Preschool training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been reading alot about different gymnastic programs and abilitites of younger gymnasts. My daughter just turned five and she loves gymnastics! She takes acro at dance and gymnastics at a gymnastic center. She has been doing gymnastics for two years. However, when I read all the posts, I see that she is not doing anything like what I am reading in her gymnastics class! They are not even on the big bars yet! So I brought her to try a different gymnastic class (same age group) and she was totally behind with bar skills and other things - they even do handstands differently. My dilemma is she totally LOVES where she currently does gymnastics and asks to go everyday! The staff is great with kids, encouragement and work ethics. However, I do not feel they are learning much when I compare it to other programs, but she is progressing with her skills and confidence. But from what I read she is way behind where she should be! My plan is to leave her where she is at, but I am worried she is losing out! Does anyone have any comments or advice? I would greatly appreciate any input. I am clueless about gymnastics! Thanks, :p

Just to make things clear....Did you take her to a different gymnastics class or a different gym?

Last edited:
Hello, she just turned five a week ago, she is in a regular 41/2-6 year old class at her current place and would be on miniteam for the new place. Both only work out one day a week. She also takes a tumbling class and a tap class at dancing school. I do not think she is a level yet - she can only do a cartwheel one way (working on the other), a handstand to bridge, standing back roll, bridge stuff, she could do a pullover and front circle (I have no idea what they are called) from the summer classes she took with one of her friends, but they do not do them at her current place. She walks on the high beam front, back, and sideways the rest of the things she does with spots. She has never been near a vault, but they use the springboard at this gym to jump and roll onto high mats. The summer class place was not well supervised, and I personally do not think a bunch of four year olds should be on the high beam unspotted flipping off of them, but what do I know? The whole thing is confusing! Any advice for a new comer to this sport would be appreciated!! Thanks

First of all, your a great parent just for having your child in an activity. Gymnastics is about having fun, no matter where she's at. If she is having fun at both places, then it is up to you to make that choice. I would definately give the current gym the benefit of the doubt. Talk to your child's coach first, let them know what you are looking for. A good gym will not neccesarily give you exactly what you want all the time, but they should and will be able to explain why they are doing something. If talking to the coach does not seem to work after a couple tries, then ask to speak to management. Remember, for normal issues about your child, her coach is the direct link. Management should be contacted if you are not comfortable talking to the coach or you already did and it is not working.

As for the big bars, a good coach can take a 5 year old a long way on a pre school bar.

Last edited:
thanks from neurotic mom

Thanks for your advice. She totally LOVES the place she is at now, and asks to go everyday! She smiles, laughs and tries really hard! My house has become a gym - she moves the couch for 'floor', flips all over the furniture, walks on the back of the couch beam, and my walls need paint from the handstands! Of course, she only does this when she thinks I won't catch her. I am worried she is going to get hurt! I think I was getting a bit neurotic reading about kids her age doing all kinds of things on different equipment. I din't know if I was missing some big gymnastic concept. The whole gymnastics thing is so different from other sports. I wish she had liked hockey!

Hello, she just turned five a week ago, she is in a regular 41/2-6 year old class at her current place and would be on miniteam for the new place. Both only work out one day a week. She also takes a tumbling class and a tap class at dancing school. I do not think she is a level yet - she can only do a cartwheel one way (working on the other), a handstand to bridge, standing back roll, bridge stuff, she could do a pullover and front circle (I have no idea what they are called) from the summer classes she took with one of her friends, but they do not do them at her current place. She walks on the high beam front, back, and sideways the rest of the things she does with spots. She has never been near a vault, but they use the springboard at this gym to jump and roll onto high mats. The summer class place was not well supervised, and I personally do not think a bunch of four year olds should be on the high beam unspotted flipping off of them, but what do I know? The whole thing is confusing! Any advice for a new comer to this sport would be appreciated!! Thanks

Be careful when comparing gyms. Look for things that you would in a normal business. Do they have great customer service? Do they always have a staffed front desk or office? Do they seem organized or disorganized? Is the gym clean with bright colors? Is the gym generally safe? Do they care about your child? Air conditioning/heating? CPR / first aid / USAG safety certified coaches? Is there a nice observation area that you can see the whole gym from? If they care about things like that, they probably care about your business and your child.

Don't let someone throw your child through skills that she can't do. Throwing and spotting are different. Your child should be learning. For example, from the skills you have listed, she is not ready for a back handspring. The gym that is NOT letting her do the back handspring is safer.

Our ratio is 7:1 at that level. 8:1 is our highest ratio for regular classes.

4 year olds do not go on the high beams at our gym, period.

The best way to find out about a gym is from customers and people you know in the community. Ask them. Last of all, how long has the gym been in business.

Thank You,
JBS

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. She totally LOVES the place she is at now, and asks to go everyday! She smiles, laughs and tries really hard! My house has become a gym - she moves the couch for 'floor', flips all over the furniture, walks on the back of the couch beam, and my walls need paint from the handstands!

That's exactly how it should be. Gymnastics is a great starting point for any sport. Only 1% of the 4,000,000 gymnasts in the US are competitive. The rest are just having FUN!

GYMNASTICS - Start here, go anywhere!

