Parents Posting of scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This past weekend we competed in a meet where the host gym only awarded 1st place for each event and then awardes 6 places in the AA. I haven't seen scores posted yet. This was a USAG sanctioned event. Are meet directors required to submit scores to USAG and does USAG post scores or keep a record? Thank you for any insight you can provide!

My understanding is the host gym decides how far they go out for awards. This is often advertised when other gyms sign up for meets. For example 50% for individual events 100% for all around means they give out medals to the top half of competitors for events and everyone gets an all around medal. I think they advertise it to try and make the meets more attractive to show the girls will get something for going.

As for posting scores USAG doesnt have a place where they post all sanctioned meet scores. The best place I have found to find scores is mymeetscoresonline but it has lots of flaws and not all gyms report the scores. You can also check out the website for the meet (if it was a bigger one and not just a local gym putting on a meet for other local gyms) as sometimes they will post PDFs of all the scores on the meet's website after the meet is over. Once again alot of the reporting of the scores is at the discretion of the host gym.

Many meets though can be money makers so its in the interest of the gym to make meets attractive for visiting gyms. If this meet sucked then if/when appropriate I would mention you werent a fan to your head coach and maybe (if they can) they will choose not to do it next year. I know our gym goes out of the way to make visiting gyms/coaches/judges feel welcome and taken care of at our big meet to make sure they come back year after year.

Are you in the US? what level was this? We have never been at a meet that didn't go at least 3 places in the events and 50% in the AA and that's for 10 years of meets. So yes, that's odd that they only did the 1st place finisher. I have heard of meets that give ribbons to the girls at the end of each routine based on their score but we have never had that.

mymeetscores.com/

meetscoresonline.com

I really can't believe that USAG can't get their site running better at this point... keeps dropping out every weekend. However... the site / app is fantastic when it works...

You really just have to look everywhere to find scores sometimes.

Are you in the US? what level was this? We have never been at a meet that didn't go at least 3 places in the events and 50% in the AA and that's for 10 years of meets. So yes, that's odd that they only did the 1st place finisher. I have heard of meets that give ribbons to the girls at the end of each routine based on their score but we have never had that.

mymeetscores.com/

meetscoresonline.com
Yes this was in the U.S. My daughter is Level 3. She scored 1st in two events and 2nd in AA. This was her personal best as far as AA scores. She also scored a personal best in another event, and I wanted to see how she ranked there. We haven't attended a meet like this before.

Yes this was in the U.S. My daughter is Level 3. She scored 1st in two events and 2nd in AA. This was her personal best as far as AA scores. She also scored a personal best in another event, and I wanted to see how she ranked there. We haven't attended a meet like this before.
Most meets here do not do awards for individual events before level 5. So I would think doing any individual event award would be unusual. Usually at those levels the girls get their score card with ribbons and then AA awards go to 50%+1. Dd has never been to a meet where she hasn't received her score card (even when the scores are not online). Perhaps your coaches have those and will give them to girls at practice?

Most meets here do not do awards for individual events before level 5. So I would think doing any individual event award would be unusual. Usually at those levels the girls get their score card with ribbons and then AA awards go to 50%+1. Dd has never been to a meet where she hasn't received her score card (even when the scores are not online). Perhaps your coaches have those and will give them to girls at practice?
No we have our score cards. I know what her individual scores are. I don't know how she ranked against her competitors in each event. Every meet we've been to including level 2, calls out 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place for each event in addition to All-Around.

I wish they were posted on mymeetscores because I love the fact that they track personal bests in each event at each Level.

Most meets here do not do awards for individual events before level 5. So I would think doing any individual event award would be unusual. Usually at those levels the girls get their score card with ribbons and then AA awards go to 50%+1.

This is very different depending on where you are. All Level 4 meets by us do individual event awards at 50%. Depending on fall or spring season... Levels 3 and 2 do different things. Most spring season meets by us give out 50% individual event medals for those levels as well.

