Coaches "pinging" Gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is there anyone out there that can help me with my gymnasts "grip" (or lack thereof) on Bar.

She 7 and seems to be unable to hold onto the bar with or without handguards and I am finding it increasing frustrating as until she is able to do this I cannot teach her anything other than upward circle and backhip circle. In other areas she is very good and I think she has quite a bit of talent but her bars are going to let her down big time.
Please any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

When she hangs on the bar does she have her palms on top of the bar with her fingers curled over the front and a bend at the wrist. That is the first thing I would check. That she is not hanging on her fingers. If she has little hands that might be hard for her.
Then I would do a lot of grip strength work hanging , hand walking along the bar, swing and regrasp .etc etc. All that sort of stuff. All stuff she can do at home with a chin up bar, chins, leg lifts all keeping palms on top without getting off the bar until she increases her hang time. Just use it to do loads of shape holds and conditioning stuff. That is all I can think of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back