Parents Practice Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LIGYMMOM

Proud Parent
Hi All,
DD is asking for a home practice beam for her birthday. I'm thinking about it, if I can find one that is not too expensive. She could use the extra practice for balance, as she is very strong but a bit shaky. Can anybody recommend a good one? It's so hard to know the quality when looking online. Thanks!

A low beam may be fun for her ( for a few years) . Please don't get her a kip bar. PS I challenge you ( as a parent) to master your full turn on the beam and post a video, even if you don't show your face.

We had a parent skills completion one year and it was one of the best CB threads EVER!

Lol, at one time, I could do a cartwheel on the low beam as well as a roundoff, the splits, a handstand into a bridge (then a small hop like I was going to kick over... separate my feet a little... land on the mat with my feet... sit down to get out of the bridge), stand up, 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, (always got dizzy on the full turn) jumps (straight, tuck, straddle, stag), and a roundoff dismount.

Our practice beam was made out of a 4x4 ... 8 feet long. It has 2x4 stabilizer "feet" and is covered with a nonslip carpet remnant. It is stored in the girls' bedroom and they use their mattresses as mats on both sides when they have it out.

My daughter has the pink folding beam from matsmatsmats.com. It is $114.95 including delivery, but you may be able to find a coupon code on line (I hear that this is what Santa did when he brought us the beam a year ago). It folds up easily to stash in a corner, where it sat mostly untouched until last week, when my daughter decided that she needed to start working on her beam cartwheel incessantly.

I am tempted to go try a full turn on it right now, except that I pulled a muscle a couple days ago sliding off the side when I tried a cartwheel on the beam and couldn't hold the landing. Who knew you could injure yourself falling less than six inches? I must be old.

A low beam may be fun for her ( for a few years) . Please don't get her a kip bar. PS I challenge you ( as a parent) to master your full turn on the beam and post a video, even if you don't show your face.
Trust me, no kip bar here. She's been asking for one for years and I haven't caved yet! I think she's outgrown them by now anyway. If I end up getting one, I will totally rock the full turn, though I will get dizzy! Maybe I'll even go for a cartwheel. :eek:
Thanks for the good suggestions everybody. It looks like the matsmatsmats.com beam is very similar to the beam store folding beam, but less expensive. And she's always happy with pink. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back