PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! i would love anyone's opinon on this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnasticsbabie

so i've already posted this on another forum as a reply, but i thought i would post it here too.. so its about if i should go elite or not. so i really need some help on this one because im stuck right now. i'd love ANYONE's opinon on this because i really really need help and i have to decide soon.

i have a problem though. my coaches say i can move up to the elite group but im already a junior. i would be competing for the UK. My parents talked to some of the people for British gymnastics and they said that be invited to Challenge cup (the meet to qualify you to British Championships) and then hopefully qualify through to Championships (you only need a 48.00 to qualify you, so hopefully not that hard).
so the problem is first of all i think im too old (i just turned 16 last week) and i would only be an elite until i go to college, unless i train elite in college like alicia sacramone does or like shavahn church does, which is like a year and a half away! so my question then would be, should i go for it?? HELP!

the second problem is to be an elite at my gym you have to be homeschooled. my parents...well... they don't really like the idea of me being homeschooled lol. so how do you think i should convince them? HELP!

okay the THIRD problem is if i decide to stay in the A group (the group i train in now) then my bar setting will be at 2 below F instead of at FIG (2 below F is 4 below FIG... does that make sense haha). I don't know if i can adjust to going at FIG. i used to swing bars at FIG but now i swing further out at 2 below F. so im wondering if i should just stay in the group im in now and keep trying to adjust.

This summer im going over to England if i decide that i want to pursue an elite career.

PLEASE HELP i would love any help/ opinions on this because im really confused as to what i should do.

wait, do you live in the US now? why would you go all the way over to england to train elite? US has a pretty good system. I have to say that you are never to old to go elite, and if its really what you want to do, then do it. You could always get a scholarship and do college gymnastics later [in the US i mean]

sorry, yea i do live in the US, but im not a citizen. I have dual citizenship with canada and england. but we have a lot of relatives in england, and my brother goes to college in england. so i really want to do it in england. thank you so much for your advice though. right now anything helps!

Would you be more likely to make elite in england then US? I think you should go for it! 16 is not too old at all! From what I've seen from your videos on youtube you are reallly good and you can definitely be elite! As for homeschooling.... I don't really know what to say. I don't know you parents but if they know that this is your dream and you have to be homeschooled to do it i'm sure they will let you........ Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Go for it, your age really isn't important. There is nothing wrong with training elite while you are in college unless you decide to travel a long way from the gym. Aslo if you are an elite gymnast there is nothing wrong with putting college off for a few years to continue your career. In the long run it will make very little different if you go to college at 18 or 20 or 22 or whenever you decide you are ready. Many people who spend a few years outside of school after finishing high school say they find the college experience even easier and more fulfilling. Many colleges are flexible with schedules for elite athletes and may allow you to work your classes around training if you choose to do both at once other colleges allow elite athletes the chance to extend their degree to allow more time for training. I really hate the idea that people have in their minds that finishing high school is finishing their club gymnastics career. Thats crazy, you are not over the hill at 18!

Possibly the most important question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you will regret not going for it. It's kinda a now or never thing, and when you are older will you always be plaged by the question what if I had gone for it, what if I was given the chance to be the best I could be? Isn't there a saying, something about you only regret the things in life you didn't do.

You need to do what you feel is best for you. Dont let anyone discourage you. There are several older gymnast competing in the olympics nodays, so dont let your age stop you!

Possibly the most important question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you will regret not going for it. It's kinda a now or never thing, and when you are older will you always be plaged by the question what if I had gone for it, what if I was given the chance to be the best I could be? Isn't there a saying, something about you only regret the things in life you didn't do.
good point there. i also think that if you want to try elite, then go for it! like tumblerK said tho, if you chose not to, i think the question of "what would have happened if i did go for it" would still be brought to your attention. in my view, you should go for it and see how it goes. and for the homeschooling... my parents arent too up for homeschooling either so i have managed to stay at public schools. is there someone that you could homeschool with? i mean so ur parents dont have to do that. i hope this helps! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back