WAG Qualifiers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Curios, it lists extra region 4 spots to Westerns in junior 3 and 6 as going to girls from region 5 and 7...is that right?

Curios, it lists extra region 4 spots to Westerns in junior 3 and 6 as going to girls from region 5 and 7...is that right?
Yes it appears that they are filling spots based on number of kids qualifying in that region.... Lauren explains it a little in the heading paragraph.

Is it odd to be sending gymnasts from Eastern regions to Westerns? I guess I assumed they'd keep L9 gymnasts in their same division (Eastern or Western, but not criss-crossing them from where they normally compete). Why wouldn't those extra Region 4 spots be filled from R1 & 3, for example?

I thought that you must score at least a 35 to move on? Several of the girls in Region 2 are listed with a qualifying score less than 35.

Is it odd to be sending gymnasts from Eastern regions to Westerns? I guess I assumed they'd keep L9 gymnasts in their same division (Eastern or Western, but not criss-crossing them from where they normally compete). Why wouldn't those extra Region 4 spots be filled from R1 & 3, for example?
There are nearly 300 more Level 9s in the Eastern region than the Western, perhaps that might have something to do with it.

Eastern half is bigger than Western so understand the reasoning behind sending kids from East to West, but what about coaches who will have kids at both meets?!

Eastern half is bigger than Western so understand the reasoning behind sending kids from East to West, but what about coaches who will have kids at both meets?!
Yeah...if there are other qualifiers competing in-Region, my guess is many won't be able to make the trek across the country.

Whole system is strange.

For nationals, they changed the system to a lot extra spots to region with most competitors in that particular age group.

However, for eastern/westerns it seems they are keeping old system of alotting slots based on the region that won that age group: so how is it possible to assign an eastern gymnast to a western spot? Perhaps chalkwarrior data is incorrect? Where are they getting info?

Whole system is strange.

For nationals, they changed the system to a lot extra spots to region with most competitors in that particular age group.

However, for eastern/westerns it seems they are keeping old system of alotting slots based on the region that won that age group: so how is it possible to assign an eastern gymnast to a western spot? Perhaps chalkwarrior data is incorrect? Where are they getting info?
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. And even if Westerns/Easterns are using same system as JO's, Region 1 and 3 actually had very similar numbers in those age groups(Junior 3 and 6) to Region 7, so doesn't really make sense that they would reach across the country to pull kids. It's not like there was a huge imbalance in those particular groups.

I am confused about some L9s NOT moving on to regionals.
Region 4 results aren't on mymeetscores, but are on myusagym.
There are some Region 4 L9 juniors who got their 34, but who are being replaced by other regions' kids (in at least 2 junior age groups). Is the only reason this happening if the kid is saying at Regionals they won't travel to Westerns? (and is that common for kids to decline their spot? I'd expect maybe one or 2, but we are talking about at least 4 declining if that is the case.)

And I fully agree with how on earth does the logistics work of sending, for example, some Region 7 kids to Westerns when their coaches will be back at Easterns. What a coaching nightmare!!

Yeah it didnt make any sense to us over here either...and one of our girls actually won at regionals, but got the last slot for westerns, wth?

Yes I just instructed all my coaches to push all levels to 9, this combined with the other gyms in my area will insure we have the largest number of 9's. ;)

Yes I just instructed all my coaches to push all levels to 9, this combined with the other gyms in my area will insure we have the largest number of 9's. ;)
You might be onto something coachp, civil disobedience! Just about every level 8 kid could manage a 34 at level 9. We could flood Regionals! And just to clarify, I am kidding(mostly).

It looks like ChalkWarrior has taken down the names of the athletes filling in the other regions spots. Probably best we wait for confirmation from USAG. I highly doubt a level 9 athlete who is an Eastern Region would take a spot in a Western Region.

It looks like ChalkWarrior has taken down the names of the athletes filling in the other regions spots. Probably best we wait for confirmation from USAG. I highly doubt a level 9 athlete who is an Eastern Region would take a spot in a Western Region.
I don't think USAG was clear the rules from what it sounds , no one is clear . so I am sure chalkwarrior was going off of what they thought was correct.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back