I wish they were posted on mymeetscores because I love the fact that they track personal bests in each event at each Level.
Was it a local meet or a bigger one? Just thinking if you post it (bigger meet) someone might know whether the scores are online. I have googled my dd's name before to find scores when they haven't shown on mymeetscores. Sometimes I found it, sometimes not. Also, the coaches should have the score sheets for the team and they should list their individual places. That's if you want to ask the coaches.

Was it a local meet or a bigger one? Just thinking if you post it (bigger meet) someone might know whether the scores are online. I have googled my dd's name before to find scores when they haven't shown on mymeetscores. Sometimes I found it, sometimes not. Also, the coaches should have the score sheets for the team and they should list their individual places. That's if you want to ask the coaches.
It was a local meet. I've searched all the normal places and finally found a partial posting, but only for levels 2, 6, and 7. Grrr. I even tried our state usag website. It looks like they expect them to be sent in because there is a results section listed for that meet, but it's disabled. After researching I found that meet organizers have 48 hours to submit scores to the state chapter, but I don't know if that is strictly followed or if our state chapter will then post. I dont usually have trouble. My daughter has private coaching tonight, so I'll ask at that time.

Not every meet publicl/electronically posts scores. Just because it’s sanctioned doesn’t mean you will ever see the scores posted anywhere. We go to a couple of meets a year where the scores never get published. All we know is what’s on her score card.

The size of the meet and number of kids competing typically determines how far the placements go out. And as others have mentioned may not even do placements at the lower levels at all.

Other then getting an overall sense of how the judges were scoring, were they scoring vault higher then typically seen or floor generously, things like that. It really doesn’t matter how everyone else did. It’s how does the gymnasts scores compare to previous. But what is even more important then any score at all is how they are doing skill wise. That is where the focus should be.

For a sense of how she scored compared to other L3s looking at a few meets local to you would give you a sense of that.

But truly, scores should not be the focus. Skills should be. Improvement should be.

Not every meet publicl/electronically posts scores. Just because it’s sanctioned doesn’t mean you will ever see the scores posted anywhere. We go to a couple of meets a year where the scores never get published. All we know is what’s on her score card.

The size of the meet and number of kids competing typically determines how far the placements go out. And as others have mentioned may not even do placements at the lower levels at all.

Other then getting an overall sense of how the judges were scoring, were they scoring vault higher then typically seen or floor generously, things like that. It really doesn’t matter how everyone else did. It’s how does the gymnasts scores compare to previous. But what is even more important then any score at all is how they are doing skill wise. That is where the focus should be.

For a sense of how she scored compared to other L3s looking at a few meets local to you would give you a sense of that.

But truly, scores should not be the focus. Skills should be. Improvement should be.
Thank you for your input. It makes you wonder why make it a competitive sport, huh? You could just stay home in your own gym and have that satisfaction that you have your skills and you are improving. No need to compete against other gyms and girls. How very shallow to want to know where you were ranked, right?

Thank you for your input. It makes you wonder why make it a competitive sport, huh? You could just stay home in your own gym and have that satisfaction that you have your skills and you are improving. No need to compete against other gyms and girls. How very shallow to want to know where you were ranked, right?

Pre-meet pep talk spoken by a gym parent, somewhere: 'Go get 'em, Tiger. Take on Suzy in the AA and claim #1 AA. Don't let her win again! It's YOURS!'.

Fortunately, I've never approached it from the perspective that my DD was competing AGAINST other gyms and girls.

To answer your question though - not every meet posts scores. You see that more often in lower levels or in meets that are in pre or off season but every now and then my DD would have a meet that just didn't post scores. It is what it is. Usually it didn't matter because I knew my DDs range of potential scores if she hit her routines cleanly. I also knew going into a meet based on either the size of the meet or the other gyms in her session where my DD would likely end up ranking wise if she competed cleanly. Some meets this meant potential for top of podium, for other ones a showing in 5th-10th place would be a big 'win'.

