WAG Q for the French in the room

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

over in France the vault is called 'saut' and the pommel is 'arcons'. pbs are barres parallels. High bar is barre fixe, asymmetric bars are barres asymmetriques, rings are anneaux. Landings are 'receptions', kips are bascule faciales.

Well...this may not be the type of vocab I'm going to need to do well in my classes overseas, but it sure is a lot more up my alley than memorizing French words for furniture and cooking utensils! "Petite bonhomme" for "squat on." Doesn't that literally mean "little guy"? Too funny! I love the cultural nuances that go into things like gymnastics skills.

Also, Natalia, thank you for the opinions and insight on the club near you and your DD. I actually saw your thread on it a while back and double checked to make sure the club I will be close to is not this one. It's not (yay!). I believe the one where I am is smaller, though I suppose I'll have to wait and see when I get over there.

"Petite bonhomme" for "squat on." Doesn't that literally mean "little guy"? Too funny! I love the cultural nuances that go into things like gymnastics skills.

Yes that is exactly what it means. Slang for a sole circle is peanut, and that is a bit like the way you look when doing it. Though do realise Quebec French terms may be different than France French terms.

Ideally you would be working hard on basic conversational French as that is what you will need. There is a French site that has gymnastics drills and skills, perhaps listening to that could be helpful in terms of tuning your ears and learning some basic gym terms. Not sure how much of it is free at this point, but the site is still worth reading.

http://www.gymneo.tv/

Kip. -Bascule
Giant -Soleil
Front giant - lune
Sole circle- peanut
Squat on- petite bonhomme
Vault- cheval
Hand spring- saut de mains
Flyaway- sortie back
Beam- poutre
Handstand - equilibre
Cartwheel - roue
Back tuck - salto
Floor- sol

In my club the sole circle is called a petit bonhomme tour. When you just get standing on the bar with call it a petite bonne femme.

A flyaway is probably more called a sortie salto. From what I've read on french forum, they don't say back or front. They'll probably say arrière and avant.

Back walkover: souplesse arrière or renversement arrière
Front walkover: souplesse avant or renversement avant
swing: balancé
roundoff: rondade
Tuck: groupé
Pike: carpé

There's even a variation in the terme used in Quebec province. So there must be difference there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back