Protein?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

Kristen1294

I stopped eating meat several years ago and i am noticing that i am slowly getting weaker. i do all my conditioning and even lift weights outside of practice yet i can not build muscle. i am really picky so i do not get much protein. any suggestions as to ways to get protein besides those shakes that make you gain a lot of weight?

Everyone who is thinking of becoming a vegetarian really needs to investigate sources of protein before making this decision, IMO. Try soy products (tempeh, tofu), beans, nuts (almond butter is good), eggs...

I think it's more likely you have a B12 or iron deficiency problem. Unless you truly don't eat a great variety of food, it's not that hard to get protein. If you're extremely limiting your diet, or you aren't eating an appropriate amount of food over the course of a couple days, then it's possible, but I'd usually think it was iron first. B12 is a possibility although probably less likely because it takes a long time for a B12 deficiency to show up (for this reason adequate sources of B12 should be watched fairly closely).

Also, it's hard to tell whether slowly getting weaker indicates a big problem or just a general strength/weight ratio change. Do you always feel tired? Get sick often? I'm not as strong as I was when I was younger (and smaller) for sure, but I'm not unhealthy. Actually gaining strength (rather than maintaining) may be more difficult for the average teenage girl versus a younger girl. But by all means if you feel you lack energy or something is really wrong, you need to see a doctor and probably get bloodwork done (they can check for deficiencies). You can try to correct it yourself but you risk going wrongly down the protein path (which I personally don't know a lot of people who struggle to get enough of it IF they're eating enough and a balanced diet in general) when it's really an iron problem or something else.

If you aren't eating meat then you need to seek out incomplete proteins to have in your diet. Muscles are composed on proteins (mainly actin and myosin) exercise both gymnastics and resistance training tear the muscles down. In order for them to resynthesis you need a daily adequate protein intake (usually calculated out based on your weight in grams per day).

In addition to coaching I work as a personal trainer and am training for marathons- I'd recommend a protein supplement- specifically the apex brand because its manfactured by a pharm. company following industry standards (please note the fda doesn't regulate any supplements). if you'd like more information send me a pm.

how about professional help at a minimum. it is dangerous and unprofessional to discuss what i have read above.

and gymdog saying to see a doctor was sufficient.

[URL="http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/vegan_diet.html"[/URL]

Many vegetarians and vegans are B12 deficient because that is where you can get B12. I think you can also get it in an algae supplement.

The reason those shakes make you gain weight is because they are many times full of sugar. Simply buy some whey protein and mix it in water. You can find a few flavors and vanilla mixes really well with orange juice but you can also mix them with other juices depending if they are flavored or not. Whey blends pretty well. You can go with milk, egg, or casein protein or if you want soy. In general, I don't reccomend soy. There have been plenty of studies that have showed doses of soy protein can act like birth control or the "pill" because of the phytoestrogen. Whether this is from soy itself or the numerous chemical processes it takes to turn soy into a soy protein product is hard to say.

Protein to the greeks meant MOST IMPORTANT. More important than carbs and fat. That doesn't mean you need to eat 90% protein ( though some cultures in harsh environments due eat protein heavy diets to no ill effect ).

Are you vegan or just don't want to eat meat? Drink some milk or eat some yogurt or cheese if you have nothing against dairy. Or eat some eggs unless you have something against that.

If you are vegan, you will probably either have to go the soy protein route or eat massive amounts of veggies like in the above guide.

Doctors don't do diddly about nutrition besides the much maligned food pyramid. A nutritionist perhaps. Asking a doctor about nutrition is like asking an automobile body mechanic about engine problems.

As well, many pubescent girls and females also happen to be iron deficient and anemic which can be a reason besides b12 deficiency as to why they seem unenergetic.

Protein is essential in a growing body!! You have to get it from somewhere. Talking with your doctor and a dietitian would be very helpful for you. I would also consider taking a one a day type multi-vitamin as your body is still growing.

There are protein alternatives for a Vegetarian. Are you a strict vegetarian or do you eat dairy products, eggs etc?

[url="http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/vegan_diet.html"[/URL]

Doctors don't do diddly about nutrition besides the much maligned food pyramid. A nutritionist perhaps. Asking a doctor about nutrition is like asking an automobile body mechanic about engine problems.

