WAG Qualifying for Level 8 Regionals - Changes this year??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
A whole new world is opening up this season - Level 8 and the potential (and the goal!) of making it to regionals.
I know in some parts of the country, there is simply a minimum score (such as a 34AA) that a gymnast needs to make it to regionals. Some also have the "Super 8" or similar at the top of each age group - our region does not do that.
Last year our state (in Region 7) - took only the top 8 or so girls in each age group and they were the ones that advanced to regionals (so scores typically were in the 37s or the high 36s for qualifiers).
Now, there is some info floating around that seems to indicate an athlete needs to score a flat score of 34 or higher to qualify for regionals. This would mean that A LOT more girls qualifying for regionals than last year....
Does anyone have any info on changes to what it takes to qualify for regionals? And does each region set its own standards and criteria for who qualifies?

Wow, thank you - I hadn't seen this. This does explain it all. I wonder why that change was made? I know the kids will all be happier - so many more of them will get to compete - but that really is a HUGE change and there must be some catalyst for it!!!

We are also Region 7 and my daughter has been talking about about the new "34-for-regionals" rule as if it is fact. She mentioned it for the first time when the coaches returned from their summer training, so I assume she heard it from them. But, as I'm sure you know, sometimes with kids things get lost in translation, so I wouldn't swear that it's true.

I wish there was some sort of middle ground. I think it would be nice for more than just the top 7 in each age group got to go, especially in states like ours where that can mean the score cut-off is in the 37 or even 38 range, depending on the group. But 34 is only one point higher than the State qualification score (or is the State score a 32? I forget.), so that seems to take the prestige away from "making it to Regionals." My daughter scored close to a 35 at level 8 States when she wasn't flipping her vault or competing her giants yet, so clearly you can get a 34 without even having all of your level 8 skills. I think a cut-off score of 35 or 36 would be better.

But nobody asked me. ;)

We are also Region 7 and my daughter has been talking about about the new "34-for-regionals" rule as if it is fact. She mentioned it for the first time when the coaches returned from their summer training, so I assume she heard it from them. But, as I'm sure you know, sometimes with kids things get lost in translation, so I wouldn't swear that it's true.

I wish there was some sort of middle ground. I think it would be nice for more than just the top 7 in each age group got to go, especially in states like ours where that can mean the score cut-off is in the 37 or even 38 range, depending on the group. But 34 is only one point higher than the State qualification score (or is the State score a 32? I forget.), so that seems to take the prestige away from "making it to Regionals." My daughter scored close to a 35 at level 8 States when she wasn't flipping her vault or competing her giants yet, so clearly you can get a 34 without even having all of your level 8 skills. I think a cut-off score of 35 or 36 would be better.

But nobody asked me. ;)

These are really good points and I agree! It almost seems like something like a 34 would be a good score to qualify for States, and then a 36 to get to Regionals.....just to make it more prestigious like you say - but I'm just the peanut gallery!!

Our region (region 8) is a percentage (or was last year). I *think* our state took 48 girls (8 for state team and 40-ish for the all star team). Of course, that was last year and it will most likely change a little. I wish it was a specific score (our region does that for 9/10). It was a waiting game for dd last year, but luckily she made the all star in lv 7.

Lv 7 took 24 girls and lv 8 took 48

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back