Parents Please advise: a very long struggle for a kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel for you......two years ago I didn't even know what the kip was let along it was something that took over dd gym life for close to a year. One thing I swear helped dd was these xertube upper body workout resistency band's that helped build her arms and reminded her to keep arms straight. Her pre team coach had suggested them.

Just an fyi.....I'm not sure if it's true or not but I once read it took Shawn Johnson two years to get her kip. Remind dd to stay determined and it WILL happen for her!

Reactions: sce
Oh the kip.....no advice here except patience and don't make a big deal about it, but boy can I relate! Many are familiar with the kip struggles of Puma Jr. I would say it was about 18 months from first made kip to consistent decent kip. It's still not as pretty as many, but it's not the worst at a meet anymore! And now trying to get a kip-CHS...I fear this may be another 18 months! Lol Good luck!! She WILL get it!!!!

My dd struggled too. She actually finally got her long hang kip first, coming out of the squat on-jump to high bar. Something about that momentum gained from the jump was enough to help her get it over the bar. After she did that and understood what it felt like, the glide kip on the low bar came quickly. Had she tried long hang kips? Maybe that would work? Hang in there, I understand how frustrating and discouraging it can be.
This worked for someone I knew also.

Thanks all for the encouraging stories! I am interested to see the video, could not get it to work. I think she has tried a million drills, even wearing sneakers! Anyone heard that one? She has tried long hang kips and again with small spot makes them,none without. I will keep the faith!!!

Has she tried doing them on the strap bar? Most of my gymnasts get their first kips on high strap bar with gloves, not the pipe. When they get consistent on the strap bar it usually doesn't take long to get consistent with the low bar kip. Especially if they are already almost there with the low bar kip like your daughter seems to be.

[

All I have to say is,,,,,,, if your gym is teaching kips like the gym in the video,,,, your kids are going to have horrible technique........

No we are not. I just think the video is fun to watch. It describes the struggle of getting the kip very well - being so close but not quite making it, having to do hundreds of repetitions etc. And watching the coach's expressions is fun too. I though the gymnast's technique or form weren't relevant. The main point why I think this video is good and fun is the the way it shows the long journey to get the kip and the joy of finally getting it in the end. It could be a gymnast with good form and better technique as well.

[

All I have to say is,,,,,,, if your gym is teaching kips like the gym in the video,,,, your kids are going to have horrible technique........
My Dds gym didn't teach it this way either....but it truly was a joyous video to watch. I loved watching how excited the coach got as well as the child.

So I understand the limitations of the video with ball in Leo, but is it worth trying coachp? One of the coaches thinks she may be 'blocked', if the ball helped her make a few maybe her confidence would increase?

If I showed you my DD first kip, you would fire her then coach......now she can do it from a dead hang. She will get it.
I have video of maybe not the very first kip, but from that week and yea.....not so good...LOL!!! OP, she will get it! There was a time I couldn't fathom being able to give someone else hope, but she WILL get it! :)

No we are not. I just think the video is fun to watch. It describes the struggle of getting the kip very well - being so close but not quite making it, having to do hundreds of repetitions etc. And watching the coach's expressions is fun too. I though the gymnast's technique or form weren't relevant. The main point why I think this video is good and fun is the the way it shows the long journey to get the kip and the joy of finally getting it in the end. It could be a gymnast with good form and better technique as well.

I agree. It makes me wish I had a video compilation of Dd's journey. It's such a hard fought skill, I think it's awesome to have record.

So I understand the limitations of the video with ball in Leo, but is it worth trying coachp? One of the coaches thinks she may be 'blocked', if the ball helped her make a few maybe her confidence would increase?

If she's doing it with the right form, I don't think it would work. It looks like it helps for muscling it up.

I understand but I see it as a long journey to learn something that is going to completely handicap the child on bars.. Just saying. Like teaching your kid addition for months and months and months wrong.... :)

No matter what the kip should be learned with straight arms and straight legs with a hollow body, not muscling up.

I understand but I see it as a long journey to learn something that is going to completely handicap the child on bars.. Just saying. Like teaching your kid addition for months and months and months wrong.... :)

Yeah, I agree with that. It's not my gymnast on the video and I don't teach the kip that way. Just a fun video on Youtube from 8 years back :)

Coachp- the kip where I have a slight disconnect with the coaching perspective......obviously form is extremely important. But a skill like the kip, which is taught young, is a very difficult skill conceptually. This is where I think success vs. form is more important. There is no such thing as a correct FIRST kip......A correct good kip can take several months to a year to clean up which is why it is an 'option' in L3. No one uses it here unless it's clean. By L4 it better be clean.
My point is, sometimes success on a skill can be just as valuable for the motivation of the kid to continue to learn and improve. OP Child must be so discouraged and hopeless, much like my DD was. She could not have success learning the kip because her coach was ahead of her, pushing body position and arms....she just wanted to get over...

And don't get be started on bent elbows....which is something we will see a lot of at the Olympics....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back