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for clarifying about what to look for in a gym. I definately feel better now. I checked out your website for your gym - the gym she is in now looks similar the rancho bernardo gym. Good website, with alot of helpful information! If I am ever in CA I will definately check it out! I hope her passion continues if not for this than something else. I appreciate your input and time. Have a good night.

Hi, I just saw your post and wanted to reiterate what was said before about gymnastics being fun, especially at this age. My DD is close in age to yours (she turned 5 on Oct. 2nd) and I am constantly trying to remind myself that it needs to be fun. At our gym, we are in the unfortunate position of not having a class that really "fits" for my daughter. She is in a class now with kids who are a year or more older than she is and it seems to work most of the time but it is also easy to forget just how young she is. It sounds like your DD really enjoys her current gym but you have concerns that she could be learning more? I have to agree to talk to them first about your expectations before just moving her. They may be open to moving her within the gym to another class that perhaps has more hours and where she would learn slightly more advanced skills. Best of luck!

thanks

Thanks for the input. Please let me know how your dd (is that dtr?) progresses. I enjoy reading about how others are doing! My dtrs dance teacher tonight told me she is doing great, so I am just going to enjoy watching her have fun for now. She is in an older tumbling class (7-8) and sometimes I have to remind myself she just turned 5, because when I watch the class she seems 'behind' the older girls. I really just want her to have fun! It is so amazing to watch the kids try and try and then one day do it - that smile is priceless!

Hi! Yes "DD" stands for "dear daughter." I am so used to using it now that I forget sometimes that people might not know what that means! :) It sounds like your daughter is doing really well and it's great that she is taking dance. I have thought about dance for Lily but she is in gymnastics 6 hours a week now and I don't know when we would fit it in. She is progressing really well and, despite being younger, is pretty much doing what the other girls are doing. She did her first decent back walkovers last night and was so thrilled. I agree that it is great to see how happy they are when they get a skill. I hope to hear more about how your daughter is doing!

that must have been so exciting to watch - your dd (backwalkovers!) I haven't done one in years - so the other day after dance class (I also take dance) I got out the mats and tried - something I would not recommend, and the mental block to let your body go backwards is crazy! So to face that fear and conquer it is great! I am back to walking down a wall! The progress kids can make at this age is incredible - my dtrs friend, who is an older five (turned 5 in march) has gotten her back/front limbers, walkovers, ect and is now working on back flips! I also have to comment, this week at my dtrs gymnastic class they took half the class to the big equipment and started working on the bars! Keep me informed of your dds progress!

It's great to hear that your DD is starting to work on the big bars. I think someone else here commented that they can learn pretty much the whole Level 4 routine on the small bar because they don't even go to the high bar until Level 5. My DD loves bars - it's her favorite event - and she seems to really "get" it. Her coaches say she is very close to her front hip circle, which is apparently a tough one to learn.

How neat that your friend's daughter is working on back flips already! Lily has her front limber, back limber, tick tock and now back walkover but they are nowhere near flips yet. I think next up will be back handsprings on their own on the super soft mats or tramp (they only do them with heavy spotting now). I have never done a backwalkover myself (my DD does not get her gymnastic ability from my side of the family) but I can imagine the fear of going backward. I am sure it will be some time before Lily can bring herself to actully throw herself backward onto her hands for a back handspring!

Let me know how your DD likes the big bars! I'm betting she is having a great time there.

legs hurt doing front flip? over bar

My dtr likes the "big beam" the best. With the bars, she does not want to flip over forward - she says it hurts the tops of her legs, she will go over backwards. (excuse the terminology I really do not know what any of these moves are called) I cannot get her to stop 'practicing" around the house - it is getting quite dangerous. I hate to tell her to stop, but it gets a bit crazy!

Concrete Roll

We were outside today playing with my 17 month old daughter, Maggie. We were having fun playing with a big ball. I asked her to roll me the ball and all of the sudden she did a forward roll on the concrete. She was not happy after that...just proves that things can happen even when your right there.:(

forward roll on concrete

I hope your daughter is okay! (especially her head and face!) Remember if she ever needs any facial lacerations fixed to ask for a plastic surgeon. Don't settle for the ED doc - you have a right to choose -even for lacs on legs, arms etc. Hopefully you never need that piece of advice! And your right, most things happen right when you are just that extra second away. I see it ALL the time! Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your little tumbling bundle of joy! With her parental lineage it seems like it will only be a matter of time before she is rolling and flipping all the time!

She's OK...thanks for the advice. It doesn't matter if she's a gymnasts or not to us...we just want her to have fun.

My DD will not stop practicing around the house either so we bought a mat and I make her use that for the stuff that makes me more nervous. She won't stop doing handstands, though, on every surface from concrete to hardwood to tile so I am constantly telling her to be careful. It is important to try to keep them safe at home, although I understand you can only do so much. A little girl in my DD's class broke her arm trying to do back handsprings in her back yard. She thought since she could do them on the tramp, she'd have no problem in the grass. The result was 6 weeks in a cast and missing out on a lot of gymnastics classes. I'm constantly worried about my DD hurting herself at home or at school, though to her credit she will not try skills at home that she isn't completely sure of (i.e., back walkovers or back handsprings).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back