Parents Privates For Team Members

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
Does your gym allow team members to have private lessons? If so, are there certain rules about it? (i.e. a coach has to agree it is necessary or no uptraining or only so often) If yours does not, and your child was struggling with one thing that he/she just could not "get" during regular practice time - would you find it frustrating that she could not get "extra help"?

Our gym allows privates for rec kids. Actually, I don't even think you have to take classes at the gym. The handbook does not specifically say that team kids can NOT do privates. It states: "Because these gymnasts spend so much time in the gym for regularly scheduled practices, it is generally not recommended or necessary for them to add private lessons. Gymnasts, like all athletes, need time for their bodies to rest. Private lessons for team members may only be scheduled with their direct coaches under limited circumstances when performance or safety issues exist."

I know that some girls have done privates in the past, though I don't know any details. The problem that we are having is that our daughter has seriously struggled with her FHS vault (she is in new 4) this year. After the first meet, where she had a low 6 (her lowest score on any event last year in old 4 was a high 8), we asked about doing privates. They said no. We also asked if they could video tape her, because she is a very visual learner. They never did. The second meet, she barely scored any higher. She was frustrated, so we told her to ask on her own and that maybe they would respond differently if they knew that she wanted to fix the problem so badly (she just can NOT block off of the vault table). They said no. Her highest score this season before states was a 7.8. But most of her scores were in the high 6's and low 7's. They videotaped her (all of the girls) the day before states, and her score at states was an 8.450. Well gee, ya think? It still is NOT pretty at all, though.. and I think that score was a bit inflated with it being states. She is extremely frustrated because she has not been able to get her AA score above a high 35 because of her vault and has never placed in AA. She does the math and is so sad that her scores would be a full two points higher if she could fix it. She works so hard on it, but they do not set up any drills specifically for her (no one else has an issue) and they just keep telling her that she is not blocking. She knows that she is not blocking. I really don't think that she is controlling it though, does that make sense? She has no issue with any of the other skills on any other event. She does a ton of shoulder flexibility exercises at home, but she can't vault at home. We had parent/gymnast/coach conferences recently, and it was mentioned that vault is her weakest event (ya think?) and that it would be judged even harder next year IF they moved her up (she has ALL of her level 5 skills - maybe a few aren't polished - but they don't compete for another 8 months). We again asked about privates. Nope. I have to say, we are thinking of switching gyms over this (and some other issues). It really bothers me that we pay so much money and our daughter commits to so many hours (and did not miss one single practice this season!) and they won't help her. :( She is not trying to do privates to get ahead or learn new skills. I "get" that gymnasts already spend enough time in the gym, but would 30 minutes a week really be a big deal when she already does 15 hours? There is just something that she is NOT getting mentally about it, and I truly believe that some privates with drills specifically set up for her (or even going back to the basics) combined with video would work wonders. I just don't get why it is such a big deal. I don't need my daughter to win every meet, and she is not a "super star" anyway, but scores this low should just not be okay, in my opinion. Not when the gymnast is capable of 9's on everything else and had AA's in the 37's-38's last season (at another gym, we moved to a new state). The coaches have some "favorites" and I just do NOT see them allowing those girls to get scores like this EVER.

Ugh. Sorry for the vent. What would you do?

We can do privates at our gym but most don't. She already goes 16-20 hours and just doesn't have time if she wanted.

Only our team members can do privates....if you can find a coach who has the time to give them. A lot more girls want them than actually get them. My DD has weekly privates. At the first part of the season, it was to help her sequence her routines as she struggles with remembering what comes after what. After she has her routines down, HC uses them for upskills. My DD looks forward to them because she loves HC and enjoys her bonding time.

Around state meet, a lot of people start complaining about the lack of slots available because everyone wants a little tweak and some extra polishing. But we don't have a lot of coaches so a lot of people get frustrated about not getting extra time.

We CAN do privates if absolutely necessary but I have only seen it a couple of times.
My dd is having an awful time with vault too, much of the same issues and scores as your dd. I asked about perhaps doing a private to help and was told it wasn't necessary, it would come in time and she would get it. Quite a few of our girls are struggling with vault and they don't practice it every day, but it seems lately they are doing more drills to improve elements of it so.... I sure hope it will improve by next season, like your dd if the vault score was even close to her other scores she would have much more of a shot at placing AA...

HC will do privates... if there is a specific issue that can't be fixed during practice (but we only practice 7.5 hours a week). They are only available to girls who haven't missed ANY practices OR have had an extended illness... but they are rare. Haven't seen one in the last 2 years.

What are your gym's policies regarding Open Gyms? Do they offer them regularly? Are you allowed to go to another gym's Open Gym (just to "play around")?
If yes to either of the last 2 questions... Handstand hops can help with blocking on vault. My OG does them at home, but I am right there and she has a mat that she does them on. And I don't recommend any of the crazy stuff my gymmies do at home to anyone.

