Parents Punching up, not out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rufusgym889

Proud Parent
My daughter is working on front tucks and aerials on floor. She says she just can't wrap her mind around going up. As a result, her front tucks are very low and she has to put her hands down for her aerial. For front tucks, she tries to look at a high spot on the wall, but she still punches low and lands on her bottom most of the time.

Any tips on punching and traveling up instead of out?

P.S. Does doing an aerial have anything to do with flexibility? She is a lefty cartwheel but doesn't have her splits on this side. When others do aerials, she notices that the top part of their body is close to their legs, but this isn't the case for my daughter.

Any tips on punching and traveling up instead of out?

Do a ton of leg strength and stick your feet in front when you punch.

First pass...

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.16.22 PM.png

Here is the video...

Does doing an aerial have anything to do with flexibility? She is a lefty cartwheel but doesn't have her splits on this side. When others do aerials, she notices that the top part of their body is close to their legs, but this isn't the case for my daughter.

Yes... if you can do a great needle kick then you are already 1/2 way flipped before you take off. Most gymnasts do not do aerials for height... instead... gymnasts do them for quick rotation with little to no travel. It's easier for beam this way.

Yes to the flexibility re: aerials. My daughter is crazy strong but not overly flexible...aerial cartwheels do not come nearly as naturally to her as other salto tumbling. On the other hand, she has a friend who is super bendy and could do aerials before everything else.

With the front tuck, sounds like she might be punching off of flat feet instead of the balls of her feet. That will prevent you from going up. Aerials definitely need flexibility.

Aerials= flexibility. Honestly I see the super flexy little kids make it look easiest.
Front tuck- my advice is to squeeze the glutes while punching so she is not leaning forward. Do a long, low hurdle into a high front tuck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back