Parents Possible gym switch...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would probably look at the scores if I was looking at a new gym, but I think it would be fairly low on my list of priorities. I would put the "vibe" that I get from the gym, my daughter's feeling about the gym, the qualifications of the coaches, their philosophy (about move-ups, missing practices for family events, etc.) above the scores. Of course, if none of the gymnasts are ever scoring above a 32, it would probably raise some concerns, but I wouldn't necessarily choose a gym where the average score was a 36 over a gym where the average score was a 34. Also, you don't know why scores may be higher at one gym over another. Maybe they make the girls repeat levels way past when they'd be ready to move on, just to get the high scores. In the program for level 6 states there was a "good luck" ad for a gymnast and a picture of her doing a pirouette on bars. My friend pointed it out to me and said, "If she can do that, why is she here?" Of course, maybe she was just a bar queen and struggled with her tucks or something, so she needed to stay at level 6, but you get my meaning. Do all of your research and then follow your gut.

i don't know that I would get too hung up over scores. I would try and look at scores over several years and not worry about what the optional girls did--focus on the compulsory levels for now. Looking back over a few years(if you can) could show where the gym normally scores on each event. I would only be concerned if over several years they had very poor scores on an event. Overall, I would be more concerned about the feeling in the gym, number of girls to coach ratio and if the girls seem happy and engaged during practice.

Thanks for the advice ya'll. :) We did get a good vibe at gym #1. We'll check out gym #2 next week. The second gym has a program from level 5-10, with preteam level 3-4 for the girls that aren't ready for 5. It's 35 minutes away though so it'll have to be pretty amazing to be worth the drive :). I'm meeting with DD's current gym tomorrow to talk with them about us potentially moving so hopefully that goes well. I figured they deserved to know we're looking so out of respect for them I wanted to tell them before hand. I hope that doesn't blow up in my face...

For what it's worth, I'll give you my own "experience based" opinion about courtesy and communication between club, gymnast, and family. I commend you for feeling an obligation to let the current club know what's "going on" with respect to your search for a gym that better suits your DD's needs. My advice is to feel only an obligation that goes as far as "returning the favor". If you can recall way back when you first looked into the current gym, were you told that the gym would, by definition, defacto or otherwise, limit itself in the way you've described? Did they tell you anything about the competitive gymnastic levels at the time they they asked your daughter to move into the competitive side of gymnastics? Did they ever bother to tell you that their facility was so limited with respect to equipment?

We live in a free market society that relies to a great degree on customer satisfaction. It sounds to me like you're not satisfied with the product, but I suspect the gym is very satisfied with the loyaltie$ you've implied month after month. They weren't required to give you a course in gymnastics "consumerism", and I suspect they'd prefer their customers "figure it out" on their own. It may be that they run a terrific program that's suited to their students and the goals of the parents who bring their dd and ds to gym each week, but that's not for everyone.

You should follow your own ethos, and not let me run your show, but my advice after seeing the concern you expressed about "it" blowing up in your face, is to let them dangle as they have you. I know from my experiences that this sort of thing "gets back" to the child on rare ocassions, and is usually cloaked in subtlety. It is rare, and you say you you like the owner and the coaches, who all seem so friendly.....however.....

There are many fine gym clubs run by very capable and dedicated professionals who do everything they can to provide a safe, challenging, and enriching experience for every child who walks through the door. Gymnmastics clubs come in all varieties, each trying to fill it's own niche, and that's pretty much the way it should be. Let me just say this, if you could forgive me for being cruel and abrupt in my opinion, the current club is trying to fill a niche best occupied by a "full service" club. I'm sorry if my suspicions are right about your current gym, but take heart, they are the exception.

Good luck with your search.

Geez! I shoulda put this one in the rant section.:confused:

There are plenty of threads where parents here have tried to do to the 'nice' thing by telling the club and have been burned. The general advice is tell them it's you last night or tell them you wont be coming back once you have moved on.

Personally I wouldn't say anything until you've made a decision. They might be fine and expect kids to leave, but you just never know.

I told the gym dd was considering this other gym - still nice as pie, but trying to dissuade us. Kept hc in the loop.
When we changed ...BOOM!!!......

