WAG Pls help with my kip/upstart

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lottiebrow

Gymnast
I’m trying hard to learn my kip at home everyday. I only do 30-40 minutes a week at my gymnastics club but at home I train 1-4 hour’s everyday I’ve been trying to learn it for 1 week now pls help! Have you got any tips?

Impossible to give you any good advice without a video.

But is your coach having you work on kips at the gym or is it something you have just decided to do?

It’s not a dangerous skill, but if your coach hasn’t got you working on it at the gym then I would suggest you wait until they do before working it at home.

A kip takes good strength and good technique. If you try to do it before you have the strength and prerequisites then you will have to compensate in other ways and you will develop bad habits.

Once ingrained, bad habits are very difficult to unlearn. Working on it before you are ready could cause you to have a very poor kip, which may halt your progress on bars altogether later on.

To give you an idea of the sort of strength coaches look for before starting the nipping process.
5 connected glide swings
Chin up pullovers on high bar
A good number of leg lifts to touch the top with straight and together legs
Hold a hollow hold with your back flat to the floor for 30 seconds
A good number of V snaps with straight legs in 30 seconds.

If you really want to be able to kip. I would not worry about working in the kip at home. I would develop strength instead.

The other important thing to realise is that nobody gets a kip in a week. It sounds like you think you are struggling because you have worked on it for a week and not achieved it. You are not struggling!

If you ever see a kid get a kip in the first week of trying it’s because they have already been working the drills for quite sometime.

Most kids learning kips are doing a lot more hours in the gym, and have been drilling it for a while. And it takes them a long time to learn it.

Impossible to give you any good advice without a video.

But is your coach having you work on kips at the gym or is it something you have just decided to do?

It’s not a dangerous skill, but if your coach hasn’t got you working on it at the gym then I would suggest you wait until they do before working it at home.

A kip takes good strength and good technique. If you try to do it before you have the strength and prerequisites then you will have to compensate in other ways and you will develop bad habits.

Once ingrained, bad habits are very difficult to unlearn. Working on it before you are ready could cause you to have a very poor kip, which may halt your progress on bars altogether later on.

To give you an idea of the sort of strength coaches look for before starting the nipping process.
5 connected glide swings
Chin up pullovers on high bar
A good number of leg lifts to touch the top with straight and together legs
Hold a hollow hold with your back flat to the floor for 30 seconds
A good number of V snaps with straight legs in 30 seconds.

If you really want to be able to kip. I would not worry about working in the kip at home. I would develop strength instead.

The other important thing to realise is that nobody gets a kip in a week. It sounds like you think you are struggling because you have worked on it for a week and not achieved it. You are not struggling!

If you ever see a kid get a kip in the first week of trying it’s because they have already been working the drills for quite sometime.

Most kids learning kips are doing a lot more hours in the gym, and have been drilling it for a while. And it takes them a long time to learn it.
Aside from drills, how long should it take to learn a kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back