Coaches Problem with cast handstand clear hip to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I'm clearly doing something wrong, because most of my girls (level 7&8&9 skill level, but not in the US) have this bad habit of doing a straddle cast handstand that doesn't entirely go to handstand, closing the legs super late near horizontal (on the way down) and going to the clear hip from there. Their clear hips are not great, they are still not consistently hitting handstands. When I force them to start the clear hip from a perfect handstand they almost never hit handstand in their clear hip, maybe just 10-20% of the time. When they start from those casts that DON'T go to handstand and they close the legs on the way down they hit the handstand maybe 70% of the time.

What are we doing wrong? Is it just something that the girls have learned from each other and figured out to be a great way to "cheat" their way up to the handstand? Part of the problem might be that I'm not demanding enough when we do cast work. They all CAN go to handstand if forced, but then they can't do the clear hip and fall. When I spot them they are fine.

Some of the girls did this technique even before I started to coach them (2 years ago). The level 7 skill level girls that are my "own" (I started to coach them when they did compulsories but moved to this optional group this summer) are more frequently hitting cast handstands and doing clear hips out of a full handstand.

How do I "ban" this technique when it seems to be the only way that many of the girls can do their bar routines without falls and hitting their clear hip and toe handstand? We are still in the middle of the meet season. I also feel like the girls don't know how to lean backwards from a full handstand fast enough and how to push the bar on the way down.

I'm happy to PM videos of their routines if anyone is willing to watch. I don't want to post a public link.

kip cast pike, kip cast pike, kip cast pike, kip cast pike, kip cast pike. every day, until they hit pike handstand and fall over on soft mat, (I also put a small pad around the bar between hands so if shins hit it doesn't hurt). Then when H stand is solid in pike shape... add straddle. repeat.

Thank you! Somehow I missed your reply.
Now that the meet season is over we have put in the work and focused on kips and casts. Maybe the problem is on kip and casts after all. They are doing progress already.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back