Coaches Press handstand troubles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a level 8 gymnast and i still don't have a stradle press handstand from sitting on the floor. :yikes: I'm just wondering if anyone knows any drills or has any advice on how to do them, because I am having a hard time with it. (I would love to finally be able to do it). :bouncy::applause:

Try doing a Drag Press--where you drag your feet along the floor to bring them by your hands then press up to handstand. Also, try presses against the wall and with spot. I was able to do presses when I was young, but when I got older and hadn't done them in a while, I lost it. Hopefully this will help ya out some.

My girls do endo rolls as part of their daily warm-up. The goal is to stop in straddle support between each roll, then continue rolling without the feet touching.

Doing this every practice definitely seems to help their presses.

core bodt strength is a big YES when trying to do these, also i found when i was learning them if i did them just after streching out my legs it would work better and make it easier to get my legs off the ground

You could try doing Handstand straddle downs to your feet ( done in control and slowly ), then move on to handstand straddle down to clear, hold clear. working all the muscles you will be using for the press....
also doing presses fron straddle stand against trapezoids stopping in straddle, hold that position, finish the handstand, then come back to straddle, hold, and come back to straddle stand or clear - depending on how much work you actually need to do on them....hope that helps and made sense!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back