We do have open gyms, but they are very crowded with mostly little kids. Thus, no vaulting is allowed. :( I am not sure how they would feel about her going to another gym's open gym. She really needs one on one help, though.

We have lessons available upon request, with the option of the coach to decline for any reason. Team girls get lessons all the time, to work on specific skills. Rec kids get them also, and I even know of one mom who took a few to get a few neede moves for karate. We have open gym once a month, but there is no vaulting allowed during open gym.

I'd be frustrated too! It does sound like she's slowly improving, going from a 6 to an 8.45 over the season. My dd's current gym does allow privates, but her last one, they were pretty uncommon. If you like almost everything else about the gym, I'd just stick with it and keep asking. Have you spoken with the owner and/or HC or just the team coaches?

We do have open gyms, but they are very crowded with mostly little kids. Thus, no vaulting is allowed. :( I am not sure how they would feel about her going to another gym's open gym. She really needs one on one help, though.
I wasn't thinking Open Gym to actually vault... I was thinking of it more for handstand hops. Maybe an older / higher level girl would be willing to go too and work with her on them ???
My YG and OG both got skills at an open gym just working with older kids.

At our gym anyone can do privates anytime there is a coach available. They also do open gym. Our open gym tends to be older kids and is after team practice so some just stay longer.

I will say with team members privates are less what the gymnast wants to work on and more what the coach wants them to. Lol

As for the vault, you said she is visual. I would go on yourube and look for drills and high scoring or placing FHS vaults. That might help.

I do find it odd and frustrating they can't even give her drills to work on her own. I mean, maybe just doing handstand push ups against the wall or another strength exercise could help. Btw I have no clue if that exercise helps blocking Lol

Last edited:
What I have learned after watching five years of FHS vaults: some kids are just not that good at them. They just don't have the dynamic power to hit the table with straight arms and pop that thing off and get a decent flight (and a good score). Unless she is doing something wrong form-wise, I am not sure that privates will help her much. They could just frustrate her more. How are her other teammates doing on vault? Are they scoring 9s? If so, it's likely not a coaching issue.

More time and more time and more time, more practice, more size, and most especially starting to train the flipping vaults where she has to run as hard as she possibly can to make it work will strengthen her FHS vault. DD's vault coach had despaired of her ever being able to do a decent FHS vault, but something finally clicked for her this year (now that she's doing Yurchenko timers with the springboard), and at her last meet, she did two good vaults and leaped up the ordinals within her team.

Patience. A LOT of it. And hugs for your daughter. I know it's frustrating, believe me!

Only our team members can do privates....if you can find a coach who has the time to give them. A lot more girls want them than actually get them. My DD has weekly privates. At the first part of the season, it was to help her sequence her routines as she struggles with remembering what comes after what. After she has her routines down, HC uses them for upskills. My DD looks forward to them because she loves HC and enjoys her bonding time.

Around state meet, a lot of people start complaining about the lack of slots available because everyone wants a little tweak and some extra polishing. But we don't have a lot of coaches so a lot of people get frustrated about not getting extra time.

Not trying to sound like a jerk here, but if there is not enough availability for everyone who wants/needs a private to work on a skill they might be struggling with, have you or your DD's coach considered reducing your weekly privates? It just seems fair to me, since you've said your DD uses them for uptraining, which should be happening in practice anyway, if she's ready for those skills.

Not trying to sound like a jerk here, but if there is not enough availability for everyone who wants/needs a private to work on a skill they might be struggling with, have you or your DD's coach considered reducing your weekly privates? It just seems fair to me, since you've said your DD uses them for uptraining, which should be happening in practice anyway, if she's ready for those skills.

I've offered. The offer was declined.

It could be that they are not willing to do privates because it's not something they can "fix" in a private. The FHS vault takes time and sometimes they just have to gain more experience doing it over a year or so. Then it will click. So perhaps they just want you to relax and know it will come with time. I would actually be encouraged that they aren't willing to just take your money.

I am very guilty in the past of wanting to "fix" things. Vault was one of those areas. Like OMG what can I do to get her help. Why is she so terrible at vault? But the longer they stay in the sport, the less control you have as a parent. You have to just put them in a place where you trust the coaches and encourage them. Perhaps the real issue is that you don't really trust the coaches or feel like she is at a good gym?