Yeah, that's a pretty nasty pep talk.

I'm not sure there is a pretty definition of compete. You can paint it ill-spirited if you like. The point is you are pitting your skill, yes, against another's skill. Otherwise, it would be an exhibition would it not?

I dont believe the desire to know ranking or scores is at all indicative of malicious intent, but some of you have been in this sport for awhile and have obviously dealt with a bunch of cut-throats. Thankfully, so far that has not been my experience, and I hope it continues on that path.

I appreciate all the feedback letting me know this is actually a common occurrence. I am attaching page 47, on reporting procedures from the Jr. Olympic Program regs. My hope was since there is a requirement to report within 48 hours, the scores would eventually make it on to our state usag website or myusagym.

Thanks to all for the sincere feedback and for the few well meaning lectures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-090226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-090226_Chrome.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220310-085033_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-085033_Office.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 23
The only time I experienced cut-throat was when my DD was in the lower levels and by L8 all those kids/families were no longer in the sport with most of them not even making it to Optionals.

And by cut-throat I mean the parents ruining the sport for the kid. I'm not saying you are like this at all! :)

Yeah, that's a pretty nasty pep talk.

I'm not sure there is a pretty definition of compete. You can paint it ill-spirited if you like. The point is you are pitting your skill, yes, against another's skill. Otherwise, it would be an exhibition would it not?

I dont believe the desire to know ranking or scores is at all indicative of malicious intent, but some of you have been in this sport for awhile and have obviously dealt with a bunch of cut-throats. Thankfully, so far that has not been my experience, and I hope it continues on that path.

I appreciate all the feedback letting me know this is actually a common occurrence. I am attaching page 47, on reporting procedures from the Jr. Olympic Program regs. My hope was since there is a requirement to report within 48 hours, the scores would eventually make it on to our state usag website or myusagym.

Thanks to all for the sincere feedback and for the few well meaning lectures.
USAG just needs the score sent to them. They don't do anything with them (exception of special meets like Nastia Luikin cup and the Easterns/Nationals for level 9/10. It is up to the individual meet hosts to upload them to a site. Most larger ones eventually make it online but not all unfortunately. DD had a state meet one year that never made it online.

The requiremen is to report it to USAG. There is no requirement to give it to any one or place else. There is no requirement to post it publicly or digitally.

This will happen from time to time. My Level 8 kid had a meet this season. Only one spectator allowed, so her brother in from California went. I know her scores, and her placement on the events she placed on. Not one clue how many were there or what anyone else’s scores were. Just how it goes.

You are a gym parent new to the sport. You should spend some time reading the many discussions here about scores.

This is a tough sport. And level 3 is very different then the higher levels. And it is subjective in the scoring. And scores are relative…… so example certain judges might score higher on vault then others. But if your gymmie is a middle of the pack gymmie the will likely be middle of the pack whether they score a 8.6 or 9 or 9.3 for the same routine at 3 different meets.

There will be kids that fall and score higher then someone who doesn’t. Simply because the kid who falls overall skill level is much so much higher down to little details then the kid that didn’t.

Or a skill that ”appears“ harder to you has the same value as a skill that “appears“ easier. And the kid with the “easier“ skill looks like they scored better and it appears ”unfair”. Yet it’s not.

There are times when as soon as you see the judge you know how the event is going to go, relative scoring wise.

Just a few of many examples above.

My daughters coach gives this advice at the new parent meeting every year…..

“Don‘t worry about scores or what level they are. It’s about the skills. If they are improving on their skills the scores will follow. They expectation is by states they are peaking.”

Once the kids get to optionals, a large portion of parents, just hope they have a clean routine, stay on and stick their landings.

Scores are a lot like stepping on the scale. The number doesn’t mean much on its own. It’s how the number compares to your overall numbers.

And when they move to a new level baseline starts again.

You are hyper focusing on one meet, in one season at L3. In the marathon that is gymnastics it is not a big thing. As your child develops and you gather more data it simply won’t matter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back