WAG Pros and Cons of Raffle fundraising?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
We don't have a booster club. We are looking at around $400 in apparel costs this year. I'm considering a raffle where parents donate items, then we sell raffle tickets for the items. The kid keeps the money from the tickets that they sell. Has anyone done this? How did it go? Any legalities I need to consider?

The laws depend on the state, but I have dealt with this directly for several fundraisers. In my state, raffles fall under the state gaming commission, so we have to follow rules including applying for a raffle permit, strict tracking of raffle tickets, providing the name(s) of the winner(s), and there is a tax (5%) that we pay to the state, even though we are 501c3. Plenty of organizations run raffles without going through this process, but that is very risky. If you have specific questions such as how we track the tickets, feel free to PM me.

Yes, rules and regulations for raffles vary depending on your state and town. My state has laws that prohibit 50/50 raffles, although I've seen plenty of them, especially at gym meets. There is also a limitation to the cost of raffle tickets and other procedural issues.

Some states have a rule that essentially means that you have to offer a variable price (we do $1/ ticket or $5/ 6 tickets).
I would check with the state Gaming Commission...
Also, if any of your girls are considering college gymnastics, there may be issues there.

I would hesitate to have the girls keep the money themselves. Instead, I would pool it and discount the amount each family pays accordingly.

Find your states' gaming commission and find out what you have to do. I know there are different rules for different types of raffles. IT might be easier to have a silent auction or something like that with fewer regulatory rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back