Doctors know a lot about the body and they can recommend a good dietitian or nutritionist. Keeping your doctor in the loop on your health is a necessity. I would highly recommend a checkup to make sure it is just a diet adjustment that is needed and these aren't symptoms of something else that may need medical attention.

I would also have a visit to a dietitian or nutritionist to make sure you have all the things you need in your diet to eat healthy for your growing body.

Many vegetarians and vegans are B12 deficient because that is where you can get B12. I think you can also get it in an algae supplement.

B12 is basically synthesized from bacteria. When people eat animal products, they are getting the bacteria that was basically in that animal's gut after they got it from soil bacteria as a source of B12 (that's a rough depiction of the actual process but that's why I'm not a biologist ;)). Technically a vegan could do the same with unwashed produce because of soil bacteria, but there are safer, much more reliable synthetic sources (cyanocobalamin). CVS sells a gelatin free vegetarian formula of this.

Keep in mind supplements are not FDA regulated for safety and efficacy, so be careful what you take. This is why it's important to consult a doctor about what supplements are appropriate. However in my experience most of the doctors aware of the B12 issue will give the advice to seek out a safe, reliable source of cyanocobalamin. However, if you have a deficiency, it's REALLY IMPORTANT to get it checked out because you may need a higher dose or a more bioavailable form. If you truly feel sick or weak, it could be due to this among a variety of other things completely unrelated to your diet.

But B12 deficiencies generally take a long time to become a problem (and can be a problem whether you eat meat or not - some people have a hard time synthesizing this and the role of B12 and mood disorders is sort of an emerging thing but it is being used to treat some symptoms like that). Iron is a pretty likely culprit in teenage girls, especially with the onset of menstruation. Calcium can interfere with the absorption of iron (while Vit C can enhance it) so for those who have absorption problems things can be a little complicated. But you need to have vitamin and mineral levels checked by a doctor to be sure, and to get advice on a regimen that makes sense. Although most doctors aren't nutritionists, they can either administer and analyze the results of a blood test to check for deficiencies or refer you to someone who can (pediatricians don't always do this, in my experience).

I'm not really going to address soy as hormonal birth control except to say I wouldn't be all that concerned and I certainly wouldn't count on it. But on that note, maintaining B12 and folic acid levels is important for woman of childbearing age.

look folks, i implore you to go back and read the initial post. then read 'about me' in her personal profile.

is it possible that what has been described is a 'wasting' problem? you all need to read the post very closely. your astute attention to detail may reveal to you that there may be another problem going on.

i know JB and i think he would agree that dispensing any advice on this topic on this site could be reckless.

and to kristen1294, please speak with your parents. they will know what to do. you may need to see your doctor.

Always see your Doctor if you notice a weakening in your body. They can and will advise you. Blood/urine tests are a good way for them to see where your issues lie.

Being picky is a problem that leads many children down the path to malnutrition, sometimes you have to get over that and eat a balanced diet guided by a nutritionist.

At the Sport clinic I sometimes take my girls to there is a sports nutritionist who helps atheletes maximise their potential through diet. Starting a food diary is a good thing before you see a dietitian, and being totally honest when writing it will help a professional see where you might be going wrong.

I think we all agree that a doctoer visit is in order. But more than that is just helpful advice.

is it possible that what has been described is a 'wasting' problem? you all need to read the post very closely. your astute attention to detail may reveal to you that there may be another problem going on.

If you're going to make statements like this, you might as well just come out and say what you think. I don't find implications like this and everyone else's ability to read to be any better. If you feel it's not appropriate, then PM a moderator (though bogwoppit has already weighed in), don't say anything, or just say whatever it is you feel you have to. And to be honest I'm not sure what in her profile says anything about this issue, and I don't know what you mean by a "wasting" problem. There could be any number of problems going on. As I noted in my first post and I'm not afraid to say, it may simply be a matter of not eating an adequate amount of food and that's one thing any teenage girl needs to be aware of. It's not an uncommon problem or anything to be ashamed of or hinted around.

Last edited:
Don't worry the mods have this all under control, we are allowed to give advice as long as we aren't giving medical advice. Everyone said their bit and advised a doc visit, that is all good by me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back