WAG Press handstand required for stalder?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1) Do you need a press handstand from a sitting position to do a stalder? Or will it help? I have a very good press handstand, but only one and not two or more in a row!

2) Do you think stalders are harder than free hips? I kind of find the drills for stalder ways better and easier than for free hips, they come more naturally!

3) Is it necessary to have a straight arm back extension roll for free hips and stalders or are bent extension rolls enough?

Thank you?

1) Do you need a press handstand from a sitting position to do a stalder? Or will it help? I have a very good press handstand, but only one and not two or more in a row!

2) Do you think stalders are harder than free hips? I kind of find the drills for stalder ways better and easier than for free hips, they come more naturally!

3) Is it necessary to have a straight arm back extension roll for free hips and stalders or are bent extension rolls enough?

Thank you?
1) I don't know about 'need', but it definitely does help, and all my girls that do Stalders can do straddle presses. To help prevent back injuries, I don't believe Stalders are for all girls. At the bottom of the skill, there is a lot of compression that goes on with the lower back. I have certain strength and flexibility requirements that the girls must meet before they can try them.
2) It really depends on the girl. Some pick them up really well, while others struggle with them like other girls do with free hips. Glad to see USAG gives us as coaches the option to choose which skill for which girl.
3) Would find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have straight arms on an extension roll if they were working on those bar skills.
Hope it helps. :)

1) I don't know about 'need', but it definitely does help, and all my girls that do Stalders can do straddle presses. To help prevent back injuries, I don't believe Stalders are for all girls. At the bottom of the skill, there is a lot of compression that goes on with the lower back. I have certain strength and flexibility requirements that the girls must meet before they can try them.
2) It really depends on the girl. Some pick them up really well, while others struggle with them like other girls do with free hips. Glad to see USAG gives us as coaches the option to choose which skill for which girl.
3) Would find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have straight arms on an extension roll if they were working on those bar skills.
Hope it helps. :)

Thank you, this helps A LOT!!!!

May I ask you two more question?

Would it be a lot beneficial to have more than one press handstand or is one enough?

Could you tell me the strength and flexibility requirements you use?
I can do about 10 leg lifts on stall bars and I have a hyperextended pancake of about 8 inches on both legs...

Thank you, this helps A LOT!!!!

May I ask you two more question?

Would it be a lot beneficial to have more than one press handstand or is one enough?

Could you tell me the strength and flexibility requirements you use?
I can do about 10 leg lifts on stall bars and I have a hyperextended pancake of about 8 inches on both legs...
I've never had a girl that I said to 'hey, you have too many straddle presses' ;) So, one is very good, but more is better!
They need a very strong core, must be able to do multiple straddle presses, and most importantly a straddled pancake with their feet a minimum of 8" off the floor, which you already have! :)

I've never had a girl that I said to 'hey, you have too many straddle presses' ;) So, one is very good, but more is better!
They need a very strong core, must be able to do multiple straddle presses, and most importantly a straddled pancake with their feet a minimum of 8" off the floor, which you already have! :)

Thank you! By multiple straddle presses you mean standing straddle presses, right?!

Which angle should a stalder be? 90°?

I think it is easier to have a wider hyperextended pancake than a one that is narrower! But in a 90° angle I sill have 8 inches overstretch so I guess it is ok!

1) Yes. Handstand, straddle down and then back up.
2) Like any other skill, you eventually want to go to handstand, but you first have to be able to learn to go around the bar at any angle you can, and then start working your way up from there. Ask your coach about in-bar stalders, as that is how I always introduce them. I find it makes for a much easier transition.
3) Yes, wider is usually easier than piked. Give them time and you will get them. :)

1) Yes. Handstand, straddle down and then back up.
2) Like any other skill, you eventually want to go to handstand, but you first have to be able to learn to go around the bar at any angle you can, and then start working your way up from there. Ask your coach about in-bar stalders, as that is how I always introduce them. I find it makes for a much easier transition.
3) Yes, wider is usually easier than piked. Give them time and you will get them. :)

Thanks again for your great reply. All my questions are answered now :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back