WAG Post-meet traditions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
What does your DD or DS do the practice after meets
My daughters and their team mates do something called "rose and thorn" (one good thing about your meet and one thing you want to improve about their meet). If they fell on anything at the meet they have to make 10 of whatever skill they fell on. When they rotate events, the girl who got the highest score on that event gets to choose what warm up they do as a reward.
Im curious...what you y'all do?

Nothing, really. I think that’s cool though.

Ditto.

Dd had a meet yesterday. I am willing to bet that it isn't even mentioned today. If the team overall doesn't do as well as expected on a certain event, they might spend a lot of time working on that event, but that's about it. I wish they would spend a few minutes at the beginning of practice to discuss the meet (hopefully in a positive way), but they really don't.

Nothing that I know of at DD's gym either. I have noticed if they had a poor event it gets more focus.

Nothing that I know of at DD's gym either. I have noticed if they had a poor event it gets more focus.
Oh yes, poor performances- my DDs previous gym the HC would line them all up and give them a “talking to” and then call out girls specifically (unfortunately usually my DD). He would also assign conditioning the whole practice (individually) if he felt they didn’t try hard enough. Happened to my DD every single meet that season.

Oh yes, poor performances- my DDs previous gym the HC would line them all up and give them a “talking to” and then call out girls specifically (unfortunately usually my DD). He would also assign conditioning the whole practice (individually) if he felt they didn’t try hard enough. Happened to my DD every single meet that season.

That's terrible and not inspiring a true leader would never behave in that manner.

We talk about it. On the event we had the worst E score, we run our routine 4 times instead of 3.

With the kids I coach, they don't know anything about competing. We do let someone bring their medal if they place, because placing is a huge deal here (usually top 3 AA medals only, in groups of 15 or more kids)

We used to have an ice cream party if we all stuck beam lol so fun. Sometimes we did a chocolate fondue party instead.

Usually the girls from the same level will all go out to eat with their parents after the meet, but not always (one of the parents usually sets it up, chooses where to eat, makes the reservations, etc..). For us it depends on how the meet went. If it was a good meet then DD will want to go out and celebrate with her teammates, if it wasn't a good meet then she usually just wants to get out of there as soon as awards are over and just go out to eat as a family.

The practice after a meet, after running and stretching, the coach calls the girls over and she goes over the podium placements... Nationals qualifiers... and team results.
Then they talk about things like falls on beam or skills they need work on as groups.
If an entire level sticks a skill goal, that is also mentioned (as well as the numbers of individual skill goals met).

Okay, I know I posted yesterday but I now have to contradict myself. New gym, yesterday was the first practice after the first meet here. The coach brought them chocolate fondue and strawberries for break to celebrate the meet, and then they had ten minutes to work any new skill they wanted. I thought that was really sweet!

I usually don't end up doing anything with my girls. Maybe a quick talk- what they did well and what they need to work on or just general thoughts on the meet. If there was something that caused a problem for several of the kids (forgotten routines, trouble with landings, etc.) I might mention it and try to motivate them to work hard on that. Or mention 1 thing each kid did well. I don't mention placements or scores at all as I'm constantly encouraging my girls not to worry about those. Our HC goes into lengthy speeches with the older girls, but with my little ones I can tell they are typically antsy to get back to work.
We try to space our meets 3-4 weeks from each other, so that means we can usually use the week after a meet to work on some new skills and play around a little bit and take a break from routines- woohoo! Of course they still work on the skills in their routines, especially if there is one that gives them some trouble, and vault is typically the same, but it's a break from the normal meet season practice of routines, routines, and more routines. If they're lucky I'll even let them have trampoline time.

You know....i seriously dont know! I feel like a fool. Will ask her and get back to this...i *think* they have girls step out of line for applause if they have shown improvement?

The one thing i know they do not do is punishment or negative reinforcement. Thank God.

The last couple of years, the coach would spend a few minutes with each boy individually to go over highs and lows. It always appeared to be addressed from the angle of "things I was proud of" and "things I need to work harder on," as opposed to " I totally screwed up on pbars and am embarrassed to even be here today" or "I won everything and I'm the best gymnast in the world!" We have different coaches now, so I don't know if they'll still do that or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back