Parents Progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter finished up level 4 and is training for level 5. She has all of her skills for 5. The back walkover on beam is the most inconsistent. Last year the previous 4’s scored out of level 5 and did platinum. This year the new head coach feels strong about competing 5. She says there are foundational skills that are essential to optionals. I’m fine with whatever the coaches feel is best. Our state meet is in December so after state they will compete platinum. Then hopefully progress to 7. Has anyone gone this route or know anyone who has? What does your gym do? I have never heard of doing compulsories for half a year and xcel the other half.

There used to be a lot of teams that did that when most states basically had 2 seasons. Their compulsories would do Xcel in the spring after compulsories in the fall. BUT once they finished compulsories, they would stay JO if they were ready.
My question is why would they do Platinum instead of Level 6? L6 is better training for L7... but is similar to Platinum. The only advantage to Platinum over L6 as prep for L7 would be 1:30 max time on floor. All other advantages go to L6 (angles, vault, etc).

All I know is my daughter did 5, the rest Of her team did 6/7. They repeated 7. They all did 7 together her 1 st their 2 nd, she scored better. They are all currently 8. Her bars are better for the time spent at 5. And they are all at the same place.

Their path is their path.

5 gets dissed a lot but we are glad she spent time there

So she would compete 5 in the fall, platinum in the spring, skip lvl 6 and compete lvl 7 the next fall?

As long as they are getting plenty of time to work on uptraining for 7 during the lvl 5/platinum season, I don't see a huge issue with it. However, I also don't think competing platinum is necessary. That's a long time to be competition ready, in some ways I think it would be more beneficial to use the spring just concentrating on getting ready for lvl 7, instead of competing platinum. Plus it would be cheaper! :)

There used to be a lot of teams that did that when most states basically had 2 seasons. Their compulsories would do Xcel in the spring after compulsories in the fall. BUT once they finished compulsories, they would stay JO if they were ready.
My question is why would they do Platinum instead of Level 6? L6 is better training for L7... but is similar to Platinum. The only advantage to Platinum over L6 as prep for L7 would be 1:30 max time on floor. All other advantages go to L6 (angles, vault, etc).

I don’t know. We came from an xcel program so my daughter doesn’t want to go back to xcel. My thoughts are they are using it like 6/7 but I don’t know for sure. I am not at the gym often because we carpool and practices are so long so I just leave it up to my daughter to communicate with me. I will see with this years girls who competed platinum and how well they do in level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back