Coaches Private lessons - at another school?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Specifically a coach question:

Next week, my family will be traveling to Bethlehem PA to be with family during the holidays. DD (L3) asked if there were any gyms in the area that would be fun to visit. Of course being raised in Bethehem, there is only one gym that came to mind - Parkettes in Allentown PA.

The idea of arranging for one or two private lessons while we are there came up, and I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, Having an impartial set of eyes on my DD's routine may be beneficial, and she wouldn't miss an entire week of training during this competition season. (This of course assumes they accept pvt lessons to non-parkettes)

But on the other hand, I'm not sure getting training from anyone but her own coaches is such a great idea, as Nastia may get advise that conflicts with her own coaches training ideas.

Looking for opinons...

Really the best person you can ask is your DD's coach. Every coach will have an opinion on this.

My kids have trained at other clubs, though they have gone into groups around their level and have not had private lessons. In the UK and San Diego they trained for a week with girls their age/level and had a blast, made friends we have still and learned about gymnastics in other countries. They also have done summer training at a club an hour away from ours, before we had a gym of our own and summer training there. That was a different kind of experience and they did work on the same levels they use, it was also a great experience as being with other coaches can be very beneficial.

My girls also go to summer camps, as do many of the girls on the board, they are exposed to many different coaching styles there, and I have to say that has been a positive thing for them.

But, as I said, ask your coach first, and then work out if it can work for you.

One of the Moms here, nettyinpa, has a DD in Parkettes, she may be able to help you. But, maybe a group lesson would be more fun than a private, she could also make new friends whilst learning new technique tips!

IMHO of course!

Last edited:
As a coach, I love it when my kids are able to train while on vacation. They'll always have fun at another gym...they're kids.

If you are happy with your current gym, no harm will be done in working out at another gym. If you have any issues with your gym or coach...address them before you visit another gym. If you are not happy with your current gym and you visit another one...everyone knows what direction that takes you...to another gym.

Hmm... good points about Camp. That never crossed my mind, even though we are looking at signing her up for Summer camp 09. (Apparently Woodward, and other reputable camp's fill up very fast)

We'll ask coach this week anyway. Maybe she'll have some thoughts of her own on the subject.

We're quite happy with our gym. No complaints on this side whatsoever. Concerns, sure. Complaints, not a one. I'm just trying to make sure we're doing the right thing by Nastia and not contradict or overstep.

Last edited:
YOu may want to search the threads on the board about camps, there is a ton of info and comments. Many parents feel that Woodward is very free, and a lot less structured than other camps. It may not be the best fit for a younger child, but you know her best.

There are a few other good choices for her though IGC and USgym camp are within two hours of woodward.

I am sure Nastia would love to meet some other gymmies from away, mine still has a penpal in the Uk from our trip in 2006, I still stay in touch with the head coach and we trade floor music!

Last edited:
Specifically a coach question:

Next week, my family will be traveling to Bethlehem PA to be with family during the holidays. DD (L3) asked if there were any gyms in the area that would be fun to visit. Of course being raised in Bethehem, there is only one gym that came to mind - Parkettes in Allentown PA.

The idea of arranging for one or two private lessons while we are there came up, and I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, Having an impartial set of eyes on my DD's routine may be beneficial, and she wouldn't miss an entire week of training during this competition season. (This of course assumes they accept pvt lessons to non-parkettes)

But on the other hand, I'm not sure getting training from anyone but her own coaches is such a great idea, as Nastia may get advise that conflicts with her own coaches training ideas.

Looking for opinons...

OOhh - off topic but my cousin lives in Hellertown - tell her howdi for me :D

Definitely check w/ her coaches 1st. I dont mind when my compulsory athletes train at other gyms while away for the holidays. I also agree w/ trying to get her into a workout w/ a group of kids her age/ level rather than privates, if you can. There is also a gym called girls co op, right in Bethlehem, PA.

Arranging for her to work in a group at her level isn't terribly uncommon and I personally think that would be better than a private. I'd just check with the coaches and see whether they want to try and arrange it or if they want you to call...different coaches will do different things. Generally gyms will accept visitors in their competitive level practices, it is considered kind of fun for everyone and just a generally nice thing to do. I can't remember what level your dd is though.

There is not too much that can go wrong in a week, as far as changing her skills or anything. If she were to train somehwere for a lot longer maybe, but it is unlikely they will change what she is doing in a week.

I think training in another gym, especially one like parkettes can be an incredible experience. I think she would enjoy working out in a class too rather than privates.

But be aware of different exppectations in different gyms. Here in Australia the average leve 3 works out about 8 hours a week (our level 3 is very similar to the USA level 3 standard but the kids compete at level 3). But it can vary hugely from gym to gym. Some gyms only have their level 3's in once a week for 2-3 hours while other gyms have them in 12 hours a week. So you can imagine the training intensity for a L3 can vary greatly depedning on the goals of the gym. make sure you check it out before putting your daughter in.

