Off Topic Presidential Inauguration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NYgymfan

So we are 9 days away from what will be an historic event for the USA. Is anyone here going? I hear a lot of people are going to attend and they are expecting record crowds of people there. I kind of wish I could go, because it seems so neat and exciting to see such a significant event in person.

Is anyone's school doing anything special for it? My school is having a mid-day assembly and we will all watch the event on a projector screen in the auditorium.

I cannot imagine going, it sounds as though there will be too many people for such a small city to handle. It certainly will be a changing moment in many peoples lives. Here in Canada it is not such a big thing, but I have made sure my kids are aware of just how monumental this moment is.

I imagine you will see more on TV than you ever would in person, plus you will get bathroom breaks!

Very excited for it, but not going. My daughter is surprisingly aware of it. She's only 5 but I guess she absorbed all the talk about Obama my husband and I were doing during the election. We let her stay up on election night, where she made it clear she's an Obama fan. I'm wondering if he handed out Barbies on the campaign trail :p It's a huge moment in American history, she'll be watching and I'm looking forward to her kindergarten inauguration wisdom lol.

Well they were wrong about how many people were initially coming (they said 4 million, now it's 2 million) which is obviously a big difference. But they're closing all the bridges into the city or something (not that you could park there anyway but if you wanted to get OUT it might be kind of, hmm, difficult) and I'm sure the metro is going to be overrun. It's okay though, I would go if I was going to be around on the 20th but I really don't think I'm going to be able to get back. You have to have a ticket for the ceremony from your rep but I'd go to the other stuff if I was around.

Definately an exciting time... but to GO to DC? No chance. That's just insane. Chances of actually seeing Obama getting sworn in are slim to none. it would kind of like going to the superbowl without actually entering the stadium. You get to listen to the excitement...

We're not even in North America.. but all our Higher History/ Modies classes are going to watch it.

They're saying here Obama's the JFK for the twenty first century.

I'll watch it on TV like everyone else. I live outside of DC and would LOVE to go see this historic event, but as Gymdog has said, they've closed all the bridges from VA into DC... the metro is jam packed on just regular rush hour days... can't imagine trying to use public transportation. Oh, they did open up the bridges for pedestrians and bike riders! No thanks. It's really too bad tho. . .

I'm just dreading the impact it's going to have on traffic in my area. That's why they've closed the local school systems (they used a "moveable" teacher workday!)

I entered a contest to win tickets, but I haven't heard anything so I guess that means I didn't...my friends and I are having a party though.

I actually wrote to Senator Clinton and Senator Schumer, but apparently a lot of other people did too...oh well.

That's weird that they would shut down all the bridges. We have "gridlock alert days" here in NYC, usually when there is a big event like New Years or the UN General Assembly Meeting, but ususally they don't shut down the bridges. Subway is definitely the way to go though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back