Coaches problem with straight arms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has her level 4 bar routine but on the single leg cut back (I think thats what it's called) she collapses when she does it and has to bend her arms if she bends her arms so has no problem getting her leg over. She is incredibly strong and the coach is at her wits end. I am beginning to think the reason that it is difficult is the fact that her pelvis is slightly twisted (even her foot turns in a little on that side) She couldnt even do splits on that side until the chiropractor gave us specific stretches but her foot still turns in yet. She is a third yr level 4 and has never been able to do it. Will she ever need to have this skill after level 4? And other ideas? TIA

Honestly, I hate the whole stride circle sequence of the L4 routine, because once you're past level 4, you never ever have any reason to do anything even remotely similar to any of those three skills (shoot through, mill circle, cut back)

Anyway, that said, what I do to fix this problem with my girls is have them learn basics on pommel horse. A leg cut is a pommel horse skill, not a bars skill, and I teach it to them on pommel horse as well as bars.

Our boys coach also put together a short sequence of pommel skills to help with this.

One thing you might want to express is that she keep that supportive hand as close to her hip as possible. In some that have had problems, their center of balance is too far away from this supportive hand/arm.

I finally learned the reason behind the mill circle. The action of completing the mill circle is similar to the action of completing a glide kip. Other than that--I hate that skill, and the funny thing is--I could do a kip, but I couldn't do the mill circle.

It's actually easier to learn the backwards leg cut on pommel horse first. As well, she basically needs to learn how to lean on one arm. Bending the arm is similar to this but not preferable.

I like to have the kids "rock" back and forth from one arm to another on the floor bar, while keeping their arms perfectly straight. Which, I guess would be similiar to working on pommels.

Hi

OMG i had written a big post but damn browser. So let me try again a shorter version.
Main reason for bending the arm (in my opinion) is becasue most kids can't/dont shift their weight. From 2 hand support to single hand.
In order to teach you can do P-bars walks backward, forward. You can also do it (should) side ways along a single rail (both ways).
Also most kids swing their leg across thinking if i throw the leg quickly i can do it haha..of couse that mean they wont shift their weight to one arm, and but they will also twist at their shoulders pulling them of the bar causing them to bend the arm and rest on the bar for support. Teach them to lift the leg over and control it, while leaning ove the bar slightly.

Can i ask why is she still after 3 years in L4? If this is the only thing holding her back, i would question the coaches motives? Or at least their reasoning.

The mill circle teaches the grip shift for under grasp bar skils such as front giants. Its kinds silly in a way but if you have a gymnast struggling to understand how to do it (the grip shift) while keeping pressure on the bar, and pulling down on it, then this is 1 possible drill.
Overall i think the L4 bar is silly. I say this because they have so many skills that are there just in order to make up skills. Not to mention its a rediculous gap between L4 and L5 bar. I mean there are swings, a pullover and a1/2turn... And all that when for the last year you have spent no or little time on swings.

Well that is my 2c

Honestly, I hate the whole stride circle sequence of the L4 routine, because once you're past level 4, you never ever have any reason to do anything even remotely similar to any of those three skills (shoot through, mill circle, cut back)

Anyway, that said, what I do to fix this problem with my girls is have them learn basics on pommel horse. A leg cut is a pommel horse skill, not a bars skill, and I teach it to them on pommel horse as well as bars.
I wonder what we could do that drill on since we dont have a pommel horse
One thing you might want to express is that she keep that supportive hand as close to her hip as possible. In some that have had problems, their center of balance is too far away from this supportive hand/arm.
I remember the coach talking to her about being like a table leg and she still couldnt get it
I finally learned the reason behind the mill circle. The action of completing the mill circle is similar to the action of completing a glide kip. Other than that--I hate that skill, and the funny thing is--I could do a kip, but I couldn't do the mill circle.
Hmm I hope it helps her get her kip soon:p
I like to have the kids "rock" back and forth from one arm to another on the floor bar, while keeping their arms perfectly straight. Which, I guess would be similiar to working on pommels.
Hopefully the coach can try that with her this week
Main reason for bending the arm (in my opinion) is becasue most kids can't/dont shift their weight. From 2 hand support to single hand.
In order to teach you can do P-bars walks backward, forward. You can also do it (should) side ways along a single rail (both ways).
Also most kids swing their leg across thinking if i throw the leg quickly i can do it haha..of couse that mean they wont shift their weight to one arm, and but they will also twist at their shoulders pulling them of the bar causing them to bend the arm and rest on the bar for support. Teach them to lift the leg over and control it, while leaning ove the bar slightly.

Can i ask why is she still after 3 years in L4? If this is the only thing holding her back, i would question the coaches motives? Or at least their reasoning.

The mill circle teaches the grip shift for under grasp bar skils such as front giants. Its kinds silly in a way but if you have a gymnast struggling to understand how to do it (the grip shift) while keeping pressure on the bar, and pulling down on it, then this is 1 possible drill.
Overall i think the L4 bar is silly. I say this because they have so many skills that are there just in order to make up skills. Not to mention its a rediculous gap between L4 and L5 bar. I mean there are swings, a pullover and a1/2turn... And all that when for the last year you have spent no or little time on swings.

Well that is my 2c
When she does the cut back as soon as her leg goes over her arm collapes and her belly ends up sagging on the bar :confused:
She hasnt gotten her kip yet and she can do her front handspring but it is ugly:eek: Otherwise she has everything else. She still has never cracked the 36AA either:(
Thanks for all the input !!!:) We'll try a few more things :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back