So we went back to the potential new gym last week to work out with the group DD would probably be with. It was interesting. The coach looked very young, which was a little concerning at first, until I saw her work with the girls. She was great with them. The group of level 3/4's was small, there was only 10. They had 2 coaches working with them. The girls have obviously done a lot more up-training than DD- most had their BWO on floor and FHS as well. DD hasn't even started on those with her current team. I liked that this gym has more equipment, instead of the girls standing around waiting for their turn they were always working a drill, the entire 2.5 hour practice. DD was definitely not used to that! She was exhausted!!! They spent a lot of time on basics, which I liked. They did a LOT of conditioning- DD had a hard time with it. They ran suicides and DD was crawling by the end, lol. The coach took pity on her and let her rest for 5 minutes.

After the practice the coach talked to us and told us that DD would probably be in that group, she just needs to confirm with the HC. She said that DD did good but has some technique issues that need to be addressed. She said something about an anterior rotation of her pelvis or something? The coach said that she spends a lot of time on basics and conditioning to get them ready for higher levels. I like that. So we're just waiting to see what HC says.

She said that they practice 16 hrs a week in the summer. That's a huge jump for DD. She's used to 9 hours of gym/dance right now. So that's definitely something we'll have to think about and discuss. I was thinking about asking the coach if we could try that schedule for a week in June and see how DD does and if she wants to join that program. Has anyone ever done that? Coaches- would you be receptive to that? I really appreciate everyone's advice!!!!

Glad the workout went well! I hope DD likes the tougher part of it--doing more conditioning and basics will help her so much more in the long run! When do you expect to hear back from the HC?

Actually when my gymmie changed gyms, she was given 1 week to try things out. I don't think its an unreasonable request especially since she's not used to that much pratice. If she doesn't have a BWO then this sounds like the right group for her.

Glad the workout went well! I hope DD likes the tougher part of it--doing more conditioning and basics will help her so much more in the long run! When do you expect to hear back from the HC?

We should hear from him on Thursday. I signed DD up for a tumbling class there a few weeks ago, part of my reconnaissance of the gym, lol. So when we go in Thursday for that we'll meet with him. I just hope he'll let her try the summer schedule for a week. I'm worried that it will be too many hours and that she'll burn out. But she will be out of school and this will be her only activity all summer so maybe it'll be good. We'll see...

So we are officially switching! I did meet with our current gym owner and discussed my concerns- we were told that they want us to stay but that if we're not happy here we should go. We lost our HC and assistant HC this month. Of the remaining 2 coaches 1 is pregnant and the other has admitted to several parents that he prefers to coach boys not girls. The gym just started a boys team that he's coaching too. So we will esentially have 1 coach by August for the team level 3-6. The owners have said that they are trying to get more coaches but they've been saying that for 3 months now. They had to cancel the optional gym classes that they had been offering for the girls because they are so short on coaches.

I spoke with the HC at the new gym today. he's happy to place DD on his 3/4 team. During the school year they practice 6 hours a week- split into 3 days. I prefer this to the 3 hour practices we had been doing at our current gym. Over the summer they will practice 4 hrs 4 days a week for a total of 16 hours a week. He said that if that was too many hours for DD she could come 2 or 3 days a week instead of 4 and they would prorate the tuition. That makes me really happy just in case it is too much for her :). I feel like we're making the right decision, I really hope so. DD has said she likes the new gym, just not the conditioning. :) I'll keep ya'll updated on her progress at the new gym. Thanks again for all the great advice!!!

Glad you found a new gym "home." It sounds like your old gym is just about ready to give up on any team program so its a good time to leave.
Usually in the summer since the hours go up, so does the amount of conditioning. Might be good to start dd off at 2 practices/week and then go up to 3 if she doesn't have any problem. That way when you decide to go for 4/week(if you do) its not so much of a shock.

Sounds like you have a plan in place with a gym that will work with you. I think you will see too that even though you are worried about the hours your DD will adapt to them very quickly if you let her. Good luck I've been there too and its always a stressfull time.

Sounds like the new gym will work out great for her. I love that they're willing to prorate tuition, if you decide not to bring her so much in the summer! I am sure with that conditioning, she will see how much she improves at skills. Few people love conditioning, but most see how necessary it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back