WAG Problems with my kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can someone help me out with my kip? I have it, but it’s not super solid and I can’t keep my arms straight when going over the bar (look at the attached images) the images are screenshots from two videos of me doing kips since we can’t attach videos on here

Attachments

• 6187B1BE-8F79-4F72-9248-6538F298E66F.jpeg
    6187B1BE-8F79-4F72-9248-6538F298E66F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 03D5F47A-77AF-42BD-AFE4-6274ED856AFA.png
    03D5F47A-77AF-42BD-AFE4-6274ED856AFA.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 84
The arm bend isn't the problem; it's a symptom.

I wouldn't be able to diagnose these from just the ending still frames normally, BUT in this case other frames from the video are visible down at the bottom of the image, and conveniently enough, one of the frames displayed appears to be the one where you are just starting to bring your toes up to the bar, and I suspect that's where your problem lies. In that frame, I see your head coming out and your shoulders closing, and from the angles (and from the fact that this is the most common problem in a kip), I'd guess you're closing your hips and shoulders too early as you initiate the kip.
Try to stretch the glide swing all the way out until you feel it stall in front; the kip should then initiate as you start swinging back down the other way. Hips should bend first, and shoulders should remain mostly extended until your hips pass under the bar, and only then should your shoulders close to push the bar down.

(Another common contributing factor to bent arms in the finishing phase is grip; you actually want a pretty loose grip for a kip, and this will cause you to naturally regrip to the top of the bar)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back