Parents "Progressing way to fast" .. ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Why are you pushing anything?

I was wondering the same. I would not push anything at home, and just let her be a kid, daughter, etc. My ds has therapy for his shoulder and we do not even make him do that at home. We encourage, we suggest. but we do not push. He usually does that at gym, and he knows that to get better, he needs to follow the directions of his PT. So the most we do is say..."hey, have you done your therapy today?" Other than that, we do not suggest anythign to him.

I would wonder about her core strength. It's one thing to have all the skills, but moving on to the harder skills requires a LOT Of strength and stamina. It's great that she has all the skills but absolutely NO WAY is her conditioning level is up to that of girls who have been in gymnastics 5 (or however many) years doing an hour of conditioning, strength and flexibility a day. So this could lead to injury when she tries for harder skills until she gets her stamina and conditioning up.

NO WAY is her conditioning level is up to that of girls who have been in gymnastics 5 (or however many) years doing an hour of conditioning, strength and flexibility a day. So this could lead to injury when she tries for harder skills until she gets her stamina and conditioning up.

Actually, her conditioning, strength and stamina "could" be great. We really don't know what she has or hasn't been doing. For all we know she could be doing crossfit.....

Reactions: sce
I know I'm straying from the initial post but...

My ds has therapy for his shoulder and we do not even make him do that at home.
When my dd broke her elbow and needed to do PT I pushed hard for her to do it every day. Every situation is different but for me if a Dr./PT told my dd that she needs to do something, it's not a choice. Maybe you feel different b/c your kids are older. My dd was 7 a the time.

Actually, her conditioning, strength and stamina "could" be great. We really don't know what she has or hasn't been doing. For all we know she could be doing crossfit.....
Ha!! Well that is true! But aside from that it probably isn't. I can't think of another sport where the kids are as strong all over as gymnasts. This is why gymnasts dominate all the presidential testing at school right!?! ;-)

When my dd broke her elbow and needed to do PT I pushed hard for her to do it every day. Every situation is different but for me if a Dr./PT told my dd that she needs to do something, it's not a choice. Maybe you feel different b/c your kids are older. My dd was 7 a the time.

I do feel that way because he is 15, and needs to take responsibility for his own gymnastics. If I make him, then it can become a power struggle. He knows what he needs to do to get better, and knows if he does it he will improve faster, so that is on him.

Age is a big difference with that. A 7yo really would need to be told to do it. My Ds sprained his ankle at 13yo, I encouraged and reminded about the PT work but at that age Yu don't make them anymore. Mind you he did it as he wanted to get back to full use at gym.

Why are you pushing anything?

I did not say I was pushing anything, I just said I wasn't pushing hard skills, I am not against at home training nor do I think its a great idea, I was just concluding that I didn't push hard skills I don't push anything besides telling her to clean her messy room LOL. No but really I just didn't say I didn't push anything, instead I just said I didn't push hard skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back