Off Topic PM’s?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I agree with not letting minors PM adults besides staff but a few things that I think should be rethinked are the not letting minors post in the parents section. I like that we can still view it but some threads may not be only for parents. Someone may put it in the parent section because that is where they think most of the experienced people will come from But on some topics a gymnast who is A minor may have a lot of experience with travel meets as an example. I also think that minors being able to PM other minors is definitely a good idea. I am not thinking this will be completely private and no one can see it, I think that it should be very very very carefully monitored. I think maybe having notification on a staff member‘s account when a minor pm’s another minor would be good so they don’t have to check so often.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, it would be unrealistic to expect mods to monitor private conversations between younger gymnasts. I definitely enjoyed PMing other teen gymnasts on the platform, however at the end of the day I think the safety aspect should come first.

I also think restricting non parents from the parents section was a good move for the most part, since some people seem to just not like the presence of younger teens here….read the anonymous thread “Ready to tap out of Chalk Bucket”. You’ll see. Some people have an issue with younger gymnasts getting information from others, and I would rather NOT wander into their territory, if that’s what they really want. However, I think the problem with that is, as you mentioned, you may have something to add even if you’re not a parent. But I honestly don’t mind too much. I can see how it may annoy more experienced teens though.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, it would be unrealistic to expect mods to monitor private conversations between younger gymnasts. I definitely enjoyed PMing other teen gymnasts on the platform, however at the end of the day I think the safety aspect should come first.
Pretty much sums it up.

The site staff doesn't get paid; we all have day jobs, and families, and pets, and hobbies, and other side projects.... moderating the CB is mostly just something we slip in here and there when we have a few minutes to spare. Monitoring the communications of our minor members (which is an age group that often has a lot to talk about with each other) would be way more work than any of us are willing to take on.

As for the parents section, sometimes parents just want to talk to other parents. That's the purpose of the parents' section.

Pretty much sums it up.

The site staff doesn't get paid; we all have day jobs, and families, and pets, and hobbies, and other side projects.... moderating the CB is mostly just something we slip in here and there when we have a few minutes to spare. Monitoring the communications of our minor members (which is an age group that often has a lot to talk about with each other) would be way more work than any of us are willing to take on.

As for the parents section, sometimes parents just want to talk to other parents. That's the purpose of the parents' section.
This makes sense. Would it theoretically be possible to have a gymnast section? I completely understand if that's not realistic and may be more work but just a thought that way gymnasts could talk to each other not necessarily in PM's.

This makes sense. Would it theoretically be possible to have a gymnast section? I completely understand if that's not realistic and may be more work but just a thought that way gymnasts could talk to each other not necessarily in PM's.
I believe there used to be a gymnast section, but it got archived. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but I think that's what happened. It would be cool if it came back, though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back