Photography/Camera Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last year I was a Level 5 and there were two girls on my team whose dads were photographers. Now that I am in Optionals, we no longer have this. My camera is not able to take high-quality action shots without flash and I am looking to purchase a new one. I am currently not able to spend more than $350 on a camera so I am looking for some input. First of all, is it really possible to get a good camera for this purpose within my price range? I would like the camera to be able to take good pictures in dim gym light without flash and be able to take clear action shots of gymnasts in motion without being blurry. I found two cameras for sale within my price range and I have posted links to them here. If you could check them out and give me some input, that would be great. Also, if you have any other reccomendations or tips, I would love to hear them. Thanks! :)

Camera #1 Sony DSCHX1 - 9.1 Mega-Pixel with 20X zoom and 1080P movie - American TV

Camera #2 Kodak EasyShare Z981 14.0MP Digital Camera : Digital cameras | RadioShack.com

I am a photographer. The more expensive the camera the better you will be able to a capture what you want. Same for the lenses. I would either look on Ebay for a gently used DSLR. Or I would buy a flip camera for video. It is very hard to capture a still pic in the conditions of some of the meets. We take the team pics. There have been several meets where the lighting was so poor that we just have to put it down. You need a DSLR so that it will be fast enough to stop the action and an expensive lens to let the light in. I really think your best bet is to video and use a Flip Camera.

I would have to agree that a DSLR is the way to go. I used one for the first time this weekend at a meet and I have to say that the pics were the best I have ever taken. You should be able to find one used on ebay much less than buying new.

Although I agree with both previous posters that DSLR is certainly the way to go, I checked the two cameras that you posted and was surprised to find that their lenses are faster than I thought. The aperture of a lens is what determines how much light can go through so that you can take clear pictures in low light. I will say however that even looking through ebay, you will need to spend more than $350.00 to buy a camera that can take pictures in "meet" conditions. If you have the time, you can look through ebay for "cheaper" cameras, but make sure you are looking for cameras with "fast" lenses. Look for cameras that have an aperture of under 2. I've found that lenses with a 2.8f aperture still has trouble taking clear pictures. A father of one of our gymnasts uses a lens with 2.8f and still has to play and/or push the ISO to its limit (speed of the film so to speak) and then he still has to trick or force his camera to shoot at it largest aperture. The pictures come out pretty good but it is still a little grainy or noisy. Valleytwister23, buying a camera for the purposes you've indicated can be a little tricky. If you cannot spend a lot of money (fast lenses cost around a thousand and up) and don't have a lot of experience taking action shots in low light, it'll be difficult (not impossible) to get the right camera. Another option may be to just videotape your meets and leave the still photos to the meet photographers. Let me know if you find a camera in your price range that meets your needs cause it will be great find.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back