Practicing without a coach or space?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm really interested in doing gymnastics and I've started doing it self-taught because finding a local coach that does online lessons has been hard, but I also don't really have enough space to do any running or a lot of the practices from youtube videos. Is there any advice you could give or things I could practice with this situation?

Focus on strength, flexibility, and handstands above all else. Those are the things that you can train at home relatively safely and will give you the most bang for your buck.

With kids, we tend to work a bunch of different skills early on because otherwise they get bored. But for an adult who can be patient and understand the necessity of basics, handstands and rolls should be absolute top priority. Here's the general progression I'd follow:

1) Candlestick
2) Forward roll
3) Handstands
4) Backward roll to push-up shape
5) Handstands
6) Cartwheels
7) Handstands
8) Press handstands
9) Back extension rolls

I wouldn't work beyond that without a coach. But if/when you get a chance to work with a coach, if you already have a strong, straight, solid handstand, it will be almost comically easy for that coach to teach you more advanced skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back