Parents Puma Jr retires…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Well, this isn’t a post I thought I’d be making for a few more years, but it is what it is. After 12 years of gymnastics, including 8 years competing, Puma Jr says she is done. She’s had three fairly big injuries in an 18 month period, broken ankle Jan 2020, broken wrist Dec 2020 and a scary fall from full handstand on highbar while switching grip June 2021. This last injury required an ambulance ride to the hospital and 12 days in a wheelchair. She tried to come back this summer, but her hip still hurt so much and she doesn’t think she can continue. Thankfully, she was able to do diving. After breaking the modified school record last season, her first year at Varsity was a success. She qualified to Sectionals, then State Quals, and ended up #9 in the Section (about 60 kids in the section, only two made States)and top Freshman in the Section to boot. But…now the diving season is over and its a bit rough here. She’s struggling with having too much free time, getting cut from cheer, her beloved rat dying, and some nasty mean girl stuff at school. Uggggg Teen parenting is HARD. My heart aches for my baby. But hopefully there are good things on the horizon! This too shall pass, right? Thank you to everyone who has followed her journey, and I’m looking forward to cheering your kids on. I hope I can always be a part of the Chalkbucket family. :)

So sad and happy at the same time! I know the transition is so hard! I am glad she has found diving, and hopefully she will find her niche soon! Proud of her for making a difficult decision like that!

And, you have to stay here ;) it is required. Eventually, they all retire!

Sorry about the retirement. It's a shock when they make the decision even if you knew it was coming but... Welcome to the diving world. It's much less stressful for the most part (says the mom who watched her daughter hit the 3 meter board at her last meet). No big injuries in diving thankfully.

I find it much easier to watch because I can figure out the deductions.

Definitely look into club diving, she doesn't have to join the team, many clubs have practices for kids who just want to learn dives. Another plus, if she loves it enough that she wants to have a college sport, it's a lot easier to get on a college dive team than a gymnastics team.

We have lots of athletes that have transitioned to diving over the years. Try to find a diving team.

I've always wanted to start a diving (and swimming) website... seems like there are many from gymnastics that move into diving.

So bittersweet, but sounds like she has found another passion that will drive her. I agree with finding club diving. We have so much of that here, there must be teams available up by you?
You definitely cannot leave the Chalkbucket, you are one of the reasons why I stayed when I first stumbled here. Your guidance and honest look at things are needed here!!
Keep us updated!

Yes to all the above... and welcome to Diving , or as it's known in my house, a kinder , gentler nation. Like B&M's mom, I too find it easier to judge the scoring , or maybe I'm just blissfully unaware but the stress level was WAY less than gymnastics.

My youngest never dove until her freshman year in college and had a successful NCAA career with so much less drama than I was used to, and I welcomed that.

Could she do club diving anywhere? Because it sounds like she did amazing!
Best of luck to her. And you. :)
The closest club team is in Rochester, an hour and a half away. I don’t think we could do that 4 times a week, and I don’t think she would want to? Her diving coach is willing to meet her an open swims and work with her sometimes and were looking into some camps too. We‘ll see!!

Wow, that last injury sounds really scary, but I’m glad she’s ok! Seems as if diving is a great next phase for her even though it stinks there is no closer club team. Best of luck to her in her new endeavor!

Agree with you that 14 - and starting HS - and transitioning from gym is hard! I'm sorry she had such a string of serious injuries, but so glad that she seems to have really enjoyed diving and had such success there.

Which she wants nothing to do with…sigh… maybe she‘ll change her mind? I think as she gets into a better headspace she’ll be more open minded to things? We’ll see… 14 is HARD!!! Lol
We have had several gymnasts transition to track (some ONLY do pole vault, while others do high jump &/or long jump along with pole vault ... and some do hurdles and others just run).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back