Parents Positive words

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Just wanted to make a happy post about the power of a positive word. When I got to the gym tonight and asked how practice was, some of the other parents said it was rough and that one of their coaches was yelling at my dd's team on floor and they were all in tears. I was prepared for my dd to come off the floor complaining. But instead, she came out of practice practically beaming. I asked how practice was and she said it was great! When I asked why, she said that when she was doing her back handsprings on the high beam, an older, level 8 or 9 gymnast that she didn't know stopped to watch. She asked dd what level she was and when she said she just finished 4, the girl said "Wow, great job!" and gave her a high five. That's all it took. She told me, then came home and excitedly told her dad. And she was still happy when she went to bed. I casually asked what happened on floor with her coach and she just blew it off. Just a few words from an older girl that she looks up to and she was the happiest I've seen her in weeks. Love it!

There really isn't a point to this post, but I just wanted to share because it made me realize how sometimes it really is the smallest things that can have the biggest impact. :)

That's adorable! There is a little level 4 (6 years old) who just loves my ODD. My DD was so sad after gym last night because the little girl told her that she has had nightmares about our upcoming move and my DD being gone from gym.. it was sad but also adorable. And this girl is only two levels below my DD, so she's not really looking up to skills, just enjoying their personal relationship. I love the interactions between the little and big kids at gym. It's very heartwarming.

Last edited:
Great post!

One time, at a practice meet, my young daughter forgot her floor routine and ran off. After everyone else finished, she got back up with a coach and they performed it together. Made my heart happy.

I gave the coach a card later that day that read, "to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

That is so awesome! My daughter really looks up to the older girls at her gym. Any time one of them pays a little attention to her, it's a great day. I hope so much that someday my daughter will be that encouraging girl for someone else!

Awesome post. And so true. An older girl said something kind to Puma Jr after L4 States when she was devastated that her 9.05 bars didn't medal. She hadn't medaled all season and it was her last chance. Whatever that teen said made all the difference. So thankful. And I told Puma Jr that that is exactly how I want her to be now that she is the "big kid" to some. Thanks for sharing!

Inspired by this post I asked our optional girls to come and play judges when my compulsory girls did their beam routines before the optional practice started. My girls were at the same time horrified and super excited! It was awesome, I asked the optional girls give my girls feedback and they loved it too. I'm sure that my girls will remember the words of their "idols" like 100 times more likely in the meet than my nagging about the pointed toes :rolleyes:

I've been continually impressed at our gym with how the older girls help and encourage the little ones. Having not grown up with gymnastics in my life, I had no idea what to expect, but I don't think I anticipated how welcoming they would be. It's great to see that.

Ah, I did the same yesterday again (asked a few of the injured optional gymnasts to come and watch us on beam) and it was a huge success again. If you other coaches are looking for a great way to prep the kids for a important competition, try this! The look on the gymnasts' faces is priceless when you tell them that in five minutes the big girls are coming and going to watch and give you feedback. If that doesn't make them nervous then nothing does :rolleyes: They said that the competition feels like a piece of cake after this :cool: I also loved listening the big girls give the same corrections that I would have given and my girls listening them like no one else before :D

Just wanted to make a happy post about the power of a positive word. When I got to the gym tonight and asked how practice was, some of the other parents said it was rough and that one of their coaches was yelling at my dd's team on floor and they were all in tears. I was prepared for my dd to come off the floor complaining. But instead, she came out of practice practically beaming. I asked how practice was and she said it was great! When I asked why, she said that when she was doing her back handsprings on the high beam, an older, level 8 or 9 gymnast that she didn't know stopped to watch. She asked dd what level she was and when she said she just finished 4, the girl said "Wow, great job!" and gave her a high five. That's all it took. She told me, then came home and excitedly told her dad. And she was still happy when she went to bed. I casually asked what happened on floor with her coach and she just blew it off. Just a few words from an older girl that she looks up to and she was the happiest I've seen her in weeks. Love it!

There really isn't a point to this post, but I just wanted to share because it made me realize how sometimes it really is the smallest things that can have the biggest impact. :)
This can work both way's. My DD was having a terrible beam night, just couldn't seem to stick anything. We were on our way to the car she was feeling pretty discouraged when a younger rec level gymnast came up to her and said "You are awesome." It made my daughter smile, she was pretty grateful after a bad day for the encouragement. I am pretty sure she thinks that that gymnast has eyesight problems though.

IMG_2329.jpg
That's adorable! There is a little level 4 (6 years old) who just loves my ODD. My DD was so sad after gym last night because the little girl told her that she has had nightmares about our upcoming move and my DD being gone from gym.. it was sad but also adorable. And this girl is only two levels below my DD, so she's not really looking up to skills, just enjoying their personal relationship. I love the interactions between the little and big kids at gym. It's very heartwarming.
Last Sunday my DD got up at 6:40 am to catch a ride to a meet (my girls competed Saturday) to cheer for her little person (and all the little people from our gym)- who proceeded to win all three events (and she moved up a tumbling level, so she's now only one level below my DD!). She said my DD is her good luck charm. Ha!

One of the best things about gym has been watching my son receive encouragement and support and coaching tips over the years from older teammates -- and now seeing him standing on the side and giving his younger teammates tips on drills, corrections on form, and lots of enthusiastic celebration when they accomplish something. My daughter has also gotten and now gives a lot of emotional support from/to teammates when things are tough. It's wonderful how a sport that is largely individual can create such generous, empathetic, caring young people.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back