Off Topic Pokemon Go

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did play Ingress for a while myself. Did not start with Pokemon yet. I guess my kids will love it but they don't have a suitable phone . Police in our neighbourhood said .well since you are all outdoors anyway , please look out for suspicious situations and report them to us.

I did play Ingress for a while myself. Did not start with Pokemon yet. I guess my kids will love it but they don't have a suitable phone . Police in our neighbourhood said .well since you are all outdoors anyway , please look out for suspicious situations and report them to us.

Lots more possible witnesses for sure!
Read about a teenage girl finding a corpse while playing. That was sort of scary to think about!

TEAM MYSTIC FOR LIFE!

I went to the park a block away from my house, which is normally empty. It had at least 30 people. Every now and then, somebody would yell "there's a primeape over here!" or "lots of pikachus over here" and the crowd would converge, and chat, and have a blast.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this game is good for humanity, and I think our society will see significant measurable benefits from it.

..... I'm thoroughly annoyed, though, that I couldn't catch that primeape. I mean, sure, I catch enough mankeys to evolve one of them, but how often do you see a wild primeape?

my oldest is team mystic, my youngest is team instinct. The youngest loves mankeys and would have gone nuts over a wild primeape!

Are you sure you don't live in my neighborhood? That sounds like exactly what was going on at our park last night! Team mystic took over the neighborhood gym!!

TEAM MYSTIC FOR LIFE!

I went to the park a block away from my house, which is normally empty. It had at least 30 people. Every now and then, somebody would yell "there's a primeape over here!" or "lots of pikachus over here" and the crowd would converge, and chat, and have a blast.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this game is good for humanity, and I think our society will see significant measurable benefits from it.

..... I'm thoroughly annoyed, though, that I couldn't catch that primeape. I mean, sure, I catch enough mankeys to evolve one of them, but how often do you see a wild primeape?

I'm on team Mystic too!

Finally downloaded it, thanks for the heads up GT, but servers are down. All us Canucks must be killing them trying to get in all at once.

The game is a big worry for me. There have been car accidents, with people,playing it while driving. There have been kids wondering onto other people's properties.

I have had to stop the kids from leaving the gym and wandering around the streets to find pole on. We have an older group of students who were supposed to come in for their class (ages 19-20) they didn't turn up and apparently it was because they decided to go Pokemon hunting and never made it to an important lesson. They had been driving around until 3AM the night before looking.

This game will become a huge problem.

The game is a big worry for me. There have been car accidents, with people,playing it while driving. There have been kids wondering onto other people's properties.

I have had to stop the kids from leaving the gym and wandering around the streets to find pole on. We have an older group of students who were supposed to come in for their class (ages 19-20) they didn't turn up and apparently it was because they decided to go Pokemon hunting and never made it to an important lesson. They had been driving around until 3AM the night before looking.

This game will become a huge problem.

Like anything, it can raise problems. But I think this game is, on the whole, beneficial to society. Some examples:
-A friend of mine had a pokemon-catching date. He went out catching pokemon with a girl he met online; it was their first date, and they plan to do it again soon.
-The park near my house, which is normally empty, had 20 or 30 people in it last night. Everybody's dogs played around in the field, and we all had a blast. I saw a 12-year-old kid, a guy covered from head to toe in dreads, tattoos, and piercings, and a well-dressed lady who I'd estimate to be in her 50's, all having an animated discussion about how they could keep the park's gym in the hands of their team.
-A friend who suffers from chronic depression and rarely ever leaves her home has been getting out and making new friends pretty much nonstop since she got this game; talking to her, she seems like a completely different person now, much happier and more active.
-A very-overweight friend who gets next to zero exercise has been making daily walking tours of all the pokestops in his neighborhood (according to him, the route is about two miles) to stock up on pokeballs, catch pokemon, and hatch eggs.

Yes, people are doing stupid things and getting hurt; there have always been people doing stupid things and getting hurt. But it's been a very very long time since this many people spent this much time exercising and socializing.

Okay now, grandma Redford has arrived from her 20 year stagecoach ride to the present day and would like to know: What on earth is pokemon go?
I'm not gonna be playing it, but if it's in my girls will be all over it in no time.

My DD (12) says "I don't understand how so many people are getting hurt. The stinkin' phone vibrates to alert you of a Pokemon! Why can't they watch where they're walking?"

Also, it's been a catalyst to get her, who has social anxiety, outside with other kids in the neighborhood.

My DD (12) says "I don't understand how so many people are getting hurt. The stinkin' phone vibrates to alert you of a Pokemon! Why can't they watch where they're walking?"

Also, it's been a catalyst to get her, who has social anxiety, outside with other kids in the neighborhood.

I kinda wish. I tried to talk to my YDD about it (thinking she could borrow my phone) and she just did not get it. "But it's fake." "Why would anyone want to to chase fake animal things?" I guess this will not be what helps her break out of her shell. I never really broke out of mine, so maybe she is ok inside of hers. Ha!

I kinda wish. I tried to talk to my YDD about it (thinking she could borrow my phone) and she just did not get it. "But it's fake." "Why would anyone want to to chase fake animal things?" I guess this will not be what helps her break out of her shell. I never really broke out of mine, so maybe she is ok inside of hers. Ha!

No kidding, and kinda ditto! :)

She only started it because I asked her to help watch her younger brother around the neighborhood.

All four of my kids are loving it. All team Mystic, too! My youngest doesn't play that often because I have to give him my phone to play on, but he's having fun going with the other three.
I will say, my gymmie son went voluntarily to Costco with me a couple days ago, bc he caught about 6 new ones he didn't have inside the store.

Found out our gymnastics gym is a Poke Stop, too.

I value my phone too much to download it. If I did, I would constantly be telling them they can't have it. It sounds cute but not worth the arguments.

Okay now, grandma Redford has arrived from her 20 year stagecoach ride to the present day and would like to know: What on earth is pokemon go?
I'm not gonna be playing it, but if it's in my girls will be all over it in no time.

It's a mobile game. You capture in-game creatures that spawn at real-world GPS coordinates; some are more likely to spawn in forrests, others near water, others near electrical power plants, others in industrial centers, etc, etc, etc. You can also find "eggs," which hatch after you've traveled a particular distance, but it only counts distance traveled at under 15mph (so distance traveled by car doesn't count).

In other words, it's an enormously fun and addictive video game that you play by going outside and exercising and exploring in the real world.

I think this has great potential for kids who would not otherwise get out of the house. However, I will not download it for my family - if we are wondering around our beautiful countryside, I want to be looking at it, not trying to capture non-existant creatures. I know this makes me very old-fashioned, but I don't see it as a great thing for humanity, I see it as a very sad thing that we have got so into video games that the only way to get people out of doors is to turn the world into a video game! But I guess that given that this has already happened, it is better to be out of doors glued to an electronic device than indoors. Ok, now I will go put on my slippers and mutter about youth today ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back