DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
If your child has participated in any part of the elite programming...
  • TOPs
  • Hopes
  • Camps - TOPs / DIC / DC / National Team
  • Jr. or Sr. Elite
  • Future Stars (MAG)
  • Other countries too
  1. What was your child's experience and what were the pros & cons?

2. What path did they take?

Let's hear more about how everyone has used the elite programming. The actual path that athletes take through gymnastics is very interesting.

I have two gymnasts. My son Connor just turned 13 and has participated in the Future Stars program since he was 9. My daughter Ellie is 8 and participated in TOPs this last year.

The Future Stars program has been invaluable for my son -- the focus on strength, flexibility, and basic technique has helped him so much. As a 10 year old, he qualified to Nationals and made the Development National Team as well as the camp (which was unfortunately canceled because of COVID). He participated in the virtual evaluation in 2020 and then qualified to Nationals and again made both the Development National Team and Camp for the 2021 evaluation (camp to be held this summer). The training and routines have helped him prepare for the technical sequences required for the JE path for MAG. He qualified for L8 JE Nationals last year but broke his foot right after returning from regionals, so was unable to compete.

2021 was my daughter's first opportunity with TOPs. She has always been super strong, but her skills were slower to come. We were all surprised when she managed to qualify to TOPs Nationals and then made the TOPs A camp. The entire experience has been positive, though quite challenging, for both her and her coach. It made them push to get skills she may not have been working on yet (thinking about you, BHS on beam!). I know they are making a lot of changes to the TOPs program for the next session, so I'm not sure what is going to happen moving forward.

-Courtney

My daughter did Hopes last year and is in Devo Camp. She is/was trying to go Jr Elite this year or Hopes again if she doesn’t get the score, but broke two toes late Nov and hasn’t really competed this season yet. I would say it’s a lot of stress on not only the gymnast but the family, we’re always planning our lives/vacations around gymnastics. She loves camp (actually leaves next Monday) she has fun with the girls and having fun in the hotel.

We don't have elite aspirations for our daughters, as I don't feel its healthy for children/teenagers to spend so much time in the gym cut off from the outside world. My oldest worked towards and qualified Hopes 3 years ago but didn't make nationals. My 13 year old has her compulsary score and may try to get an optionals score later this season, not sure when she'll be ready. None of my daughters have done Tops. Elite is a commitment, you have to be willing to go all the way.

We don't have elite aspirations for our daughters, as I don't feel its healthy for children/teenagers to spend so much time in the gym cut off from the outside world. My oldest worked towards and qualified Hopes 3 years ago but didn't make nationals. My 13 year old has her compulsary score and may try to get an optionals score later this season, not sure when she'll be ready. None of my daughters have done Tops. Elite is a commitment, you have to be willing to go all the way.
You do realize Hopes is pre elite right. So how you talk about the elite path, but your kids are still trying to become elite

You do realize Hopes is pre elite right. So how you talk about the elite path, but your kids are still trying to become elite
I sure do realise Hopes is pre elite. But it is not as demanding. It's a taster, which is the furthest I'm willing to go. This is NOT to say Hopes isn't hard work.

Both my girls did TOPS/TOPS teams and camps . My oldest also did HOPES , developmental camps and Jr. Elite ...and then she was done with the elite scene because in her words "it's never good enough, never" . So at the ripe old age of 12, she dropped back to level 10 and stayed there for the rest of her gymnastics career.

When she decided it wasn't for her was after a successful JO Nationals, she was an event winner and went to camp in TX after that , only to be screamed at by Marta that she "sucked"....and she said to me "I don't think I suck". Her coaches ( and my husband) had a REALLY hard time with her opting out of elite and all that went with it because she "has so much talent" but I supported HER choice because she was the one at all the practices and getting screamed at. My caveat with your child "trying "elite is to be completely open to the fact that it is not for everyone and if they want out, just be supportive of that choice, period. Having seen all of this, my youngest did the TOPS teams but said "I'm good" when elite was brought up and she just competed as a 10 for many years.

Pros: a lot of very focused coaching for certain skill sets
Cons: it is life consuming both in terms of the athlete's time, family's time , family's finances. At the time , they wanted her at the gym 6 days a week, she lived and breathed gymnastics, didn't want us to take a vacation ( we did) , wanted her home schooled ( hell no) so it was a lot. I think COVID has (hopefully) taught folks that you can take time off and it's not the end of your career.

Well guess I’m at the wrong gym. Because Hopes and Jr/Sr elite are all the same. Same hours same traveling
Not by us. Hopes qualifying scores are much lower. My DD made it simply by reworking her level 10 routines. I dont think any extra skills were needed!

