Off Topic Pole vault cps gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today is April 19th 2023, and it’s been exactly a year since the last time I have been in a gymnastics gym.
(I am a freshmen in high school)
Today my mom told me my old gym is starting an excel team, and if I can get my giant back in the next few weeks, I’ll be able to do diamond (the coach will work with me to get any other lost skills back, just not giants). It was not my choice to quit gymnastics (I spent 9 months in a residential treatment facility aka a long term mental hospital).

When I discharged out of treatment, I joined track since there was no gymnastics team And I turned out to be really good at it. I have a PR in pole vault by 7 feet without bending the pole (only started 2 months ago, and coach is gonna teach me how to bend starting tomorrow). He said yesterday that I was going to be an amazing vaulter. He recommended me joining an AAU team so I could get better, but I guess that’s where my issues begin.

I want to pole vault and do gymnastics. My mom doesn’t know how she’ll be able to figure out how I could do both. AAU is a year round commitment and so is gymnastics. I have the option to do privates with my coach which might be what I do.

But here’s the thing, my coach since at the rate I’m going, I have potential to pv college and get a scholarship. I don’t have that option in gymnastics. I want to do both. I love both sports equally as much. But i don’t know if gymnastics will mess that up as well.

Privates with coach might be an option for me honestly and if I do do gymnastics, Ill just do privates. But in a way, should I focus on AAU team instead? Idk.

I’m gonna talk to track coaches tomorrow for their inputs. But I want help lol

Anyways, gymnastics might make my PV better tho so idk

Also, Im on concussion protocol so i can’t really think straight so sorry for spelling mistakes
Sounds to me that you should stick with pole vault. Maybe you could do some rec gymnastics? I am not sure why you were in the residential facility, but gymnastics can get pretty intense, even excel. Track is such a great sport and yes there is typical sport pressure, but at least to me nowhere near the pressure gymnastics is. But obviously it is your choice. As you get better in either sport, it will be harder to do both whichever you decide.

Gymnastics would be 8 hours a week max, aau would be 3 times a week as well. Practice would go 4-6 pm AAU and gymnastics is 6-8. Meaning I can arguably do both without practice colliding.

With that being said, I talked to head school track coach who said she is 100% open to allowing me to do both as long as I give meet and practice schedules ahead of time so she could decide which meets to put me in.

Doing excel would be for fun while PV is for chance of doing college. So Id mainly focus PV but I’m leaning towards doing both. Especially since private pv lessons from my coach isn’t expensive so mom is signing me up for one every other week (to stay in shape) through out the year if I chose not to AAU
Sounds to me that you should stick with pole vault. Maybe you could do some rec gymnastics? I am not sure why you were in the residential facility, but gymnastics can get pretty intense, even excel. Track is such a great sport and yes there is typical sport pressure, but at least to me nowhere near the pressure gymnastics is. But obviously it is your choice. As you get better in either sport, it will be harder to do both whichever you decide.

If you are just doing gymnastics because you enjoy it, could you do platinum instead of diamond so you don't have to worry about getting diamond skills and missing practices.

If you are just doing gymnastics because you enjoy it, could you do platinum instead of diamond so you don't have to worry about getting diamond skills and missing practices.
i have diamond skills lol
i just need to get back into the gym since i’ve been out for so long to regain them. But muscle memory would probably come in handy

Do both for a year (you decide AAU or just private lessons). Then reevaluate and see if you prefer one over the other.

As both a gymnastics and pole vault coach (for the record, gymnasts usually make excellent vaulters!) I would suggest asking for specifics regarding your track practices before making a decision. PV is very hard on your arms and shoulders, so you won't typically spend hours and hours vaulting every day all year. Some of the "dry land" training could be done at home, or even in the gymnastics gym. There may be time for both.

Reactions: cmg
I actually made my decision. I’m going to be vaulting year round once/twice a week with my pole vault coach during off season. And doing AAU for pv and the other events I do.

Then during the school year, I’ve had interest about joining the school swim team (very competitive) since middle school. So i decided to take the leap and try out. So during off high school swim, I’ll be doing year round swimming.

And you’re right, however sore upper body I was in gymnastics…. pv is 10x worse. I knew a kid who ended up with a stress fracture in his back 3 weeks into the start of track season because of pv. :/ Sucks.
As both a gymnastics and pole vault coach (for the record, gymnasts usually make excellent vaulters!) I would suggest asking for specifics regarding your track practices before making a decision. PV is very hard on your arms and shoulders, so you won't typically spend hours and hours vaulting every day all year. Some of the "dry land" training could be done at home, or even in the gymnastics gym. There may be time for both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back