WAG Playing it safe or standing out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
Just after everyone's opinions :)

When it comes to floor music, is it best to play it safe and choose something that judges will all like, or something that is a love or hate track but will make you stand out?

DD has gone for the latter for her new routine. Part of me worries she may be judged harshly against those with dainty non offensive music, but I know her choice really suits her style of gymnastics, so we'll just have to see how it is recieved :)

My oldest got to pick her own floor music for her grades a few weeks ago, she picked "The Final Countdown" as it was what she wanted, it was also a crowd pleaser as it was a popular song and appealed to audiences over a certain age. Some one picked the theme tune for "Dads Army" that was unusal but another toe tapper.

Definitely stand out! My music is pretty unusual too, but it fits me and that's what makes it unique. Think about it...the people that make the floor music wouldn't sell it if nobody liked it ;)

Good day folks.

Playing it safe or standing out? Standout I say by bringing high quality movements that compliment the presentation of the skills and support the musical theme. Do not standout by too edgy music or dance. This is an older traditional sport performed by modern gymnasts. I imagine all coaches can guide what is too edgy.

More complete answer below:
Choose dance (supporting music) not only for the moment, but for development.
As a Team Director I meet with athletes/parents in April/May. We review the previous year and establish skill, Team, athlete and competitive goals. One part of the athlete goals (L6-9) includes "dance." Dance, for the mtg., are the expression and quality movements in presentation of the FX and BB routines. Most of my L6-9's have specifics that they are improving in their ballet and dance technique. I include the dance goals within their upcoming FX and BB routines, within reason.

At the end of the mtg. we coaches create a routine planner. The FX routine planner portion includes suggested and required FX skills to be competed. Certainly these change, but we need it early to work and choreograph routines.

The athletes have been tasked to provide a short list (at the most 3 pieces of music) they are interested in. We review the music. Our team goals, different than many, is to have our athletes perform their FX routines in more of a collegial style. The higher energy and pace works for us. The two of us who coach the Optional groups have been collaborating on potential music for the athletes all season and late spring. We have suggested music ready for the athletes. Caveats include the music not be instantly recognizable (pop/movie music), have words that can be sung (obviously the music can not have words) and include a single music section to showcase some more classical dance elements.

Coaches choose and coordinate with the gymnast/parent in regards to the music. The athlete must love the music. We know the athlete well and having the best interest of the gymnast, including dance development, frequently have made alternative suggestions. In almost all cases the athlete/parent agree. I imagine, like most other coaches, I have seen, heard countless more FX music than the parent or gymnast. We have kept lists of suggested music and possible music per athlete on a collaborated "dropbox document" over the past year.

One example that pops to mind is that of a younger L8 Optional gymnast who needs more smooth movements to accompany her strong, powerful athletics. Her music selections were age predictable and were music she and heard at competitions. We suggested, from our list, similar music style, but more novel music, that had "space" to include or challenge her dance goals. Ballet time, scheduled during summer/Fall workouts have been worked in advance to include the dance elements that this athlete will be aiming at performing. Hard goal, smooth, expressive dance elements, but achievable with effort.

If I choose music and the accompanying dance not for the immediate moment, the gymnast develops and grows. Hopefully not lost in my long post is music appropriate for the gymnast, development and something that she will be able to look back in time and proudly enjoy.

Best, SBG -

Always out of the box music. I choreographed a routine to the music Catherine Lyons just got finished using last year and it was always a head turner, but she always scored very well because of it.

I like stand outs, personally. Will you share what music it is?
Always out of the box music. I choreographed a routine to the music Catherine Lyons just got finished using last year and it was always a head turner, but she always scored very well because of it.

Well DD is following in the footsteps of one of her favourite gymnasts, Claudia Fragapane, and is using her floor music from last year, aka Shake Break Bounce by Chemical Brothers :)

Well DD is following in the footsteps of one of her favourite gymnasts, Claudia Fragapane, and is using her floor music from last year, aka Shake Break Bounce by Chemical Brothers :)

That's great music and I'm sure her routine will be great! :)

That is definitely something I would want to see! I think she'll do great!

Stand out! Think of how many routines a judge is going to sit there and watch in one session, let alone a whole weekend. It's human nature that they all start to blend together in a sense... it's always nice to get that breath of fresh air, so to say.

I think it needs to be something that resonates with them and allows them to "show it off". Just about any music can be used to create a great floor routine (believe me I think our gym has done that) but for it to be a great scoring routine, it needs to have all the elements and just fit the kid so well that the judges (and the audience) tune in. Having something unique that hasn't been picked by ten other girls at the meet seems to always be welcomed.

My music is very different that I know no one else has. I loved it. All of my other teammates also had unique pieces. It doesn't matter what the music is, the judges will score on the performance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back