Coaches Press Handstand Work Everyday?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Malaika

Coach
I just joined this user group because I hope I can get some help here and I also think it is better to ask here than in the parents forum.

Iwant to know if Press Handstands should be worked everyday and how?

Would it be best to do a full press handstand workout everyday or split it up?

I am asking because I will start coaching girls in acrobatic gymnastics in September.
They all have their press handstand, some better some not so good, but most of them can do 3 straddle presses in a row as well as standing pike presses and one pike press from L Sit on parallettes/hands.
I need to make a strength and flexibility plan for them in the first hour of their practice. They train 6 days a week, 2 hrs at a time.

First 15 minutes is Warm-Up (Running, Arm Cirles,..)
Then 30 minutes of strength.
I do Arms Monday+Thursday, Legs Tuesday+Friday and Core Wednesday+Saturday.
Just regular things (pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, handstand push-ups, leg lifts, hollow rocks, single leg squats, jumps,...)
Then 15 minutes stretch.
The second hour is skill and partner work.

So I have 15 minutes left to train press handstands with them and I would like to do it right after warm-up before strength training.

But I don’t know how it would be best? Splitting it up? Everything in one go?

Monday+Thursday: compression work for 20 mins (V-Sits, Sitting leg Lifts,...)
Tuesday+Friday: Pike Presses in different variations (standing, from L, from V)
Wednesday+Saturday: straddle presses in different variations (standing, sitting, hands wide and narrow)

What would be better? And why? I hope you can help me, I really wanna be a good coach :)

The more strength the better (we do 45 min a day) add event strength onto the end of each rotation as well. We do not press every day, usually 2 or 3 times a week.

Our acro girls (from level 3-international) work presses every training as well as other things. Depending on the levels your coaching it would change. If you could provide the level I could give you some more specific info

Our acro girls (from level 3-international) work presses every training as well as other things. Depending on the levels your coaching it would change. If you could provide the level I could give you some more specific info

Thanks! They are L7!

Depends on what you are doing. If its only presses for 15min, its going to kill their wrists. Now, if you're working other strength that helps presses (like the v-ups and things mentioned above), that's great. Once they have the ability to press, though, I see it more as a conditioning exercise itself (ex. 2 sets of 7-10 presses in a conditioning circuit) or mixed into a beam complex. They only time I really focus on just presses is with compulsory kids who are still learning to press. If they are Level 7 and have the ability to press already, I'd incorporate it into conditioning or beam and use the 15min to work more stretching and handstand holding.

And the fact that you are on here hungry to learn and asking questions when you aren't sure already part of what will make you a good coach. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back