WAG Qualifying to Nationals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

why would it being "easier" be unfair? when they get to nationals they all compete in the same session with the same judges. It's an age old argument...Let's redraw regional lines so that X state or region has a better chance. What people forget is that in the states in Region IV, there is often only ONE option within a reasonable commute and in other regions, people can switch, they have options that most of us DO NOT have.
Because in the region where it is harder to qualify, girls are getting left st hone with scores that are higher than in the “easier” region.

Because in the region where it is harder to qualify, girls are getting left st hone with scores that are higher than in the “easier” region.
Those same girls are often judged by judges that are "more" generous in one region than another. My opinion of course. Additionally, some of those who miss out on their own regions qualifying team, get to compete with regions that don't fill their squads, so are they really left home? Has anyone really done that analysis?

I don't have a level 10 gymnast, but I was just reviewing the age groups for Region 4, and it looks like the average age group has 9 girls in it. I know you have to also score a 35.00, but it seems like the changes are very very high that you'll make it to nationals if you make it to regionals. Are all the other regions like that? http://www.high5meets.com/region-4-...lY5HIE1DuV9p9Y4Jn7eNUCEqdXODMPD2C1rDkFmqC_HMk
No, Region 8 is large and very competitive. Often gymnasts with 37.500+ AA scores don’t even qualify to Nationals. I don’t know about other regions, this is just drawing on my knowledge of out Region.

Those same girls are often judged by judges that are "more" generous in one region than another. My opinion of course. Additionally, some of those who miss out on their own regions qualifying team, get to compete with regions that don't fill their squads, so are they really left home? Has anyone really done that analysis?
Scoring where I live is definitely not easier and I believe I am in one of the more populated regions. You brought up the “not necessarily unfair” comment and my point was, many people would disagree with that statement.

I know during awards kids that were in spots 8-9 were told you are competing for region ##. So somehow the my know how many spots need filled and which regions fill those spots. (I don’t know the process but it is obviously predetermined which regions fill the gaps )

Also, I’ve seen thus discussed many times. People have done the analysis, yes girls get left at home with much higher scores than from other regions.

R8 here. The SrF division has only 17 gymnasts but there are at least 10 in that age group who have scored 37.5. So even though the number is much less than other divisions in the region, the qualifying score will still be at least 37.0 and I am guessing closer to 37.5. All this to say that the number in a division does not necesarily mean and easier path to Nationals - at least not in highly competitive regions

why would it being "easier" be unfair? when they get to nationals they all compete in the same session with the same judges. It's an age old argument...Let's redraw regional lines so that X state or region has a better chance. What people forget is that in the states in Region IV, there is often only ONE option within a reasonable commute and in other regions, people can switch, they have options that most of us DO NOT have.
It may appear that way due to the number of gyms in a state/region, but that's deceiving. In R8, there are several states in this region that can't compete the 3 major states in the region because they have so few gyms. Even in my state, which sends a lot of girls to regionals, you really need to live near one of two major areas in order to be in a gym that routinely sends their girls to regionals. Otherwise, you are traveling 2+ hours each way. And even when you live near one of those two regions, you still could be traveling an 1hour each way.

This goes round and round every year.

The point of Nationals is to get gymnasts from all areas of the country.

It comes down to the fish in the pond thing. Big fish in a small pond. Small fish in bigger pond.

Folks make choices. And many times those choices require a move. Don't like the odds where you live, move to where the odds are better.

Then the argument becomes well then the training wouldn't be as good.

Choices. Those great scoring kids are getting noticed. Its more then Nationals.

Even in the Olympics many a kid could qualify in another country but not stand a chance if they are from the US or China.

I've never really done the homework... but what region ends up prevailing in the end usually? The top region? I think i know, but I think that ends up being a debate too! LOL

2018 - Region 1
2017 - Region 1
2016 - Tie Region 1 & 3
Usually 1, 3 and 5 battle it out, but region 8 is on the rise and took 2nd last year. Expect them to take the top spot any time now.
Lol shows how much I’ve looked into it! Thanks for posting! So guess it’s Region 1 which is what I figured. My daughter is a region 1 gymnast and it’s fierce competition!!

2018 - Region 1
2017 - Region 1
2016 - Tie Region 1 & 3
Usually 1, 3 and 5 battle it out, but region 8 is on the rise and took 2nd last year. Expect them to take the top spot any time now.
Were in region 8 and that’s exciting to hear! We’ve got some great level 10s this year who could definitely contribute to that happening!

Oh please let's not go down this path again...same thing happened last year. I couldn't believe how many people said my daughter only made it nationals because she was located in an "easy" region. Still makes me mad. And yes, there are 10 Junior As in region 4, that is the group my daughter is in. I thought there would only be 8 but 2 girls petitioned in, so now there are 10.

When I said Region 8 was coming on strong, was just referencing how much they have been improving in their standings in the super team competition at JO’s. Truly wasn’t trying to cheerlead for or against any regions.

FYI for anyone that might be on here not familiar with JO’s, They do team awards for each age group and then a super team award at the end that counts top scores across all age group for each region. You can find the team results for all the age groups from each year on USAG website.

2018 Super Team Results
First Place – Region 1
Second Place – Region 8
Third Place – Region 5
(Couldn’t find full results for this year to cut and paste, just top 3)

2017 Super Team Results
First Place – Region 1
Second Place – Region 3
Third Place – Region 5
Fourth Place – Region 8
Fifth Place – Region 7
Sixth Place – Region 4
Seventh Place – Region 6
Eighth Place – Region 2

2016 Super Team Results
First Place tie – Region 1 and 3
Third Place – Region 5
Fourth Place – Region 7
Fifth Place – Region 8
Sixth Place – Region 4
Seventh Place – Region 6
Eighth Place – Region 2

Speaking of regionals and nationals, is there somewhere to find the age breakdowns for L10 Nationals? I have a few different girls to stalk online, and I only know one age group for sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back