Off Topic poem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gracefulone

I wrote this poem for the other girls on my gymnastics team. I am the oldest and they treat me like an unoficial captain. I remember what they were like, what I was like, when we were young gymnasts because I also coach. Sometimes when we're growing up so fast, we need to look back for inspiration.

Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the practices, the coaches who have pushed you, the meets you've competed in, the long time dedication, and the friendships you made along the way, there's a little girl who just thought it would be fun to fly.

Do you know her anymore?
Can you even remember her?

The little girl, mesmerized
By the leaping, the tumbling, the swinging.
Watching the older girls’ every move.
Wide-eyed.

The little girl
Who was so fearless,
Willing to do whatever it took
To be just like them.

Well now you are one of them.
But she’s not.
She’s still that same little girl.
You made it. Good job.

Along the way, though,
She got lost.
Lost in all the competition.
Lost in the fear of new tricks.

All of a sudden
A hard worker replaced the free dreamer.
Admiration became competition.
Just wanting it wasn’t enough.

Flight didn’t just happen,
It was precise and calculated.
And that scared her away.
And you let her go.

Maybe you even forgot her.
You had new friends,
Learned a good work ethic.
Dreaming stopped being important.

But it shouldn’t have.
The dreamer and the worker
Don’t have to be separate.
They are even more powerful united.

Find that little girl in you again.
The one who just wants to fly,
The one who isn’t afraid to let go,
And be all she can, do all she can.

She’s there. She’s waiting for you. She will never grow older, wiser, stronger, better. But you can, and will. She needs you, almost as much as you need her. Find her. Hold her close. Let her live through you. Do all your new skills with her. Fly for her.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Very nice. :applause:I'm going to print and frame this for my dd. After all her set backs it will be a nice thing to help remind her to have fun with this crazy sport.:meditate:

Thank you. My team will be receiving it next Sunday, at our banquet. My closest friend on the team is so anxious; she got last years' poem too. I even wrote her a special poem, but she will get both!

That is awesome!!!! It has been so long since I thought why I started gymnastics and that was many years ago-but this took me back. And I every time our 2 year old is the gym watching, the look on her face is priceless.

Keep writing you are amazing!

That is awesome!!!! It has been so long since I thought why I started gymnastics and that was many years ago-but this took me back. And I every time our 2 year old is the gym watching, the look on her face is priceless.

Keep writing you are amazing!

I just noticed this post. Thank you so much! It's so nice to hear that I'm not an awful writer, because I always get so nervous letting other people read what I've written.

excellent poem...do you have any more that you would be willing to share

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back