Parents Proud of my daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Neither of us ever heard of this before, but it’s apparently at least a semi big deal, so I’m proud of her! She’s still loving gymnastics and can’t wait to get back to her college next year to restart their program- it fell apart when she left.
3FE0D369-C75A-4847-85C2-5167A54EF343.jpeg
C93CBB09-DCED-42FB-8529-F2FB07E784A6.jpeg

It is a semi-big deal! Congratulations to your daughter! It has more importance in some sports than others-for example, I would put it on a resume if your daughter was a rower and planning to work in the UK. It is still an honor for any sport and she should be proud. And definitely buy a jacket or something before she comes back home!

Very cool! I didn't realize that colleges in the UK competed sports. I have always read/heard how the US is so unique in that sports are related to colleges here. Has she been competing for Oxford?

Very cool! I didn't realize that colleges in the UK competed sports. I have always read/heard how the US is so unique in that sports are related to colleges here. Has she been competing for Oxford?
She has, yes! They do compete and they have coaches and their own gyms, etc. They just don’t offer scholarships for it at all, or vaunt it over academics. She actually competes on three teams over there- artistic gymnastics, trampoline, and crew (rowing).

I think what’s unique in the USA is that colleges often act as de facto minor leagues for the pros. The EU has a much more developed club system (like USA gymnastics, actually) where the best players come up through clubs rather than D1 universities (like the in the NFL).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back