WAG Please help me to understand these new vaults

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
A few questions about these crazy new vaults: 1) which one is the hardest? My daughter is competing level 6 and has been working all 3 timers. It would appear that the tsuk timer is the easiest for her. They had a practice meet, and she did the front handspring timer. I have no clue if it was good or not. She could have gotten a 7 or a 9 for all I know. She had a very solid fhs vault on level 4, but it looks like the front timer is a totally different vault than the fhs vault. 2) what are they looking for with the fhs timer? I think her coach likes her trying the fhs timer to help with blocking?? But no one else anywhere seems to be using that timer, so is it a bad choice?

If you want to learn more about what the judges are looking for in the new L6/L7 vaults, this video is a great tool. In all 3 vault options, proper shapes and a strong block that will lead to good amplitude for the vault are key.

First I’m mostly happy my kid will not have to deal with this. Hopefully will have her first L8 meet in the next couple of weeks (she is coming off an injury).

Next I had decided not to sweat vaul. Not that I sweat a lot, I pretty much let the coaches do their thing. It’s so new and it’s really a pass through vault L8 vault gets real with flipping. The best timer, would the vault that leads them to the vault they will be actually flipping. In our gym it happens to be a tsuk.

Just my very ignorant parent POV

Edit to add consult with kid. Our 6/7 are doing half one onto the mat. According to kid. It’s about working(?) the block for the tsuk

Reactions: sce
Some of the vaults in the video received a deduction for “dynamics.” What exactly does that mean, and does it apply to events other than vault?

Some of the vaults in the video received a deduction for “dynamics.” What exactly does that mean, and does it apply to events other than vault?
Yes, on vault it is an "up to 0.3" deduction and on events other than vault it is an "up to 0.2" deduction. According to the COP, dynamics should consider whether "energy is maintained throughout the exercise" and if the gymnast "makes [the] difficult look effortless." To some extent, it's a you know it when you see it, but sluggish or slow/low tumbling, slow/muscled swings on bars, vaults that melt over the table instead of popping off, a loose body, or looking out-of-energy by the end of a routine will net a dynamics deduction.

Haha, I was talking with our gym owner about this brave new world at our meet. It's going to be a while before most people looking at these things can see the difference between a low 8 and a low 9. Things like direction of rebound, shapes, angle of repulsion off the table, etc. will all be important beyond the obvious stuff most parents can learn to see in a FHS vault.

First I’m mostly happy my kid will not have to deal with this. Hopefully will have her first L8 meet in the next couple of weeks (she is coming off an injury).

Next I had decided not to sweat vaul. Not that I sweat a lot, I pretty much let the coaches do their thing. It’s so new and it’s really a pass through vault L8 vault gets real with flipping. The best timer, would the vault that leads them to the vault they will be actually flipping. In our gym it happens to be a tsuk.

Just my very ignorant parent POV

Edit to add consult with kid. Our 6/7 are doing half one onto the mat. According to kid. It’s about working(?) the block for the tsuk
I agree under normal circumstances, but in particular, I am baffled by the front handspring timer which no one else seems to be using. I just wanted a little but of a clue.

I agree under normal circumstances, but in particular, I am baffled by the front handspring timer which no one else seems to be using. I just wanted a little but of a clue.

One reason (among many) that you may not see as many gymnasts competing the front handspring timer is that the flipping vault it prepares the gymnast for (FHS Front Tuck/Pike) cannot be competed until level 9, while Yurchenko and Tsuk vaults (tucked or piked) can be competed at level 8.

My daughter found the video below helpful (was shared with her team by the coaches).... maybe you will too?

My DD's L7 group is mostly doing tsuk timers. There are a couple who are doing one tsuk timer and one yurchenko timer (best score counts). No front handspring timers. Regardless of vault performed, at our first meet, the L7 vault scores were clustered mostly between 8.5-9.1. I found this lack of variability in score sort of surprising, and quite different from the front handspring vault last year. On our team, the highest scoring vaults were the girls who had tons of power and went flying out of their vaults.

Regardless of vault performed, at our first meet, the L7 vault scores were clustered mostly between 8.5-9.1. I found this lack of variability in score sort of surprising, and quite different from the front handspring vault last year.

I think the clustering of the scores probably reflects the fact that many judges are not yet comfortable scoring these vaults.

One reason (among many) that you may not see as many gymnasts competing the front handspring timer is that the flipping vault it prepares the gymnast for (FHS Front Tuck/Pike) cannot be competed until level 9, while Yurchenko and Tsuk vaults (tucked or piked) can be competed at level 8.
I know! I forgot to add that in my original post. That was sort of the point of my question. Is there some unknown reason why she would do this timer over the other two? Does it help with blocking for instance?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back