MAG Pommel circles and cartwheel leading side

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Klaws

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hi,
Does anyone know why my son’s coach would tell him to lead pommel circles and cartwheels with the same side? Currently he leads cartwheels with his left leg but circles with his right hand. Apparently it has something to do with teaching round back handspring later? Any thoughts please? He’s just getting the hang of circles and now this. He’s just devastated.
Ta,
K

Ok I just asked both my sons, and they both do the same thing- lead cartwheels with the left leg (they can cartwheel the other way, but say left is the "better" side for them) and they both circle with their right hand- and can not (or barely can) do it the other way. (If it matters, they are both right hand dominant/left leg dominant.) Both long ago mastered round off back handsprings (they are level 7 and 8 in USA levels now) and say they do not understand how it could be related.

On the other hand, some people can do circles both ways- but older DS who is pretty solid on pommel says it is not needed, because one cannot switch during routines anyway.

So, they suggest, if your son has to switch, switch the cartwheels and learn to do those with right leg, because it is much harder to switch circle direction. But again, they do not understand why it matters.

Is this a new coach or gym? Seems odd this would not have been made a point of early on when he was first learning cartwheels and circles if it matters.

Hi,
Does anyone know why my son’s coach would tell him to lead pommel circles and cartwheels with the same side? Currently he leads cartwheels with his left leg but circles with his right hand. Apparently it has something to do with teaching round back handspring later? Any thoughts please? He’s just getting the hang of circles and now this. He’s just devastated.
Ta,
K
My son tumbles left and starts his circles with his left hand on the pommel. When he was learning to pirouette on the floor he would get confused and do it different every time. I pointed this out to the coaches and he finally got it going left. He also twists left.

Reactions: sce
Based on what I have seen, circling direction is far more difficult to change than cartwheel direction. Some coaches really don't like having mixed dominance kids. My understanding (just as a parent) is that the real key is making sure that they are always twisting (back and front) in the same direction. If that's good, then rounding off and twisting doesn't necessarily have to be the same.

After listening to my two discuss this endlessly, I think my son is a straightforward righty and my daughter is mixed dominance. They twist in different directions. My son definitely has teammates who circle the opposite way as him but roundoff in the same direction.

This is interesting for me to read, since I have a little level 4. What is the usual direction for these things? Pretty sure my son does his cartwheels and round offs with his left leg leading although he has practiced with his right and is getting better. His mushroom circles start with his left hand on the mushroom (right in the air).

I don't know the reasoning with circles but I know when my 7 year old first learned cartwheels the coach tried to get him to change legs for "future twisting moves" purposes but the switch was too hard for him after several weeks of trying so he stayed as is. He circles opposite of how he cartwheels as well.

My son was just telling me that his coach said he was rare because he cartwheels with one foot and kicks up into a handstand with another foot. He's not making him switch or anything, but does say that this is negatively affecting his front handspring step outs.
I wonder if perhaps there is a similar down-the-road connection between the pommels and cartwheels.

Yeah. D leads his round off with one foot and his front handsprign with a different foot. Not ideal, but it really hasn't affected much. They tried to change it, but it was too late.

I think being almost 'ambidextrous' with ones gymnastics would benefit balance within the body.

For example, I could only twist right/ & lead tumbling with my right. And my dr. & chiropractor could tell based on wear/tear on my body.

Although I don't have science to support it, it might actually be beneficial to work both sides?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back