Parents Possible Gym Change - LONG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
I have been playing around with the idea of switching gyms for a while now but have not been sure wether to do it or not. Hopefully you can help me! We have looked at and gone to an open gym at another gym recently and spoken with the head coach. Here are the pros and cons to both gyms

Current gym pros:
*Can train all the way to Level 10 - they have 1 level 10 girl
*Less expensive than other gyms!
*Will move girls up once they get the skill needed...does not wait til they have a certain AA score just to make the gym look more successful
*Very supportive parents and booster club..no mama drama that I can see

Cons:
* Lots of favoritism for certain gymmies
*Level 4 has 3 coaches and they train differently so daughter is always changing the way she is doing skills depending on who is coaching.
* Coaches and owner are unapproachable to the point that they avoid any contact with parents (except the favs)

New gym pros:
*One coach per event - so no confusion on how to do a skill
*Will also move girls up once they get the skill needed...does not wait til they have a certain AA score just to make the gym look more successful
*More approachable, the head coach was very open to answering questions, even stayed way late at open gym to talk to me.
* Smaller team so more individual attention

Cons:
* Can only train up to level 8 currently...but they are hoping to add more higher level coaches
* They moved into a new building and have a state of the art facility now that is amazing! Two floors and 3 underground tramps, 2 tumble traks, 5 sets of bars, and I forget how many beams.
* More expensive

Sorry this is so long just looking for advice!!

I have been playing around with the idea of switching gyms for a while now but have not been sure wether to do it or not. Hopefully you can help me! We have looked at and gone to an open gym at another gym recently and spoken with the head coach. Here are the pros and cons to both gyms

Current gym pros:
*Can train all the way to Level 10 - they have 1 level 10 girl
*Less expensive than other gyms!
*Will move girls up once they get the skill needed...does not wait til they have a certain AA score just to make the gym look more successful
*Very supportive parents and booster club..no mama drama that I can see

Cons:
* Lots of favoritism for certain gymmies
*Level 4 has 3 coaches and they train differently so daughter is always changing the way she is doing skills depending on who is coaching.
* Coaches and owner are unapproachable to the point that they avoid any contact with parents (except the favs)

New gym pros:
*One coach per event - so no confusion on how to do a skill
*Will also move girls up once they get the skill needed...does not wait til they have a certain AA score just to make the gym look more successful
*More approachable, the head coach was very open to answering questions, even stayed way late at open gym to talk to me.
* Smaller team so more individual attention

Cons:
* Can only train up to level 8 currently...but they are hoping to add more higher level coaches
* They moved into a new building and have a state of the art facility now that is amazing! Two floors and 3 underground tramps, 2 tumble traks, 5 sets of bars, and I forget how many beams.
* More expensive

Sorry this is so long just looking for advice!!

For me the fact you feel the need to move says volumes. Either you or DD isn't happy at the gym.

The new gym sounds GREAT!! and the New building etc sounds like a Pro not a Con to me. Your dd is only at level 4 you said so she has a few years before she has to worry about levels 9 and 10 and by then the gym may have those levels. I know our gym doesn't have 9 or 10s but that is because they just don't have anyone at that level we could do it but the girls when they get to those levels tend to be in High School and decide to either go to the High School Team or try something else. Either way you have a long way before you have to worry about it. From what you describe I would go with the more expensive gym it sounds like they have more to offer and by the time your DD is ready for L 9 or L10 they may have a program or she will be more than prepared for those levels even if she has to change gyms. Can you afford the more expensive gym would be my big question? And can you do some "Let's Try this gym" classes. You know go for a week or Two and see what DD thinks of this gym. You may love it but she may hate it.

I agree with Cher on everything. We just went through a gym change for similar reasons and I am so glad we did. I love DDs new coaches, so does she. She has transitioned well and I don't regret our decision at all. She has been at the new gym for almost 4 weeks now. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but I am now really glad that I did it.

My daughter is also a level 4 and she had a similar situation where there were many coaches that were coaching all events, so she was getting told different things during the routines/skills and it was confusing for her.

That and safety concerns were the big ones for me, but there was also a lot of disorganization at the compulsory level. The optionals do really well at her old gym, but they didn't come up from the current compulsory coaches, so who knows how it will be IF my kid ever gets that far.

Good luck making a decision! It is difficult sometimes, but can be worth it. Telling the coaches/owner was the toughest part and talking to the owner after she knew we had left. DD has made new friends and so have her sister and I! :)

Thanks for the replies! Just want to add that the fact that the new gym is brand new should have been in the Pro's section! Not sure what I was thinking at the time! Thanks again and any other advice would be great!! I love this forum and all the great information that I have recieved just reading other threads has been invaluable!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back