MAG Phoenix area open gym times?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

OwlGalLiz

Proud Parent
We are about to embark on a road trip the end of next week. Due to the holiday our gym is closed all week. We will be in the Phoenix area the following week and then road tripping home via the Grand Canyon the majority of the next week. My son is already asking if there are any gyms that he can go to while in Arizona. I know three weeks out of the gym at his age isn't that big a deal, but if we can find at least one open gym time he'd be over the moon. We've already planned for him to go to LegoFest while we are there. Our family/friends in the area don't have anyone in gymnastics, so we don't have anyone who can recommend anything at this time. Anyone know of any that he could do?

Umm..."The Phoenix Area" encompasses valley wide, and it is a very large area. If you are in Phoenix, Desert Devils(Mesa) could be an hour away from where you are, depending upon traffic and which part of Phoenix you are in. If you want, PM me where you will be staying, and I can tell you which gyms are closest to you and which ones have boys gymnastics (therefor boys equipment) that you can take him to.
Bear in mind it is super hot down here right now (121 today) and most gyms here only have fans and swamp coolers. Our kids are pretty used to it-yours may not be. Drink LOTS of water!!

We are open (don't have a room yet) the first part of the week. Most of our family and friends are in the Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa areas. So we figure we will probably stay near some of them. The latter half of the week we will be at the convention center/Sheraton. If that helps any? We are used to driving distances to get places and heat, though we have humidity. So he is used to it. Thanks for your input.

You can always just call a couple and see if he can work out with the level he is in! I know we have boys all summer that are in and out as they are staying here, and they come to work out with our boys. They love it because they get to know gymnasts from all over!

Thanks for the tips. He's already itching to get back in a gym and this is just the start of of week one. Lol. It's going to be a long three weeks. I love his enthusiasm though.

they may be all melted to the ground by time you get there. swamp coolers can't keep up with that kinda heat.:)

Well, at least he won't need to bring a singlet or workout shirt!

We go to the west coast every summer for a few weeks, and our kids drop in for a few workouts at the gym in that town with others at their levels. It's been fun for everyone -- DD and DS like seeing how another program works and how different coaches run their practices. They've both made some friends on the other gym's team. Another of DS's teammates does the same thing in Kentucky. My impression is that the sport in general is very generous that way. The coaches we've seen and heard about have been really great in working with visitors.

My dd works out at a gym near where my parents live when we visit. She loves it. We have also dropped in for a workout at other gyms a couple times on vacation as well. She loves working with new coaches and meeting all the new girls. She is even starting to form little relationships with some of the girls.

My experience is that they are always really excited to have her. Sometimes I have to pay for training hours and others they have just said it is their pleasure to support a traveling gymnast and haven't charged me anything. We also have visiting kids work out at our gym from time to time too.

Just make sure it is a reputable place with good safety and such. I usually run it by her coach before we go so that she can give me the ok.

For kids that do well with new experiences and can't stand being out of the gym for more that a few days it is a great option. Any more than a couple of days and my dd is going batty. She thinks the three days over the weekend is too long to be out of the gym :)

That is my son exactly. He is itching to get into a gym (ours is closed this week) and we leave for our road trip tomorrow. By next week when we get to Phoenix he will be bouncing off the hotel walls and furniture. Lol.

We found a gym the first part of our trip in New Braunfels and he was over the moon excited (I didn't tell him until we were leaving to go that I had found it). But now he's wanting to go again. We are put until Sunday. So I guess I need to see what I can do.

Azgymmiemom- thanks again. He had a wonderful time working out with the guys and hasn't stopped talking about it. Our babysitter fell through, so a relative is taking him to work tomorrow (he's a minister) so unfortunately he can't make it tomorrow. If it was up to him he would be. Everyone in your gym is so nice and friendly!

Azgymmiemom- thanks again. He had a wonderful time working out with the guys and hasn't stopped talking about it. Our babysitter fell through, so a relative is taking him to work tomorrow (he's a minister) so unfortunately he can't make it tomorrow. If it was up to him he would be. Everyone in your gym is so nice and friendly!

The coaches said he kept up really well! Glad he enjoyed it!! And if you ever get out this way again, you know where to come ;) Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

Thanks! We got the exciting news yesterday that he is officially level 4 and on team now. He is super excited and can't wait to go back to practice and show everyone what his new friends in Arizona taught him. So it's been a great convention/trip all around so far.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back