Total gymnastics newbie here so pardon my ignorance. We have two girls 6&8 who started in rec classes 6 months ago. Went from beginner to intermediate then oldest tested in advanced & we were told youngest did not but when I look at her testing score it's higher. So we reached out to inquire and were brought in for what we were thought was retesting for rec advanced but afterwards were told she should be in preteam, & the coach alluded that this preteam feeds the dp program. Right now neither is interesting in competing but my youngest does want to...at some point- more interested in xcel than dp as she does soccer & cheer too. Apparently my husband was told she would struggle in advanced but then why be ok on preteam? I'm just thoroughly confused & we seem so get different answers from different people. Is gymnastics advancement always this obscure? Can they go from rec to xcel or is preteam required or is that a gym specific question?

I was a newbie in 2021 when my daughter first joined a team, so I feel you! It can seem obscure at first. We've been at two gyms and at both preteam focuses on shaping, form, conditioning....and very little skill development. The idea is to ensure a gymnast can pick up the necessary shaping/form to compete and score well vs. picking up new skills. The "advanced" rec class is probably rec girls that already have certain skills your daughter doesn't have, thus the "struggle". For what it's worth, my daughter really disliked preteam and that's what drove a gym change, as another gym offered her a spot on an Xcel team. She absolutely loved it and has grown quickly, moving to Optionals (level 6 in the DP program) in a couple of weeks. Good luck and welcome to gymnastics! :)

I was a newbie in 2021 when my daughter first joined a team, so I feel you! It can seem obscure at first. We've been at two gyms and at both preteam focuses on shaping, form, conditioning....and very little skill development. The idea is to ensure a gymnast can pick up the necessary shaping/form to compete and score well vs. picking up new skills. The "advanced" rec class is probably rec girls that already have certain skills your daughter doesn't have, thus the "struggle". For what it's worth, my daughter really disliked preteam and that's what drove a gym change, as another gym offered her a spot on an Xcel team. She absolutely loved it and has grown quickly, moving to Optionals (level 6 in the DP program) in a couple of weeks. Good luck and welcome to gymnastics! :)
Great explanation! You've learned a lot in the last couple years.

Every gym is different. As far as her having the skills and not being moved up - this is an example of why.
I know from my experience a talented young six year old would generally be directed towards pre-team type classes because that is where they would likely be with other children of a similar age and ability.
I would be unlikely to put them in a higher level rec class as usually the group is significantly older, even if they can physically keep up skill wise - Most six year olds will need different variations on equipment and instructions compared the the average 8-10+ year old.

My preference is to place them with the right coach, who will be able to extend them individually in the lower class. There are rare exceptions that can cope socially, physically and mentally with older ones, so it is case by case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back