I mean, maybe just doing handstand push ups against the wall or another strength exercise could help. Btw I have no clue if that exercise helps blocking Lol

She does do these at home, as well as "pop pop" drills on a mat, handstand shoulder touches, shoulder shrugs on the bar, one arm handstands, and lots of shoulder stretches... she has been trying so hard, but it just hasn't really made an impact. There are girls scoring 9's, but most of them either "get" things faster than she does or were up training the FHS vault last year in old 4 (our old gym did not up train). I know that she has several more years of the FHS and I am sure she will get it eventually. She is much better at the "half on" they do sometimes. But I guess we are both just a little frustrated that we are committed financially and time-wise, and in a way it feels like they are not as committed to helping her get her vault to where she can get the best scores possible. To me, if it was enough to keep telling her that she is not blocking, it would have worked by now. :) If you equate scores with grades in school (a/9- good, b/8- fair, c/7- improvement needed, d/6, struggling, etc)... then it seems like a c/d student or a 6/7 gymnast (on one or more events) should be eligible for extra help. Even if it was a one time deal. But they won't even discuss it. It just rubs me the wrong way that they acknowledge it is her weakest event and that it will only be judged harder next season and that they may even want her to repeat because of it.. and they know how much she wants to fix it and that she is there every single practice... but just won't allow it. I could see not allowing gymnasts who are excelling on every event to do privates to get ahead in skills (we had this issue at our old gym with some of the girls). But I really don't see what the big deal is if an otherwise good gymnast who is scoring 9's on everything else can only get out of the 7's once on an event.

Our gym does privates and a lot of people do them. Especially during the competition season to do a little extra polishing etc. We have done them and found them to be very helpful for different things- when DD was struggling with a specific technique issue, polishing before a meet, and for some work on higher level skills that her current group is not yet doing but she is more than ready for. I find that DD's coaches are honest about need, they tend to let me know if they want some time with her to work on whatever, and they have also said that she is in great shape and doesn't need any. I trust their judgment- I feel strongly that they know what they are doing- they know that I am willing to do the privates and I think on the whole we work together regarding this issue. :)

How are her teammates doing on vault? If she has teammates who are getting 9s, that tells you that the coaching is likely not the issue. What do you imagine would happen in a private lesson on vault that is not already happening in practice?

I think that unless there is some technical issue with the vault that the coaches do not have time to correct in practice, privates specifically for vault are not likely to be a very efficient use of time and money. You basically can't ask a kid to run full speed down a vault track over and over again for an hour. And if the issue really is power and a lack of effective blocking because there just isn't enough power, tweaking the form a little bit will only add a few tenths.

Look at your L5s and your L7s. Are they almost all doing fine with the FHS vault? If so, encourage your daughter to relax and just keep working on it. It will come. It's just going to take some time. It sounds like she is making progress. If the coaching is good, she will get there.

You didn't say how old she is. I'm no coach, but it sure seems to me that younger/smaller gymnasts have a harder time with the FHS vault: they just have to "grow" in to it. Ours had terrible vaults for four full competitive seasons (two with a flat-back vault and two with FHS), and I knew that it was holding down her AA score. But she eventually figured it out. I think part of it was that she was just too small. I know that wasn't the only reason, but it was a contributing factor. Now she gets in the 9s consistently and places very high on vault.

Now if there are communication problems (or "other issues") with your gym then that's a different matter. At the very least they should be willing to tell you where they think your daughter is at and what the expectations are for her progress.

But for the vault I would say... patience. And try not to blame it on favoritism. Sometimes coaches focus on the development of good fundamental skills for higher levels rather than the scores at the next meet.

She is almost 9 1/2. :) Not the smallest one on her team but not the biggest... actually, the smallest one vaults very well. She is definitely not the most powerful. She does have to work harder to get things on bars and vault versus beam and floor.

I don't think they are not helping her (and not allowing privates) because she is not a favorite. I just don't think that they would ever in a million years allow one of their favorites to ever get scores in the 6's and 7's without intervening. Unfortunately, it is very obvious who is a favorite at this gym.

There are other issues that have us looking into other gyms, but this is definitely part of it. It does bother me that they will not even entertain the idea of working with her one on one and that they waited the entire season to video tape her even though we asked them to seven months ago. She does watch YouTube, but I am not sure if it is really the same. She seems to know what she is supposed to do, she just can't do it. :( They are never hands- on with her on vault. They just tell her that she is not blocking (which she knows) and then they move on to the next event. Since no one else is having this problem, no special drills or anything are set up just to help her.

I really do appreciate all of the insight. :)

Both my kids gyms do privates. One is ridiculously overpriced, though! DD has done privates off and on over the years - and usually for fear issues, or when she wanted to learn something faster than the other girls in her training group (as in when she suddenly woke up and realized she wanted to move from the L5(old) group to the L6 group and was done playing around a couple of years ago). I felt it was perfectly appropriate to pay extra when I wanted her to "get extra". She loves privates, but her HC does not offer them "year round"...nor could I afford them - although had they been an option I'm not sure I wouldn't...

As far as the FHS vault goes - well, if your DD is improving on it great. Its hard for kids to be good at it on the table if they didn't up train it previous years (its soooo....different from the flat back).

DD never broke a 37 as a L7 because her darn FHS vault is just stuck at a lovely but not dynamic 9.1....(in our state 9.5s are stellar by the way....one or 2 a year...). She's glad to move to a Yurchenko...unless her fear thing sets back in, then back to privates!:confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back