WAG PSU summer camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymettemom

Proud Parent
Has anyone sent their gymmie to PSU summer camp? My 12 year old level 6 attended a sleep away camp last summer; however, that camp will not be available this coming summer. I'm looking for other camps and PSU camp to mind.
How is the camp run? Do they get a lot of gym time? Did your gymmie come home with any new skills. Any insight would be great.
Thanks

My daughter has attended the PSU gymnastics camp (regular and advanced camp). I loved the advanced camp last summer (girls must be entering 9th grade or above - it's mostly L8s and above), but it was great for higher level gymnasts. She went to the general PSU camp a couple years ago and I wasn't as impressed. She had an awful roommate and I wasn't impressed by the supervision. I think it would have been a lot better experience if she roomed with someone she knew. She had former teammates who got new vaults at the regular gym camp though.

She has also attended the U of MD and U of Ark camps. Arkansas was probably my favorite other than advanced camp for the overall experience.

Whether it's a college camp or private camp, I find that gymmies get the best results when they focus on a particular skill (at least mine does). Mine got front giants at the PSU advanced camp last summer, but that was her goal.

My daughter has attended the PSU gymnastics camp (regular and advanced camp). I loved the advanced camp last summer (girls must be entering 9th grade or above - it's mostly L8s and above), but it was great for higher level gymnasts. She went to the general PSU camp a couple years ago and I wasn't as impressed. She had an awful roommate and I wasn't impressed by the supervision. I think it would have been a lot better experience if she roomed with someone she knew. She had former teammates who got new vaults at the regular gym camp though.

She has also attended the U of MD and U of Ark camps. Arkansas was probably my favorite other than advanced camp for the overall experience.

Whether it's a college camp or private camp, I find that gymmies get the best results when they focus on a particular skill (at least mine does). Mine got front giants at the PSU advanced camp last summer, but that was her goal.

How was U of MD? That might be a viable choice. We are in PA. Arkansas is pretty far. I have heard before that supervision at PSU isn't the best. DD doesn't want to do crafts. LOL. She wants gym time!

MD camp was pretty good. DD was at the MD camp during the last Olympics and she enjoyed it (I don't remember crafts but they had a door decoration contest one night and painted nails another). There was plenty of gymnastics.

The only issues were the dorms were really hot (no air conditioning in dorms, but gyms were fine -- bring a big fan) and we had an issue with group placement. The group placement issue reflected the difference between skills in January when she applied and skills in July when the camp occurred. It made a big difference at the time because she was moving from compulsory to optionals (she had giants by July but was put in a group practicing basic casts). A number of our team girls went last summer and really enjoyed it.

Ha! I guess my ears should have been burning since you guys were talking about me. ;)

Yes, DD went to PSU camp two summers ago. She had fun, it was well organized, lots of gym time. They kind of make a big deal about new skills. You get to write each new skill on a star and tape it to the mirror or some such thing. And there were lots of stars on the mirror by the last day. That said, it really depends on your kid. If she's "slow and steady", don't expect any miracles. If she picks up skills easily, she'll probably pick some up. But there are a lot of kids there, and I think a fair amount of time is spent waiting for turns. But that's likely to be the case in any summer camp situation. If you're going to do it, do it because it's a fun experience doing what she loves with other girls who love it too. Don't do it as an investment in skill acquisition.

Like Maryland there's no AC in the dorms. DD was mad because I sent her with a little table-top fan. They really need the big honkin' box fan. Also, I assumed since they were in dorm rooms that they'd have little refrigerators in their room, but they take them out of the camper's rooms, so you go back to your un-air conditioned room after a hot, sweaty practice and can't have a cold drink, which is kind of a bummer, I think. DD didnt complain about it, but I would have!

Woodward is really great too (about 30-40 minutes from PSU). DD said she liked both camps the same amount, but I felt like she got more of a camp experience at Woodward... Out in the country with cabins (air conditioned!), outdoor space, a pool, etc.

My DD attended PSU advanced skills camp 2 summers ago, and Kent State camp last summer. She loved both of them for their focus on gymnastics, and not too much "fluff" (she had previously attended IGC several times, where they had loads of fun and it was great for younger gymnasts/lower levels).

Our HC prefers that upper optionals attend college camps versus Woodward or IGC. At PSU and Kent, she was able work specific skills and get feedback from college coaches to prep for recruiting.

Yes, though the "advanced skills" camps are a lot different (I would imagine) than their standard camps. With such big training groups, I don't think anyone is getting much individual attention.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back