I agree with Aussie_coach. Remember the differences in training expectations and intensity. Our Level 3's are young, hence only two days per week for two hours, with an optional Friday 2 hr practice, for those who wish to faster track. I would suggest only going as often as she is currently used to.

As a former gymnast some of my favorite moments were guest gymnast experiences. My family did a lot of it as I was growing up. I guest trained at SCATS in S. Cali for a week at a time for several summers as I visited grandparents. It's a good reality check to see what other gyms do.

From a coach's point of view, I've allowed numerous guest gymnasts in to our practices. In season practices are always a bit more tricky, you don't want to mess around with someone else's work in progress and contradict, but if they are professional they will recognize the potential to overstate one's training opinions.

Sometimes downtime is good. She won't lose too much in just a week.

Well, We had our first out-of-gym experience today, and it was nothing but good. We attended open-gym to break the ice into the new setting.

My concern is that Nastia is a bit on the shy side, and doesnt do real well without a coaches direction. She'll move away from others and keep to herself. In new groups, she also tends to avoid anything that she's not 100% sure she can do. Again, you're basic shyness.

Luckly, One of the Parkettes vault coachs noticed that she's pretty much mastered BHS, he encouraged her to incorporate a back tuck into the skill. She was very hessitant at first, but he worked with her until she became more comfortable.

Then she started to do a little conditioning work. Leg ups on stall bars, and practicing her press to handstands on the mushroom, rope climb, etc. One of the Parkettes L8 coaches was there, and saw her trying so hard and unattended, that she came over to help and they hit it off immediately. Coach Stephanie was so impressed that a 9 yo L3 wanted so badly to do TOP's. (We don't have a gym close to home that does the TOP's program, so we are working on it at home). She helped with her TOP's routines, provided some great conditioning tips, and then moved on to the bars.

Nastia is competing L3, but started practicing L4 skills during normal gym. Coach stephanie helped her for a good 20 minutes on her Kip (getting better!) and as a special treat, also taught her (part of) the L5 bar routine. It was her first time for her going from the low bar to the high, and she her head was literally in the clouds. She couldnt have been happier. She was even more estatic when she did the turn on the high bar on the second try without falling. Ear to Ear smiles.

All in all, she learned 2 completely new skills today, and got some great tips on the rest of her routines.

I'd say a VERY good day. Parkettes were nothing but inviting, encouraging, and amazingly helpful. I couldn't be more pleased.

She has a group class on Wednesday night, and a private with the L2-L5 coach to work on her beam and floor skills Tuesday Afternoon. She can't wait to go back! Truely the highlight of her vacation.

And as for Dad... just watching her from the parent seats, seeing her smiling and so excited, that just makes my day.

Last edited:
Tim that is wonderful !!!

I am so glad it is working out so well. I sure hope you enjoy your vacation and your Thanksgiving.

Give DD high 5's on the new skills !!!!

I am glad she had such a good experience, but please, please please do not do TOPs conditining and routines (I'm not sure what you mean by this-there are no TOPs routines.) at home. I do not think you are a coach (maybe I'm wrong), which is one reason I am advising this, but also your gymnastics relationship with your daughter should be one of support, not trainer or conditioner. I've been in this sport a long time, and have seemed this well intentioned extra "help" backfire in spades. I ahve never seen it work to either the gymnasts or parents end. You seem like a really nice guy from your posts, which is why I am writing this.

Please be patient w/ her progress- it sounds like she is doing quite well. This sport is truly a marathon, not a sprint.

I am glad she had such a good experience, but please, please please do not do TOPs conditining and routines (I'm not sure what you mean by this-there are no TOPs routines.) at home. I do not think you are a coach (maybe I'm wrong), which is one reason I am advising this, but also your gymnastics relationship with your daughter should be one of support, not trainer or conditioner.

You are correct. I'm not a coach.

Why wouldn't you support home-conditioning? I understand not doing home gymnastics, but conditioning??? How can this NOT help?

The TOP's conditioning I am talking about is:

- Standard warmup, then dynamic stretches, followed by static stretches.
- 20 Pushups, 20 V-Ups, 10 Pull-ups
- Stall Bar leg-ups from pike position. (3 sets of 10)
- Rope climb in pike position (2 sets to 6 feet, then down)
- Practice press to handstands
- Kick up to handstand, perform 5 shrugs, hold for as long as possible. Repeat.

There are many other things she can choose, but these are the specific ones recommended by a TOP's trainer.

How can this type of home conditioning backfire? I'm really curious about this because I believe we've created a conditioning plan that meets/exceeds what her gymnastics coaches recommend.

It should be noted that we have 3 open times during my week if my DD wants to "work out" at home. IF she wants too workout, I'll be there for her. But we don't do scheduled training regimes nor do I press her to do them.

We only do what she wants to do, understanding that we have set and charted personal conditioning goals. It's up to her if she wants to meet/beat her goals.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back