You say your 13 year old may do her optional elite score later this season but you are not sure when she will be ready. Doesn't that mean she is training elite and if she passes she will be defined as elite? I'm abit confused as you say you don't have elite aspirations but both your girls are/or were on the elite pathway. Will you let her qualify and then just pull her back to JO? Are the coaches supportive of this route?

You say your 13 year old may do her optional elite score later this season but you are not sure when she will be ready. Doesn't that mean she is training elite and if she passes she will be defined as elite? I'm abit confused as you say you don't have elite aspirations but both your girls are/or were on the elite pathway. Will you let her qualify and then just pull her back to JO? Are the coaches supportive of this route?
Exactly

Back from when my daughter tested elite, you could test and get your scores but decide not to commit to the elite path and continue as a Level 10 … maybe rlm’s mom’s kids like the training but don’t want the all consuming elite path … although i will say , when my daughter dropped back to 10 , we weren’t testing elite anymore just because she could , we were back in JO world. I liked being able to drop the expenses of elite , at least.

I think one point of confusion. To be qualified elite versus on the elite path. For the sake of this conversation, I consider on the elite path, so that means training TOPS, Hopes or Elite qualification including already qualified elite.

Everyone's experience is unique, just like everyone is their own person. There is no right or wrong. What we know is that the elite path takes a level of commitment of an order of magnitude from JO, the coaching is more intense, the pressure is higher, the potential for injury. But the rewards are higher too. Improved skills, increased exposure, more future opportunities to leverage gymnastics to other areas (NIL, colleges, international exposure). Some girls/families don't like that intensity and commitment and costs (tangible and intangible) others are willing to accept that trade-off. Again, doesn't make any route better than the other one. You can certainly accomplish all your goals going the JO route but all things equal, even spending a little time on the elite path is beneficial.

I think one point of confusion. To be qualified elite versus on the elite path. For the sake of this conversation, I consider on the elite path, so that means training TOPS, Hopes or Elite qualification including already qualified elite.

Everyone's experience is unique, just like everyone is their own person. There is no right or wrong. What we know is that the elite path takes a level of commitment of an order of magnitude from JO, the coaching is more intense, the pressure is higher, the potential for injury. But the rewards are higher too. Improved skills, increased exposure, more future opportunities to leverage gymnastics to other areas (NIL, colleges, international exposure). Some girls/families don't like that intensity and commitment and costs (tangible and intangible) others are willing to accept that trade-off. Again, doesn't make any route better than the other one. You can certainly accomplish all your goals going the JO route but all things equal, even spending a little time on the elite path is beneficial.
By not on the elite path I mean my DDs aren't making a career of becoming elite gymnasts. They are not working towards world championships or anything of the sort. My 13 year old would love the opportunity to compete at Classics, and if she can do so simply by reworking her level 10 routines by all means I'm happy to support her. She is training a new connection for her bars routine and has a full-in to a crash mat on floor. If those are ready by the last qualifier her D score may be high enough for her to qualify elite at the last qualifier this season. Likely chance she won't qualify but I'm happy for her to attend the qualifier as an experience.

By not on the elite path I mean my DDs aren't making a career of becoming elite gymnasts. They are not working towards world championships or anything of the sort. My 13 year old would love the opportunity to compete at Classics, and if she can do so simply by reworking her level 10 routines by all means I'm happy to support her. She is training a new connection for her bars routine and has a full-in to a crash mat on floor. If those are ready by the last qualifier her D score may be high enough for her to qualify elite at the last qualifier this season. Likely chance she won't qualify but I'm happy for her to attend the qualifier as an experience.
Right, but they are on the elite path then, even if the "elite or bust" goal is not there. They are working within the elite training framework.

So they are in the elite path. You’re just telling yourself if they don’t make it that wasn’t the goal anyway, but if they do make it then your ok with it?

So they are in the elite path. You’re just telling yourself if they don’t make it that wasn’t the goal anyway, but if they do make it then your ok with it?
My DD isn't going to make it to senior elite, and making it to junior nationals is basically impossible too! According to her coach, with her routines she has a chance to qualify but can't get further with her basically level 10 routines. The goal is not elite, it is an experience we are happy for her to have if we feel she actually has a chance of qualifying.
Any problems with that?

My DD isn't going to make it to senior elite, and making it to junior nationals is basically impossible too! According to her coach, with her routines she has a chance to qualify but can't get further with her basically level 10 routines. The goal is not elite, it is an experience we are happy for her to have if we feel she actually has a chance of qualifying.
Any problems with that?
What’s Jr nationals? You mean classics or championships?

It sounds like she is saying that her daughter is going to compete at the elite qualifier using her level 10 routines with the goal to qualify to Classics with no expectation that she will make it to Championships. So, the end goal is to have the experience of competing at Classics and then go back to Level 10.
Thanks for summing that up:)
We can get back to the topic of this thread now

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back