WAG Peeling off jumping to high bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been coaching level 4 for a few years now and am having a problem with my new level 4's that I've never had. They have all their skills but almost all of the girls have peeled off jumping to high bar at least once. The bars are close enough, and they are jumping hollow but still peeling off. When I watch, I really don't see an error. Is there something I could be missing? Any tips? I've been standing there for a few weeks now just in case, but ideally I don't want to have to stand there during meet season. Any help is appreciated thanks!

I have it on a 2 now, it was originally at 2 under 4 but I've been moving it closer to try and help. The girls are between 7-9 and all around 4 foot? maybe a little shorter.

On 2? I would put it at 1 above 4 or so (so 4 covered). You can also have them practice jumping from a block or from a beam balanced on blocks, and also building up a mat stack right in front of the high bar so they catch the bar and then swing into the mats.

Do they have grips?

They got grips in June. They've been jumping to high bar since June and the peeling just started this past month. I've been putting the resi under it too and they just peel onto that. When you say stack mats do you mean on top of the resi to stop them from moving forward?

Are their grips too big? Maybe their grips have stretched out and are alittle big now. It seems to matter more for the little ones...

If they are smaller than 4 ft then they should be able to swing through on the low bar - you could have them practice jumping from a floor bar to the low bar with correct shape. Maybe it isn't their shape on the jump, maybe it has to do with the timing of the kip out of the jump...

They got grips in June. They've been jumping to high bar since June and the peeling just started this past month. I've been putting the resi under it too and they just peel onto that. When you say stack mats do you mean on top of the resi to stop them from moving forward?

Hmm. Yes, mats basically so they catch the bar and are in a "hold" position, the position you want them to catch the bar in.

Also, rope climb without legs for grip strength.

Are their grips too big? Maybe their grips have stretched out and are alittle big now. It seems to matter more for the little ones...

If they are smaller than 4 ft then they should be able to swing through on the low bar - you could have them practice jumping from a floor bar to the low bar with correct shape. Maybe it isn't their shape on the jump, maybe it has to do with the timing of the kip out of the jump...

I don't think their grips have stretched out yet but I haven't checked, I will do that tonight. A few of them don't extend their glide fully on high bar, could this be making them peel? Thanks for the help.

should be zero shape change from the moment you leave the low bar until you are adding the extension onto the swing to kip. That will help. Drill this from a block.

should be zero shape change from the moment you leave the low bar until you are adding the extension onto the swing to kip. That will help. Drill this from a block.
I don't want to hijack the post, but I'm wondering why this high bar kip technique is necessary (particularly for optional level gymnastics).

I don't want to hijack the post, but I'm wondering why this high bar kip technique is necessary (particularly for optional level gymnastics).
Because the kid that jumps with a nice shape will beat the kid who does not (equally performed routines of course). It also cuts down on the peels in the Lowe levels.

[QUOTE="gymcoach1, post: I've been standing there for a few weeks now just in case, but ideally I don't want to have to stand there during meet season. [/QUOTE]

Yes you do in case they peel!

Because the kid that jumps with a nice shape will beat the kid who does not (equally performed routines of course). It also cuts down on the peels in the Lowe levels.
But what if the gymnast jumps and catches in a hollow, then archs their shoulders to get their feet somewhat behind their torso, and then hollow/pikes to get their toes to the bar for the kip? I don't see what's wrong with this technique as all shapes are tight. I can see how it might cause kids that do not wear grips to peel though.

a good judge should take off for it. And there is no technique involved, it's called lazy. Some of my kids do it, drives me crazy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back