Preventing rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a meet this weekend and my hand looks like it is about to rip. Is there anything I can do to keep it from ripping, at least until after Saturday, or should I just let it rip, and focus on letting it heal. I can't really not do bars because our coaches don't let us skip bars unless we are hurt or have a really bad rip. Thanks
-gymluvr33

P.S. I am a Level 7, and I am working a lot on giants atm.

What I do it make sure that my caluses dont get to big by soaking my hands in warm water then taking a pummus stone and scratching them off. Then every night I put a bunch of Preparation H on my hands and put gloves on. I put lotion on all the time also.

Thanks gillatard, I got some of the same advice at practice, today, so I guess it must be good advice:p

I ripped.:( Oh, well, it's just a baby rip, so I'll just do a search on how to heal rips quickly. I did get some advice at prictice today to soak my hands once a week, and remove any white (meaning dead) skin using a pummice (sp?) stone.

Any other ideas?

You can also use a regular razor and shave the dead skin off.

I could never pluck up the courage to do that lol! But you do need to remove the flap of skin or it will rub on the new bit making it sorer! I find cutting it off with clean nail scissors works well. You cant fell it and it comes off cleanly.
A trick I learnt on here is to use teabags! Sounds crazy but it really works! If I have a rip I will bandage a used teabag on it put a sock on it and leave it overnight! It sounds ridiculous but it makes a huge difference!!

For gym put a dressing on it and tape it REALLY well! Also put two or three layers of tape on top of the dressing to try to prevent the friction coming through to your hand!

Shaving your calluses doesn't hurt at all, especially if you soak your hands. You can't feel it and it just takes off the top dead layer nice and clean.

I could never pluck up the courage to do that lol! But you do need to remove the flap of skin or it will rub on the new bit making it sorer! I find cutting it off with clean nail scissors works well. You cant fell it and it comes off cleanly.
A trick I learnt on here is to use teabags! Sounds crazy but it really works! If I have a rip I will bandage a used teabag on it put a sock on it and leave it overnight! It sounds ridiculous but it makes a huge difference!!

For gym put a dressing on it and tape it REALLY well! Also put two or three layers of tape on top of the dressing to try to prevent the friction coming through to your hand!

I have used tea bags before, and they do work very well. The only thing I dislike about the tea bags is that they stain my hand brown:( I probably will use the tea bag, though. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Shaving your calluses doesn't hurt at all, especially if you soak your hands. You can't feel it and it just takes off the top dead layer nice and clean.

Thanks, I'm going to try this again today. Do you know if a razor works better than a pummice stone, or vice versa?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back