Parents Plantars Wart?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
My dd has a plantars wart on the bottom of her foot. She's had it for a couple of weeks I think although she only told me about it recently. I applied some OTC wart freezing stuff, but it will take a couple of weeks to work, if it even works. I wasn't there, but apparently yesterday it was really hurting her on the beam when they were working on turns. She said the coach wanted to know why she wasn't completing them and when she told her, her coach wrapped it in some tape and sent her to another beam to work on split jumps instead. My dd told me that her coach said wrapping it was just to keep the chalk out and that it wouldn't really help it not hurt..

So, does anyone have any tips for helping her do gymnastics with it in the short term? Should I be wrapping it for hygiene reasons? Anything to help it not hurt so much on the beam? Any good home remedies for getting rid of it quicker? Thanks!

Those hurt. I was in great pain from one two summers ago. After about six months, I read that I should try duct tape on it. The chemical in the adhesive is supposed to work to remove them. It worked right away and was effective! I don't know if it was just time for it to heal or it really was the duct tape, but is worth a shot!

DD had a few at one time. Took us a while to get rid of them. We did the freezing thing every other night, and duck tape overnight.
For practice she was told to wear a sock while she had them, because they could spread to others. I'm not sure if it's actually true, but she did.

Thanks guys! I'd read about the duct tape, but didn't know if it really worked or not. I know it sounds gross, but it doesn't really look like much of anything at least. I'll also check with her coach about how she wants to cover it up during practice.

I would have her use the duct tape all of the time if at all possible, at least to prevent spreading it to her teammates or even herself. Think about her socks switching feet. If the wart isn't covered, she could infect her other foot. Duct tape just seems to stay on so much better than anything else. I use it on my feet to prevent blisters when I run. It's the only thing I've found that doesn't move or come off.

As far as removing it, I would just take her to the doctor. It sounds like it's painful. It probably just needs to be gone quickly. My friend's daughter lost a season of bars from a wart the developed on her palm. No fun.

We call them verrucas in UK, DD has suffered with them, duct tape worked well once we found out about it, we had tried the stuff from the doctor without affect. They are definitely contagious, but usually in damp conditions like swimming pools OR if you have any broken skin (which gymnasts may well have), so covering them is only fair to the rest of the gym.

Had heaps of the little pests here too. Feet and hands. kids are more likely to get them due to their immature immune systems. The virus gets in anywhere the skin is broken. Our doc said the tape works because the wart gets starved of oxygen and hence dies. So anything that doesn't let the skin breath will work. He said there was some evidence that something in banana skins also helped which we tried but DD didn't like the slippery feel so that only lasted a day! We have frozen a few but it hurts and are currently trying a wart-off stick (salicylic acid) and the O2 starving technique combined. DD has really persistent warts :(

Good luck in getting rid of them, and may they never return :)

I was a swimmer and remember having those as a kid. Ouch!!
I grew up in Europe and I remember trying several different things, the wart medications from the store didn't do much. What finally got rid of mine was painting them with wood tar, covering my feet and sleeping with that concoction for a few days or so. I can still conjure up the smell.... ;) Took care of them though! Duct tape sounds much nicer!

Definitely cover it while at gym, and think about who else uses her bathroom etc at home as well. Good luck!

Duct tape worked for my DD! She picked a really cute patterned one at the store and just wrapped her toe with it every day. It was gone within a week or two without needing any other treatment. It's not come back either.

this ^^^

What do you do with duck tape? Wrap it up at night - directly against the duck tape?
Or is the duck tape good for working out?
Knock on wood - never had a planters wart... not sure where/when you are taping
;)

Duct tape worked here too as a last resort after everything else failed!

My boss just had one removed and the dermatologist told him to keep it covered with duck tape for a few weeks to really kill it and make sure it doesn't come back. So it seems the duck tape method is Dr approved! If its not a super deep wart you may be able to get rid of it with just the duck tape. Just keep it on day and night for awhile and see if that helps. Not sure how often you change it out though?

Can I ask those of you that have used duck tape have you had any problems with it not sticking? I have tried both actual duck tape and cheaper brands but none of them stay stuck to my dd foot, within half an hour of me putting it on it's fallen off even when she is sat down doing nothing! She does have sweaty feet so not sure if that's why it won't stay stuck.

Okay, just went through it. We did not use duct tape, although, that was going to be our next step. As above, we heard it works very well on stubborn warts--probably because layers of dead skin come off with the tape.

We tried one of the OTC freeze remedies, and it didn't work. Took to the pediatrician to get a reccomendation to a podiatrist. Instead, the pediatrician took a scalpel and shaved off many of the top layers of the wart in the office to give us a head start.

He told us to use an OTC liquid wart remover. Soak each nightin warm water for 5 min, scrub wart with a pumice stone to exfoliate, then apply liquid wart remover. But we HAD to do it daily, twice if we could.

Wart was totally gone in about 6 weeks, and the discomfort was much less after about 3 weeks.

If it hadn't worked, we were going to a add duct tape to the routine, after the medicine had dried.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back