Prep-op

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok so could someone explain prep-op to me? my state does not have prep op and a see some girls only doing lv5 skills and some doing fulls on floor. to me thats like cheating doing lv5 skills in a lv7 routine? anyone else feel this way? what im relly looking for is an explanation of what it is and how it works and the requirements. i really dont get it. and y do some states have it and not others?

Here are a couple of links that explain what Prep op is. The first is more general, the second gets into more detail.

WikiAnswers - What does prep optional mean in gymnastics

:: USA Gymnastics ::

Basically, it's an alternate program for gymnasts to compete in besides the USAG levels. There are different levels and different requirements in each state for each level. All of the levels compete their own routines. I am a prep op gymnast, and I do it because I don't want to go through the regular compulsory levels, and don't want the pressure of USAG.

Well lets see in my DD's gym PrepOp teams are of 2 types Compete and Non Compete. The Non Compete is more like an advanced rec class. The compete team is a team but they only meet 2x's a week for about 2 hours a day. They do routines like optionals where they all have their own routines but there is less time commitment, less cost and honestly from what I have seen of the compete prep op team it seems to be girls that are older and because of age wouldn't be invited to the regular team. It seems to be a program that is more than a rec class but isn't as committed as the regular team. I've seen several girls who didn't advance in level on the regular team move to prep op. The Meets I've seen well the judging seems to be more relaxed and high scores are given for routines that would never make it in the regular team. Bent legs, lots of falling, skills only average.

I've also seen girls who have lots of talent and should be on a regular team that are there because the families can't afford the regular team route.

Prep-op in my state (PA) is the same way as you described it. The only requirements are that you do 6 A's and 1 B in your routine. So you have some girls doing handsprings, some doing cartwheels. It isn't the fairest method, which is why we're pushing to adopt Ohio's prep-op rules. In that case, there are levels within prep op (bronze being lowest, silver somewhere inbetween, and gold being advanced). But the rules differ within every state. It's confusing, but you get used to it.

Although changing your routine around because a different state has different rules gets to be a pain in the butt. :p

in NH we have novice, intermediate, and advanced. in advanced you have to have a B on each event, not exactly sure what you have to do for vault. novice is pretty basic. that must be weird having no level distinctions!!

in NH we have novice, intermediate, and advanced. in advanced you have to have a B on each event, not exactly sure what you have to do for vault. novice is pretty basic. that must be weird having no level distinctions!!

It is. I'm hoping they can change it around for next season, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :p

It's about the same as Compulsory except you get to have your own routines. In NC the levels go rookie,novice, prep, prep1, then on and on....:). By the way does anyone know of any good prep op. gyms around Chicago, IL?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back