Parents Push for a Change?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDaze

Proud Parent
Lately I’ve been suggesting my DD consider a gym change. She does not want to consider it. Loves her friends, HC and gym owner. I’m not certain the gym is the best fit for her anymore. So question: Do I push this with DD or let her make the call?

Now the background: I’ve watched my passionate, self driven DD become insecure and burned out. She’s 12 (will be 13 for next season) and competed L5 last season. She wasn’t top of the podium but was consistent 34 or 35 AA all season. Current gym competes both L5 and L6. As of this year, they want girls to have most L7 requirements to move from L5 to L6 (BWO-BHS on beam; giants; cast to near perfect handstand, Yurchenko vault entry). If they don’t start the fall with all skills, they stay at L5 all year. Period. While I am well aware that it’s their gym and their call, I struggle with this change. If they’d been brought up through the program with these expectations then it wouldn’t be so bad, but I don’t feel this shift is fair to the girls. As it stands 5 of the 8 old L5 group left the gym. My DD wanted to quit because she didn’t think she will get all of the skills but decided to stick it out through summer. She’s very clear that she WILL NOT repeat L5. She has or is close on most skills, but struggles with BHS on beam. It’s a shoulder issue and we’ve been to PT, chiro, etc. with little resolution. But can do dive cartwheels for flight skill. Now she’s back to quit or switch to xcel gold. I’ve talked to parents from other teams and stalked CB. I think she may meet requirements for L7 per USAG and definitely L6. I really don’t like the “you’re not good enough” message she’s getting from current gym because she is starting to believe it. I would rather her go somewhere, anywhere, that would be more mindful of what their attitude does to young ladies. The group coaches are really rude to the girls and the parents, and punished the girls when the parents spoke up (HC came to us to ask if we saw issues and we answered honestly; we didn’t run and complain). My thought is change gyms and see how it goes. Can’t imagine the frustration would be worse at another gym. My hope would be a more positive environment and return of self confidence in a new gym.

So, what do you think? Push DD or let her make the call? If I push, thoughts on approach?

@GymDaze I will give my two cents and a story.

My daughter was a USAIGC gymnast. She had outgrown her coaches and her gym. As her dad, I knew she needed to move on. After competing in USAIGC states in 2017, I sat her down and told her how I felt. I told her I loved her and made it clear gymnastics was her sport but I needed her to go do trials to see what other gyms and coaches had to offer her. This was not an option it was a requirement. After the trials she was free to decide where she wanted to continue gymnastics, she could even stay at her old gym. She experienced 3 gyms two were not for her one was an instant match. She moved gyms and is currently happy.

If I were you I would require that she try a few gyms. It is not fair to her to let her love for gymnastics fizzle and die due to a gym's outdated advancement requirements. You as her mom knows what is best for her. You can see long-term while your tween daughter can not. Keep her involved in the decision making but make your requirements firm and clear. Hopefully, she sees that gymnastics is her journey and the friends made along the way are just a bonus. New friends come into your gym life and old friends leave but the gymnast's journey is always moving.

Every time my kids have had to switch gyms for any reason I’ve had to be the one to give a push. Intertia is a thing- they’re already where they know people and know what to expect, and that’s comfortable. Depending on the situation, my pushing has been from gentle conversations all the way to put a leo on right now, you’re trying a new gym or you’re not doing gymnastics anymore. How hard you need to go on that continuum depends on your kid’s personality and how strongly you feel about the change.

... I really don’t like the “you’re not good enough” message she’s getting from current gym because she is starting to believe it. I would rather her go somewhere, anywhere, that would be more mindful of what their attitude does to young ladies. The group coaches are really rude to the girls and the parents, and punished the girls when the parents spoke up (HC came to us to ask if we saw issues and we answered honestly; we didn’t run and complain).

To be honest, the advancement based on skills doesn't bother me as much as what I quoted above. You are going to find internal advancement policies no matter where you go and you have to either accept them or move. The part about the way they treat the athletes would, frankly, cause me to run away and not look back. Now, if this gym is known for producing high-level gymnasts and that is your dd's goal, then you have to accept their methods of move on. I believe it goes back to what your dd wants out of her sport (not what you want for her).

Good Luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back