WAG Pre-Dowel Grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

Vivianflips

What brand do you recommend for pre-dowel grips? I just stretched out one of my palm guards at practice the other day, so now I need new grips and it was time to move up to the next notch in grips anyway. I know Bailie's and Ten.o both sell pre-dowel grips but I'd like to know what you all recommend. I'm equalivent to a level 3/4 USAG but am at a non competitive gym where you just learn skills for fun, kind of like the little gym. As I'm about to learn tap swings and clear hip circles I'd like to move on to a better grip on the bar. Dowel grips are not in my future though, my coach competed all the way through elite level and never used grips so she does not like them at all. She's fine with me using more Palm guard still grips as long as they aren't dowel. Hope this all makes sense!

Just a note to those who remember, I was orginally going to try out for team at a local competitive gym but my family decided we didn't like how they handled their team program.

I'm not really sure how pre dowel grips work or what the point would be? When you use fingertip grips, the dowel goes over the bar to provide a sort of foothold for your hand. Without that, I assume the folded material would either sort of get in the way, or just act like a less effective dowel. So how would they help? Why not just get dowel grips?

Reactions: sce
DD has these same ones. So far so good! The holes were TINY though, so there was a lot of sandpaper involved. Good luck!
Yes, I did forget to mention that... with OG's grips, her fingers are the perfect size that I was able to use my Dremel sanding attachment (carefully) and made quick work of it :)

I'm not really sure how pre dowel grips work or what the point would be? When you use fingertip grips, the dowel goes over the bar to provide a sort of foothold for your hand. Without that, I assume the folded material would either sort of get in the way, or just act like a less effective dowel. So how would they help? Why not just get dowel grips?
I might just have to ask my coach if she'd allow me to use them, the bunched up material can get in the way. It'd be much easier if their was a foothold in the material!

Let us know what your coach says to dowels. I used palm guards in new level 3 and they were kinda annoying, but I got dowels this year (level 4/5) and I LOVE THEM! For palm guards I used Nastia's buckle and DGS 9.9 palms. They were great, and little sand paper involved.

Yeah I would ask your coach. It's true that there are and have been elites who don't use grips. But those days are ending. Also, a typically sized American teenager will benefit from grips because of the force being put on the bar. I only know of one high level American gymnast who does not use grips on bars who is above teenage. She is incredible but it is by no means the norm.

Yes, I did forget to mention that... with OG's grips, her fingers are the perfect size that I was able to use my Dremel sanding attachment (carefully) and made quick work of it :)
I should invest in such a thing. I used regular sandpaper and it took FOREVER!!!! @gymdog -do you think they should go straight to dowel grips? I thought HC said my DDs hands were too small, but I may have misunderstood. This is all still fairly new to me! Thanks!

She can go straight to dowel-in fact, in my opinion, going from palm guards to dowels is harder than bare hands to dowels. Have her wear pixie grips from 10.0 or hotshots from US Glove.

She can go straight to dowel-in fact, in my opinion, going from palm guards to dowels is harder than bare hands to dowels. Have her wear pixie grips from 10.0 or hotshots from US Glove.
Thanks. She has those Ten-O ones that @raenndrops posted right now. Are those ok for now? She goes back and forth to wearing them and not. I tell her to do whatever HC says!

I would assume they are ok-what level is she and how old?

I would assume they are ok-what level is she and how old?
She turned 8 yesterday :) She is doing Xcel Gold this year instead of compulsories and will (hopefully!) test out of 4/5 in a few months and start optionals in the fall. SHE thinks she's going 7, I think (from what I've learned here) she's the perfect candidate for 6. Whatever HC says! The only skill in 4/5 she's really struggling with is the kip. She can do Giants on strap bar and is starting to work on them (heavily spotted) on regular bars. If it matters, she is very average size. (49 inches, 53 lbs) so if anything, probably on the bigger side as gymnasts go. Thanks for your help!

Get her dowels if HC approves. Once she starts training giants, free hips, etc. she should be wearing dowels. Although, because of her age and weight, those might do for now. If she isn't already used to them I would suggest getting the dowels now.

Get her dowels if HC approves. Once she starts training giants, free hips, etc. she should be wearing dowels. Although, because of her age and weight, those might do for now. If she isn't already used to them I would suggest getting the dowels now.
Thank you! I'll see what he thinks. @Vivianflips - sorry to highjack your thread! But I've learned a lot :) good question!

I should invest in such a thing. I used regular sandpaper and it took FOREVER!!!! @gymdog -do you think they should go straight to dowel grips? I thought HC said my DDs hands were too small, but I may have misunderstood. This is all still fairly new to me! Thanks!

I've never done or taught anything but that. Personally I feel like the pre dowel thing seems like a gimmick to sell more products. But, maybe I am missing something. I've never seen to felt them so I dunno. If I have kids with small hands, they don't use grips until they are big enough. I don't see the point of Palm guards. I don't think they prevent rips.

I've never done or taught anything but that. Personally I feel like the pre dowel thing seems like a gimmick to sell more products. But, maybe I am missing something. I've never seen to felt them so I dunno. If I have kids with small hands, they don't use grips until they are big enough. I don't see the point of Palm guards. I don't think they prevent rips.
Thanks! HC isn't forcing her to wear them, so perhaps he agrees with you. There sure is a lot to learn in this crazy world! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back